Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:45:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690988
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: obsidian3d's Supers Painting Thread  (Read 41682 times)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
obsidian3d's Supers Painting Thread
« on: July 20, 2012, 07:00:34 PM »
I used to play Heroclix, a lot.  It was my first real foray into miniature gaming of any kind.  As time went on I became more and more unhappy with the way the game was going, and when the 'special' powers came out I could only hold on a little while before I had to give up.  I just wasn't having fun playing against people who just wanted to win prizes in tournaments.  I wanted to play thematic comic-book battles, not mutants vs. scientists or some other lame 'theme'.  So my fairly massive Heroclix collection has sat collecting dust.

From time to time I would buy a Fast Forces pack or pick up the odd figure, but I had no desire to play.  But I do love my comic-book heroes and villains.  I've been running a weekly VS System group for years, but I needed something more.  So I went out and found SuperSystem 3rd Edition.  I showed the rules to my friends.  They're interested and want to play...and thus I needed figures.

I thought I'd start off with some of my personal favorites: Alpha Flight.  Here's my first effort at repainting and re-basing a Heroclix figure.  The colours didn't quite turn out how I'd hoped, but I'm happy enough with it to not feel embarrassed to put it on the table.  I've got some stats prepped for him and he's got a few teammates almost ready to join him.  I'll likely put together the entire original line-up over the next little while.

In retrospect I do sort of wish that I'd used the Wendigo figure for him instead, but I think I'll save that as an alternate form for Snowbird. :D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 04:41:53 AM by obsidian3d »
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Beowulf

• Assistant
Re: obsidian3d's Supers painting and modeling thread
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 08:20:01 PM »
Good work. Keep us posted on any updates, please.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:23:57 PM »
I think it is a great start and looking forward to seeing more.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 08:57:51 PM »
I think it is a great start and looking forward to seeing more.

Agreed on both counts. :)
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 08:16:01 AM »
I've got a few more Alpha Flight characters to add.  These are all repainted / touched-up Heroclix that have been re-based.

Shaman

Puck

Guardian

The team so far...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:17:37 AM by obsidian3d »

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 12:53:28 PM »
Looking good so far! I need to find some Alpha clix on the cheap.

Offline jdeleonardis

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »
Nice work there Obsidian!  Alpha Flight never gets enough love!
Check out my blog The Raptor's Nest

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 02:54:26 PM »
Lovely re-paints and basing! 

My only criticism lies with the Sasquatch figure, and it's not a critique of your excellent work.  He's too small!  Sasquatch is 10' tall and weighs 2,000 lbs.  This is not reflected in the figure's scale.  He's otherwise very good, but that little niggle always bothered me.

Anyway, great work! 

Your Puck is my fav, and Shaman is my second fav.

Keep up the great work! 

And if I may be so bold, here is my Wild Child re-paint!

Thanks!

Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »
Sweet, I forgot there was a Wild Child figure!  I'll have to add him to my list for my assorted Omega Flight that I'm planning.  I am having a hell of a time finding a figure that I can use as The Master, but I think I've found a decent figure to use as Fastback.  And of course there was a pretty good Diamond Lil back in Armor Wars, but they'll have to wait until I get the Alphans finished up first.

Thanks for the comments on the figures so far everyone.  Shaman and Puck are my favorites too.  The ironic thing is that THOSE two are the figures I didn't actually have to paint.  A quick Gryphonne Sepia wash is all I did to that Shaman figure.  Puck got the same, but needed a couple of touch-ups to the black.

Snowbird and an alternate form (Wendigo) are up next.  I just wish I knew where I could find some nice owl and polar bear figures to round it out.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 04:58:24 PM »
Sweet, I forgot there was a Wild Child figure!  I'll have to add him to my list for my assorted Omega Flight that I'm planning.  I am having a hell of a time finding a figure that I can use as The Master, but I think I've found a decent figure to use as Fastback.  And of course there was a pretty good Diamond Lil back in Armor Wars, but they'll have to wait until I get the Alphans finished up first.

Thanks for the comments on the figures so far everyone.  Shaman and Puck are my favorites too.  The ironic thing is that THOSE two are the figures I didn't actually have to paint.  A quick Gryphonne Sepia wash is all I did to that Shaman figure.  Puck got the same, but needed a couple of touch-ups to the black.

Snowbird and an alternate form (Wendigo) are up next.  I just wish I knew where I could find some nice owl and polar bear figures to round it out.

Are you trying to stick to Clix? You could use the Superfigs: Paragons (a duplicator) be easy to paint him up to be flashback.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 06:52:15 PM »
Nope I'm not restricting myself to Heroclix.  They're just what I've started with.  I'll probably be using a non-clix figure for Vindicator, because I want to do the geo-thermal green and white suit instead of the original one.

The Master is likely going to be the tough one.  I'll probably have to do some kitbashing for it, maybe one of the new Crossover figures will provide me with something I can use.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 07:09:25 PM »
For the animals check the Mage Knight lines.  That will keep things in the "plastic family" for the project. 

Also, there may be a Mage Knight figure you could use for a head swap for the Master.  I am thinking a Count Negaria body might work--the cape would be close.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 12:43:10 AM »
Always with the Alpha Flight you guys...

I need to start a Slingers or Squadron Supreme project so that I don't feel left out of the obscure metahuman race.  ;D

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 01:16:00 AM »
Always with the Alpha Flight you guys...

I need to start a Slingers or Squadron Supreme project so that I don't feel left out of the obscure metahuman race.  ;D

Squadron Supreme rocked, I loved the series...

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 04:28:31 PM »
Besides the Squadron's early appearances in the 1970's Avengers issues, my favorite story with them might be Defenders 110 - 113, in the early 1980's.

Of course, they were mind controlled.

The 12 issue series from the late, great Mark Gruenwald was also great, but served more as a deconstruction of the team than anything else.