Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:01:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 632
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Generic ECW army  (Read 7066 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Generic ECW army
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:45:51 PM »
Silly question but I am American  :` and this is a ECW question. ::)

I have a friend who is into ECW (unfortunately at the scale I am trying to avoid (25+ mm) for future armies) and I could ask him  o_o  but I don't want him to think I am seriously considering an army unless it could be dual purpose.

The sides were King and Parliament as I recall.  Were the uniforms similar enough that one could field an army that could be dual purpose - i.e., be reasonably painted to be Parliament in one game and Royalist in a different game or were the uniforms distinctive to a degree that such an army isn't possible?  Obviously units identified with one side (Cromwell's Ironsides?) probably would not be included in such an army.

Basically, could one field a force of pikes, muskets, and cavalry (basic elements of the period, right?) that could be successfully used as either side depending on the foe?

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Generic ECW army
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:53:54 PM »
With probably the sole distinction of the New Model Army, both sides wore similar uniforms when they got them, which was irregular. I imagine both sides wore, for a while a mix of issue and civilian clothing.  I don't think, unless you play a button counter, that it makes any difference. If you are buying the Warlord figures, for instance, you could buy some of the character models as commanders to show the difference.
You could also do a Covenanter Scots army, they fought on both sides depending on which Civil War you play. (There were, in fact, at least 6 civil wars)
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 10:10:22 PM »
Conquistador
In the same way I think in America you had Federalists and those non-federalists  who called themselves confedralists. Is that sort of right? ;)

lol

Apparently (from the above) the Scots were "equal opportunity supporters" in the ECW.

I think we missed that in the ACW.   ;)

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:12:55 PM »
With probably the sole distinction of the New Model Army, both sides wore similar uniforms when they got them, which was irregular. I imagine both sides wore, for a while a mix of issue and civilian clothing.  I don't think, unless you play a button counter, that it makes any difference. If you are buying the Warlord figures, for instance, you could buy some of the character models as commanders to show the difference.
You could also do a Covenanter Scots army, they fought on both sides depending on which Civil War you play. (There were, in fact, at least 6 civil wars)

:o

Reality!  Why can't reality b as simple as most war gamers want it to be?

So, 6... didn't know that.  But most Americans don't know who Manuel Antonio Chaves was either...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 10:25:24 PM »
There was a lot of shuffling of sides, the local commander of Gloucester had originally gone to Charles I to get a job, when nothing came up he became a Parliamentary Colonel and ended the wars as a General under Charles II.  I don't think that sides were as clear cut, but take Virginia in the ACW, as an example, which ended up as two states......

There were two Bishops Wars, an Irish Rebellion and three Civil Wars over a period of 12 years or so.

The Scots fought for and against the King, depending on who offered the best deals......

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 10:26:28 PM »
Sorry Glenn

But it would seem we on this side of the pond know a lot about things stateside (ACW, Mexico, 1812 etc.) but that awareness doesn't seem to cross the Atlantic very well.

I had a joke at your expense dude. Just a joke,

Oh understood.  And I am fine with that.  I have a terrible lack of war game knowledge outside of my personal and professional interests.  

That why I pretty much stick to American, Spanish, and (American) Indian forces.  My daughters (from Madras... correction, Chennai... and "found abandoned somewhere between Calcutta and Delhi") wanted me to make an army for India for my war games but I never found one that would fit in with my others.

LOL, my wife says Quebec never had an army... she's French-Canadian.

Gracias,

Glenn

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:28:44 PM by Conquistador »

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 10:28:39 PM »
My daughters (from Madras... correction, Chennai... and "found abandoned somewhere between Calcutta and Delhi") wanted me to make an army for India for my war games but I never found one that would fit in with my others.

Yes, America was a bit slow off the mark on the old Empire Building Game................ lol

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 10:33:12 PM »
Yes, America was a bit slow off the mark on the old Empire Building Game................ lol

My Cherokee (mixed blood) father might disagree about that.   lol   lol   ;)

Of Course my wife (adopted from Quebec and raised in a Polish-American family) likes to remind me that America managed to expand West and South but failed to expand to the North.   ::)   lol

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:34:17 PM »
and South but failed to expand to the North.

Alaska!  :D

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:37:32 PM »
My Cherokee (mixed blood) father might disagree about that.   Laugh   Laugh   Wink

I listened to an Irish-American criticising the British over the Potato Famine of the 1840s, totally oblivious to what his ancestors had done to the native Americans, by creating their bison famine, which was far worse........
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:50:38 PM by joroas »

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 10:52:35 PM »
I changed it to Bison, which is what Black Country folk use to have a wash........

Its late.......

Buffako steaks sounds good, though.......

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 10:53:46 PM »
Sorry, Conquistador, your thread has been hi-jacked.......  ;D

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 11:02:26 PM »
No, I haven't.......  8)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 11:05:11 PM »
Not to start a political discussion but I thought the Potato blight was caused by a plant disease?

Well, every nation has some practice that can be viewed askance from multiple decades later.  But a plant disease that probably came from America to Ireland on ships is a British problem?  I just don't get the logic in that.

Back on topic (where I plan to stay) it seems such an army could be reproduced just making sure not to add any elements that would be only associated with one side of the conflict(s) which is good to know.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 11:18:08 PM »
That is true, but the lack of aid and support from England has been, and was at the time, criticised.

Yes, a generic army would look okay.  Don't do a New Model Army or a Montrose Army, they are far more specific. What rules are you using?  The new Pike and Shotte from Warlord has a lot of background info and ideas on how to build an army and there are several Ospreys out there. Yankeepedlar has a new set of rules coming out, take a look at his sites for ideas.

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.freewebs.com/talesfromghq/apps/photos/album?albumid=4140775