Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:20:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nitpicky Tramp Steamer question: What is this thing on the flying bridge?  (Read 6214 times)

Offline Schweizer

• Librarian
    • The Crogan Adventures
Hey, everyone.  I know this is like the tenth tramp steamer question I've asked, so I appreciate everyone's patience.  I'm nearing the end of building a steamer that I've been working on since probably late April (pictures will be up as soon as I'm done, at least with the exterior and bridge interior), and have been using as reference (amongst other things) the Venture from the new KING KONG movie. 

I noticed one item with which I wasn't familiar, and was hoping that someone here might be able to tell me what it is.  I assume it's an antenna for the wireless, but seeing as the movie takes place in the 30s and my boat is supposed to be circa 1919 I want to make sure that the technology affixed to this particular type of antenna was in use at that time.  Any thoughts would be welcomed!

Check out THE CROGAN ADVENTURES, a historical adventure graphic novel series available from your local bookstore or comic shop (or, of course, Amazon).  I make 'em.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
My history here is very sketchy, but I seem to recall the two earliest antennae were loop antennae and dipole antennae, both of which predate the turn of the century. That may well be a diamond loop antenna.

As far as wireless adoption goes, it was adopted militarily by about 1900-1905, and before WWI, most higher-end ships (passenger liners, mail ships, etc.) were equipped with wireless as well. After WWI, cheaper radio sets spread wireless down to even the poor men of the seas, the tramp steamers, rusting freighters etc. but this still took some time.

If it's 1919, it's easily possible that a tramp steamer could afford a wireless set, but that's early enough that only the more diligent tramp captains would invest in such a thing. They really weren't ubiquitous until the 30's.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
However, given the questionably legal nature of previous actions of the Captain and crew, I would imagine they'd want one just to find out if the authorities were looking for them.  :)

Offline Schweizer

• Librarian
    • The Crogan Adventures
Thanks, Fram!  Actually, a lack of one would make for potentially smoother story possibilities, so I'll go that route.  Thanks for the info!