Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:56:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My Sin City Project (Yes, more Standees.)  (Read 9618 times)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
My Sin City Project (Yes, more Standees.)
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:12:36 PM »
Hello fellow Lead Adventurers!

The Lead Adventure forum is a great source of inspiration, and after seeing Orctrader's excellent Cultists and Ghouls, the latter painted in a monochrome scheme, as well as this Wargames Painting & Modelling article I decided to have another go at a project I initially startet a few months ago.

Most of you will know the comics or the movie, I always was a fan of all artwork that is stylistically unique, and Sin City's stark black and white contrasts is one of my favourites.

While playing around in Photoshop I somehow thought about playing Sin City on the tabletop, recreating all those great fight scenes from the movie; Marv beating up a bunch of riot cops in an apartment building, Dwight and the Girls in a shootout with a team of foreign mercenaries at the tar pits, and so on.

There is, in fact, an official Sin City boardgame, but it's pretty abstract with the Sin City theme pasted on to cash in on the franchise. At least that's what I think about it from reading the description  and looking at the game board without having played it. Cards... Counters... NO MINIATURES?!? Thanks, but I'll pass ;)

So as usual I had to build my own game components. I used the tried and tested TLX system by World Works Games and converted the textures to Sin City's pure black and white style, using custom textures from free web sources where needed. I guess it's heavy on the black ink cartridge, but luckily I have a spare b&w laser colour printer that is just fine for the job and in fact prints large black areas (such as on the streets) better than my Canon inkjet printer.

Instead of the TLX anchor system (which is the only thing I hate about it, those anchor tabs looks out of place once folded up), I again used rare earth magnets for the posts and tiles, a system I originally used in my Mayhem: Apartment TLX Promo build... Revisited! project.

Of course, Sin City needs it's corrupt cops, desperate dames and hard-boiled detectives, so I converted a bunch of suitable Standees I already had on my hard disk to the same black and white style as the scenery.

Enough talking, let's see some damn photos!

Today, I quickly threw together (actually it took the whole day) a small scene of a mysterious murder being investigated by the police in a dark alley. I put a little piece of cardboard with a chalk outline on the ground, with a puddle of red blood that is the only thing that's not black or white in the scene, keeping in line with Frank Miller's style of only using color for important elements, and the movie that used red blood in the "The Hard Goodbye" segment.

The car is from World Works Games' Mayhem Bank set, also converted to black and white, of course.

I set up a single LED light source and increased the contrast of the photo, everything else is jsut as it looked in reality.

Below you can see the whole uncropped scene to get an idea of the setup I used. Obviously I only used the most bare-bones amount of elements needed in order to complete this scene as fast as possible.

Now, as for the game itself, I haven't dug deeper into what rulesystem to use or what style of game to create. It will most likely focus on very limited skirmishes with a maximum of four characters on the "good" player's side and roughly double that amount for the baddies. The terrain will also be limited in scope to get to the action quickly without wasting turns sneaking around the board with no enemy in sight.

The "hero" characters will have various special abilities and equipment and of course be very hard to kill. Scenarios could be anything from the iconic fights from the source material mentioned above or entirely new settings with fresh characters.

Two rulesystems I've looked into are .45 Adventure and Savage Worlds: Showdown. I'd ideally like to have a system that supports campaign play and character advancement. Maybe I'll also take a look at The Department and just disregard the SciFi stuff :)

I really don't know where this project will end up and if I'll ever get so far as to be able to play it, so for now I regard it as a pure "fun project" like my Hired Guns project.

So long! See you in Basin City! ;)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 09:15:04 PM by Cherno »

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
Re: My Sin City Project (Yes, more Standees.)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:01:40 PM »
I LOVE these kinds of projects! They're fantastic for their artistic creativity.

Yeah, definitely will be watching this!

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 04:44:12 AM »
very cool!
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 02:05:54 PM »
Made some new photos :)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 08:37:45 AM »
That is outstanding!  8)

In fact, your standee fetish is perfectly suited to capture the look and feel of both (other) media.

The stark lighting, with the resulting sharp shadows, also mimics the deep contrasts of Miller's work, so really complements your already excellent artwork.

Keep it up; I'm following this with much interest!
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 08:43:40 AM »
Very cool. I love it!

Offline verd

• Scientist
    • El Senyor Verd
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 12:00:32 PM »
 Well done! It's a nice and original idea  :-*

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 01:01:30 PM »
Snazzy! Very atmospheric.  :-*
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 03:57:02 PM »
Fantastic project!! I was preparing an Undead army with One Monk paperminiatures but I move and now the laser-copies are a bit expensive here (comparing the price I used to pay where I used to live)!! Black and white games would be a perfect way to continue some paperprojects indeed!!

Thank you for posting!!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 02:17:50 AM »
Really a beautiful look.

Offline TerryC

• Student
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 02:50:13 AM »
Now this is a project to watch.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 03:39:29 AM »
Looks sharp! I loved that movie.
Will follow this with great interest.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »
Thanks for all your kind comments :)

I wouldn't have thought there'd be a big amount of interest in this project as it really was something I thought of by pure random chance... I figure after my Strange Aeons project which used paper and cardboard exclusively I could try to create another unique style on the tabletop, by pushing it even further and making it black and white. It remains to be seen how a larger scene will look and if the scenery will still look good when the one-source lighting is replaced by normal ambient room lighting.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 06:36:06 PM »
I'd say use one 100W bulb in the room, but not directly over the table and stark lighting is a non issue... :D

Offline Groove51

• Librarian
    • Small Guys Rule
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 09:59:26 AM »
Nicely done!