Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:58:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New command pack for EIR range- Aventine  (Read 6345 times)

Offline Aventine

• Scientist
New command pack for EIR range- Aventine
« on: July 23, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »
Just added the next command set, a Senior foot command. There are two packs listed but they are really the same apart from the heads for the Centurion. The packs each have a choice of two different helmets one set for the earlier period and one for the later.

Cheers

Keith
Aventine Miniatures

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: New command pack for EIR range- Aventine
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 05:22:14 PM »

:-*
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 05:24:24 PM »
They really are splendid  :-* :-* :-*
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 05:44:39 PM »
Yup, some lovely minis, there.

How are you defining the "earlier period", Keith? 

I very much like the head in what I think of as a tribune's helmet, his head look very good on your Republican mounted Generals...

Simon

Offline Aventine

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 05:58:22 PM »
Hi Simon

I am a great believer in the theory that helmets were in use for a long time and that no Roman unit in the field would all have the same equipment but others like uniformity( I mix them). To that end I call the Gallic I&J helmets (100AD->) the early period for our range and the Italic H the later (150AD or thereabouts). The fancy helmet with the bird crest is a separate casting and therefore useable on other figures with ease....lol

(I am not an expert, I only make the things so I am always open to those that have better knowledge than myself.)

Cheers

Keith

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »
Hi Keith, I'm no expert either!  :-)  I do love the elaborate greaves.

Bird helmet is a corker, I'll bag one on my next order. 

I've just painted those last generals you sent me, photos early next week.

Cheers, Simon

Offline VonMoltke

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 09:15:13 PM »
@Keith
Great addition and fantastic sculpts.
If in the future there also will be standing praetorians, my next bigger order come in ;)
Can you please tell the community which packs are planed next?

Cheers
Helmut

Offline Aventine

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 11:08:58 PM »
Standing Praetorians are nearing completion and should be ready this week. We have some small sets for other ranges that we have promised to do so they need to be started. Then it will be the scale, mail figures for the aux and legionaries I think.

Hope that helps

Keith

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 08:44:49 AM »
A very nice addition, Keith. :) I like their ornate attire, and the interchangable heads are a great idea. A minor quibble, though: The centurion's right forearm suffers from the same problem as some of the pilum-throwing legionaries: It appears to be too long. The proportions of arm and armour might work in reality, but in the 'compressed' dimensions of 28mm it looks odd, unfortunately.

I very much like the head in what I think of as a tribune's helmet, his head look very good on your Republican mounted Generals...

A bit of nit-picking, if you don't mind: Using the "eagle helmet" for Republican Romans would be quite a stretch. The original (LINK) comes from Frankfurt, Germany, and so dates at the earliest to the 2nd century AD. The angled lower cheekguards of this piece (a feature missing on the model) narrow it further down to an item contemporary to the Niederbieber type helmets, which originates in the late 2nd century AD and was seemingly in widespread use during the 3rd century. Added to that, the fancy design – a (very) pseudo-Attic face mask put back to reveal Alexander-like curls – and decorations strongly resemble 3rd century "parade" helmets. Thus, my recommendation is to better go for Aventine's genuine Republican range. ;)

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 08:52:59 AM »
...ah but I was thinking of using it to replace some of the pseudo-Corinthian helmets, so as to to make the Republican generals much later in period (as the generals for this range aren't released yet). 

Cheers, Simon

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »
Oops, completely misunderstood that. Shows nothing than me being a back seat driver then. o_o

Offline Aventine

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 12:10:41 PM »
Hi Mad Doc

Thanks for the honest appraisal, I have to say that I didn't see the right arm issue as I was casting. I will take more photos of the figure from different angles to check that it isn't just an optical thing.

Cheers

keith

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 12:37:48 PM »
Hi Mad Doc, to explain a bit, I've been using Aventine's mounted Republican generals for my 69ADish EIR army, in the absence of any nice, bigger 28mm mounted EIR generals.  The only thing that seems to be "off" to me for using them for this period is the Corinthian helmet I mentioned, and I'm looking out for heads with helmets suitable for that period- I might use the head from the BTD tribune on foot, for example.   Reading your notes, though, the eagle helmet sounds rather too late for me.

Cheers, Simon

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
Keith, the pose I'm referring to is this one:

Since several people have asked me about "the arm issue", there might be a point. And the centurion model looks like it was built from the same or a similar armature.

Simon, certainly you've already considered the general packs from both Foundry and Warlord. The models might be too small, but their slightly oversized heads might fit onto Aventine bodies. The laureate helmets are a nice 'period' touch, too.
However, I would think that those Pseudo-Corinthian helmets were valued items and still worn among the Roman nobility of Imperial times – if more for their ancient look than actual practicability. ;)

Offline Aventine

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 03:44:11 PM »
Hi Mad Doc

I have looked very carefully at the new figures and I agree that there is an issue but I don't think it is as pronounced as in the EIR1 figures shown above. It seems to be the armour making the arm look longer than it is in the same way women wear strips or is it bands to make then look thinner...lol

Anyway here are a couple of shots showing the figures from differing angles.

And one showing how they look on the table.

I would like to add that when painted and in a unit they are not an issue.

Cheers

Keith