Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:15:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689610
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1st attempt at scratch building a house.  (Read 6560 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: 1st attempt at scratch building a house.
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 08:36:21 PM »
It depends on what type of building or effect youre trying for. At the moment it looks like a 1930's mock Tudor that's had a iffy paint job by the owner (that's not a dig at your model by the way).

Choose what sort of building you want first and then mock up a small sample section of the different building materials and have a go.

If you're going to drybrush it pays to be subtle and by that I don't mean lack of contrast but I do mean building the colour up gradually, using several tones progressively getting lighter and lighter.

There are several ways to do the panels and if you are going for an older building then they will have a more natural colour to them (dirty creamy/white for example). You can paint the panels in layers like you would a figure or you can use washes and drybrushing to varying degrees.

As I said before, it's all a matter of choice. Even finding some suitable images of the Internet can help enormously for you colour choices and where the weathering would go etc.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
  • "Left hand down a bit ...."
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »
The image that I 'borrowed' from the interweb seems to suggest some sort of generic structure that could be utilised as a townhouse in either a middle-European setting from the late medieval to Napoleonic eras or as a building in a fantasy setting (I'd post the picture but it's probably copyrighted).

As this was very much a test piece I've been keeping samples of the materials used, painted and unpainted, to experiment on as I go along.  The paintwork on the beams is supposed to reflect the colour of untreated timber and the cork on the walls has left a very good surface feel to it after a couple of coats of white.

The next step is to give the whole 'wooden' structure a wash of some description and use a different colour for the walls which is where a few tips would be handy (I'll probably go with the dirty cream/white as you suggested).  The chimney could do with some drybrushing I think.

Your thoughts anyone?
"My God, it's full of stars".  Dave Bowman.

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 10:07:09 AM »
That house looks very nice, I can't believe it's only your first attempt.
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 08:07:59 PM »
Hi CyberAlien - Yup, it's my first go at scratch building a house and I must say that it was inspired by what I've seen on this site and it was great fun.  The best part was planning the structure and seeing it take shape with the down side being cutting all the individual tiles for the roof.  But with Radio 4/4 Extra on in the background it was a lot less of a hardship.  I'm now planning my next building which might well have something of the H.P. Lovecraft about it.

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.pardulon-models.com
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 11:33:52 AM »
Nice work! I particularly like the windows, they fit very well with the overall style of the building.

I'd post the picture but it's probably copyrighted

That wouldn't happen to be this one? I recognize a few similarities ;)

Resin buildings, scenery and other useful stuff: www.pardulon-models.com

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
Respect where it is due, thet is bloody good for a first attempt- very neat! I tend to mesure things by eye, so my buildings have a wonky, lived in feel (ie they look shabby)
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 06:40:03 PM »
Thanks Zafarelli, as to the windows I used a duff Cd case and some painted masking tape.  The pic does indeed look like the one I 'borrowed' my inspiration from (I think that it's customary here to say 'all credit to the original artist').

And thanks too Rob_bresnen, I'm hoping to get a slightly 'shonky' look to it with the final paint job. I've got a derelict wooden building on my future build list so I'll keep your tip in mind.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 03:28:24 AM »
That is amazing!  I think it looks wonderful.

I really want to scratch build a house as well, and for a 'lovecraftian' setting too boot.

Any tips you can offer?

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 05:57:56 PM »
Hi supervike, many thanks for the kind comments.  As a first shot I was trying out different materials which I've mostly listed previously but I'd substitute balsa wood instead of spatulas and Uhu glue instead of Copydex not to mention double sided tape which was a godsend.  As for tools (and I'm looking at my workbench as I type), a sharp scalpel, a 6" steel rule and a cheap plastic set square are essentials.
As for inspiration - I'm currently reading "Necronomicon - The Best Weird Tales of H.P. Lovecraft" which can give food for thought as he's very up on his architectural descriptions.  But my main tool for pictures was Google images which can supply ideas and model railway forums which have some really splendid models on show.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 08:58:50 AM »
Excellent. Especially as you planned it well from the beginning. I am always modifying my first try of scratch built models and I seldom get anything properly finished!

Yes balsa wood is good for wooden beams and it gives more choice when painting: you can paint it with a light wash and let the grain of the natural wood be seen through the paint.

a 1930's mock Tudor that's had a iffy paint job by the owner (that's not a dig at your model by the way)
Funny, I have been thinking the same, as a compliment. I am experimenting to scratch-build a few buildings suitables for the 1930s-1940s, and I was thinking about some "medieval"-style houses with 1930-style iffy paint/plaster job added.

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 10:22:27 AM »
Thanks Patrice, I drew up the plans to size as the first stage which really helped me to realise what the finished structure might look like.

My balsa wood has just arrived from Evil Bay and I'm just about to start experimenting with it with washes etc. Can you recommend a good glue to use to bond it together ?  I've got some Uhu which I'll try out first.

I know what you mean about the mock Tudor look, I've just given the wall panels a coat of Almond craft acrylic which has toned down the Brilliant White emulsion nicely.  I'll post some more pics next time I have the camera out.