Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:54:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "Softening" highlights that are too stark?  (Read 4877 times)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
"Softening" highlights that are too stark?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 01:27:20 PM »
Quote from: "Rhoderic"
Oh god, I've stripped and repainted the figures so many times I'm going insane!

May I speak frankly?

Don't do this - ever.  You will actually delay your improvement.

Paint a figure - completely, because lots of half-painted stuff will depress too - and finish it.  Resist the temptation to strip and repaint and instead, varnish it and take photos.  Then paint another figure - from scratch and finish it.  Then another, and another...  

I look back at stuff I painted a couple of years ago and am really pleased the way I have progressed.  I never stripped anything.  And if I had I suspect I would still be whgere I was two years ago.

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 02:18:37 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
It does sound like a good method. But ten coats for a pair of boots? Life's too bleedin' short for that kind of malarkey.

:lol: , yeah well it isn't that bad. Since the wash is so thin you can quickly do a coat then get back to working on another figure, 3-5 minutes later you do the next coat, then back to working on something else. So it can go pretty quickly while working on other figures or stuff.

-A
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 02:38:13 PM »
Quote from: "Orctrader"
Oh god, I've stripped and repainted the figures so many times I'm going insane!

May I speak frankly?

Don't do this - ever.  You will actually delay your improvement.

Paint a figure - completely, because lots of half-painted stuff will depress too - and finish it.  Resist the temptation to strip and repaint and instead, varnish it and take photos.  Then paint another figure - from scratch and finish it.  Then another, and another...  

I look back at stuff I painted a couple of years ago and am really pleased the way I have progressed.  I never stripped anything.  And if I had I suspect I would still be whgere I was two years ago.

Well actually, I did paint them "completely", with the exception of shield designs on those figures that had shields (the figures in question are Black Tree's fantasy Saracens, by the way). Each time, most surfaces got four layers of highlights (over a basecoat and ink wash). The second try was my failed attempt at underpainting, but I still did all the shading and highlighting, only in monochrome that time around.

I do think I've gotten better with each try. Keep in mind that prior to this, I had had little experience with layering, I was strictly an inks-and-drybrushes kind of painter, saving "regular" highlights only for small detail, and even then only one layer. From my point of view, I'm getting a lot of much-needed practice in by stripping and re-painting these figures.

This time around, I'm skipping the inks, they make the shading too dark. And I probably won't strip them again, I'm starting to feel bloody exhausted :sleep:  :sleep:  :sleep:
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 02:41:50 PM »

This time around, I'm skipping the inks, they make the shading too dark. And I probably won't strip them again, I'm starting to feel bloody exhausted :sleep:  :sleep:  :sleep:

I was actually just about to say that. I used to use inks all the time because GW said you should. Then someone pointed out that it made the contrast too heavy so I only use them very sparingly these days.

I can't guarantee I always get it right, mind, but I'm happier with the results.  :)