Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:10:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Star wars rules  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
Star wars rules
« on: August 01, 2012, 04:10:42 AM »
What is the best set of rules for Star wars miniatures?
I have West ends original boxed starter and Wizards of the coast starter set but have never played either.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 11:36:57 AM by Miniman »
No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
Re: Star wars rules
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 04:36:59 AM »
I haven't played the WEG rules but WOTC are fairly straightforward, easy to pick-up and easy to remember...very thin rule book. I'd recommend them.

If only Warhammer was so easy, maybe I'd play it more...
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 04:45:19 AM »
I haven't played the WEG rules but WOTC are fairly straightforward, easy to pick-up and easy to remember...very thin rule book. I'd recommend them.

If only Warhammer was so easy, maybe I'd play it more...

Agreed.  My family and I have played hundreds of games using the WOTC ruleset. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 05:21:00 AM »
I played a bit of the WOTC rules when they first came out, but I feel they'd be not great for larger battles. Maybe Fast and Dirty or another generic set?

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 01:18:32 PM »
Fubar, pretty sure there are star wars lists,stats etc out there for it. free, simple and quick to play.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »
Blasters and Bulkheads

Designed for space opera play.  Goalsystem rules are tight and very fun.

~Eric

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 12:09:08 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.
@aliensurfer Fubar might work I downloaded those related to Star wars. I will check them out.

@Doomsdave and Johnno
The only downfall I see with WoTc is you need all those cards which I will have to get my hands on.
I was hoping the WEG rules would be more of a favorite as it seems to be fairly complete for starters.

@HatGuy is Fast and dirty availible?
@emills Interesting

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 01:21:11 AM »
http://www.freewebs.com/weaselfierce/

It works well for unit to unit combat. Not so great if you want characters. That's the balance I want to find with my own Star Wars stuff (in the lead mountain).

Now I'm thinking 3rd Ed 40K...

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 05:32:59 AM »
My vote goes to Savage Worlds. It's a role playing game system that incorporates miniatures seamlessly. It's very cinematic and scales well between personal combat and epic land battles. The only problem I can see is it has to be refereed. It works better with all the players playing one side and the GM running the other side. Since that's how I like to run miniatures games it isn't an issue for me. For some this may be a deal breaker.   

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 05:07:55 PM »
I love the minis that WotC made and most paint up pretty well if you don't mind the softer bendy plastic, but I found the WotC rules were WAY too shallow for my taste so I use Infinity rules with Star Wars figs. Painted up a Rebel and an Imperial force using the WotC figs and used them for counts-as Ariadna and Pan-Oceana units (AT-STs make absolutely perfect Armored Cavalry-JOTUMS analogues). I prefer real terrain, but we found that the printed maps work pretty darn well with Infinity if you just ignore the squares. Infinity is VERY reliant on having lots of LOS-blocking terrain and a heavy amount of cover which was exactly what the Star Wars maps were designed for. All the rules for Infinity are free as well and they even have an online army builder that prints out a cheat sheet for your army.

Alternately, you can find the WEG rules fairly cheap on Ebay. They were really good when they came out, but they are very dated by todays standards (it is not a fast game by any means). Also, you're limited to original trilogy or doing a lot of conversion work and some of the models from that game are hard to find and were never remade by WotC, or were rare figures that will cost you a lot.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:12:00 PM by kalamadea »
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 06:24:09 PM »
Star Wars Miniatures:  Campaign Edition

takes the basic rules up a notch or two and add a few RPG-lite elements and stats to make your own characters

free download too

http://www.swmgamers.com/download.php?view.1

and there are more expansions
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 03:03:09 AM »
Well I pulled out my Battle on Hoth models I bought back in the 80's. I bought 2 MPC "Battle on ice planet Hoth" and also a MPC "Rebel base" Diorama's. They are 10mm scale and gives me enough to recreate that battle scene from "The Empire strikes back" (reminds me of micro armour)
I checked out rules and the "FUBAR Star Wars" set seems to work good for this scale. With so many units it is simple and will keep the game moving. It seems to have enough detail as well.

For other settings like skirmish battles on the deathstar. I will try out WoTC and WEG's and maby some others.
So many good sugestions to choose from.