Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:54:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Fireforge medieval thread. P31. Yet more Bobs!  (Read 125858 times)

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks lads :)

Lovely :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Are the shields free hand?

Thanks Colin. They are indeed.

I'm really jealous of how consistent your heraldic lions are! I cannot for the life of me get them looking correct!

Truthfully, if you look closely, they're actually all over the place in terms of the details. But superficially they look consistent enough, which is the main thing :)

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
Those Bobs are truely fab.  :o
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Some utterly nice freehand lion rampants, there, Richard.

Offline LazyStudent

• Librarian
Awesome painting! And the Bobs are certainly a bunch to be reckoned with! At the rate they're going they'll need their own revolting peasants faction before too long!!

An odd question. What color did you use to paint the shoes on the armored figures? The red/orange brown leather is great, and I don't think I've seen it before.

Thanks,
LS
"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God

The shoes and other red leatherwork are all done using Vallejo 'Red Leather', and then with a bit of Vallejo 'Bright Orange' and a tiny touch of white mixed in for the highlights.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Beautiful work! Thank your for sharing recipe too!

Any trick to get those freehand shields to be so consistent as well as beautiful? Like ... do you start with a stencil for the overall shape or something ... or are you just a god?

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
No. It's just a little time, patience and a sharp point on a fine brush :)

Using a very thin, watered down mix of paint to start with, just rough out the shape of the heraldic device.
Then gradually firm it up in more solid colour, touching in the background field colour to tidy up the form of the device as it takes shape.
It's about painting in the background colour to help in forming the shape of the device, as much if not more than actually painting the shape itself.

The great thing about painting (unlike say, carpentry, or practical DIY, at which I am utterly useless BTW) is that you can constantly adjust and readjust. You're never irredeemably committed. If a line or shape looks slightly wrong, then just paint over it. Keep painting over and adjusting the areas you're not happy with until you end up with a piece of heraldry you are happy with :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Captain Blood's Fireforge medieval thread. P27, more paintwork!
« Reply #442 on: February 16, 2020, 01:46:43 PM »

So that's, l-to-r, Bob the baker, Bob the bowman, Bob the brewer, Bob the bumboat man, Bob the butcher and Bob the builder.

Lovely, but surely you need a Bob the Candlestick maker to complete the set?

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist

Using a very thin, watered down mix of paint to start with, just rough out the shape of the heraldic device.
Then gradually firm it up in more solid colour, touching in the background field colour to tidy up the form of the device as it takes shape.
It's about painting in the background colour to help in forming the shape of the device, as much if not more than actually painting the shape itself.

The great thing about painting (unlike say, carpentry, or practical DIY, at which I am utterly useless BTW) is that you can constantly adjust and readjust. You're never irredeemably committed. If a line or shape looks slightly wrong, then just paint over it. Keep painting over and adjusting the areas you're not happy with until you end up with a piece of heraldry you are happy with :)

Well that is beautifully done!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius

Knowing you haven't got another three hundred of 'em, waiting to be done helps morale tremendously, too!

:o
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline dan97526

• Assistant
« Reply #445 on: March 05, 2020, 06:38:05 PM »

I've also repurposed one of my WOTR characters to play the part of the baby-eating Bishop of Hereford...

And I remembered that I had these monks amongst my Elizabethan swashbucklers. So they'll be pressed into service as supernumeraries for this setting as well. Perhaps as the Bishop's entourage... (I painted these about 10 years ago, so not quite as good as today's efforts! ;))

Cap'n, I could use these figures myself. If you recall, would you share the manufacturer?  Thanks!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Lots of great stuff in this thread but those Bob’s steal the show! Respect.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #447 on: March 06, 2020, 12:03:31 AM »
Cap'n, I could use these figures myself. If you recall, would you share the manufacturer?  Thanks!

Yep, the bishop was a Pro Gloria figure, that range is now owned by Warlord Games, so I expect he’s somewhere in their Renaissance range...

The other three are Foundry figures. The monk / friar in the centre is from the Sea Dogs range by Mike Owen.

The other two monks are from the Eldorado Adventurers range by Mark Copplestone.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
They look a cunning and terrible bunch.  May they smite their enemies without mercy.

-Michael

P.S. Is there going to be a Bob the Village Idiot?

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
What an awesome thread. So many great characters!