Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:59:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690713
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Source for 15mm US, UK, Iran, and Russian armies.  (Read 9028 times)

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
Source for 15mm US, UK, Iran, and Russian armies.
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:57:51 PM »
Which manufacturers should I be looking at for these nations armies?

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Source for 15mm US, UK, Iran, and Russian armies.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 01:30:52 PM »
For ultra modern?  Go 20mm IMO.  Start with Liberation/RH and Elhiem.  Hang out at the Guild for ideas.

I will guess that you are playing Force on Force or Ambush Alley?
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 02:07:08 PM »
15mm is perfect for modern gaming unless you want to be playing major armoured engagements (in which case 6mm is the way to go).

Take a look at the ranges from QRF, Peter Pig and Quality Castings (via Old Glory 15mm). QRF particularly have a huge range and are great guys to deal with.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 02:20:38 PM »
15mm is IMO better suited.

Try also Arsenal M http://www.arsenalm.de/cgi-bin/lshop.cgi; they have 1:87 modern armour kits that fit very nicely to 15mm figs.
See: http://imperialarmour.blogspot.de/search/label/T-90 by tacobat.

T-90 by Arsenal M Infantry by Peter Pig

Also: IrishSerb http://www.adpublishing.de/html/15mm_modern.html
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 04:22:14 PM »
15mm is IMO better suited.

Try also Arsenal M http://www.arsenalm.de/cgi-bin/lshop.cgi; they have 1:87 modern armour kits that fit very nicely to 15mm figs.
See: http://imperialarmour.blogspot.de/search/label/T-90 by tacobat.

T-90 by Arsenal M Infantry by Peter Pig

Also: IrishSerb http://www.adpublishing.de/html/15mm_modern.html

Ah! Thank you Agis! The US minis fit, and I can at least purchase the Fedayeen and get use out of those. I just have to find Russian and British forces now.

And Ragnar, I'm not sure which rules to use. I could use some help choosing.

Should I convert some Panzer models for the Zulfiqar?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:43:04 PM by MajorTalon »

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 02:02:38 PM »
I believe that Eureka have Russian and Chechen ranges imminent.

John

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »

John

In 15mm? It seems they only do 28mm.

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 09:55:14 PM »
And Ragnar, I'm not sure which rules to use. I could use some help choosing.

Hmmm, I don't actually do much in the way of ultra modern gaming so I am not the best to ask.  However:
-Ambush Alley is for low level unbalanced games, typically, a regular section or platoon vs hordes of 'Insurgents'.
-Force on Force is the big brother of AA and is the same system for balanced forces i.e. both sides treated as regular.
Both of these systems might be a bit unwieldy if you have more than a platoon a side.

I have used FoF for a 1980s scenario and enjoyed it.

Apart from that, I don't really know.  I have bought but haven't played WRG rules 1950-1985, WRG rules 1950-2000 (don't ask, the perils of drunken ebaying) and Challenger 2000.

Edit: The last 3 sets of rules are more a traditional sort of game whereas FoF and AA are a bit more innovative.  They have a good (imo) action and reaction system.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:00:51 PM by Ragnar »

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 10:05:35 PM »

John

Got a link?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 12:30:03 AM »
Ambush Alley and Force on Force have been combined as just 'Force on Force', so any type of game is covered now. However same level as before, so less than a company a side plus supports.

It all depends on what sort of game you're looking for really... no one set will meet all of the differing types of game folk like to play. If you're planning an armoured slug-fest with some token infantry, then FoF might not be for you.

:)

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 03:46:53 AM »
Will Force on Force work with 15mm though. The image below is a VERY rough sketch of my ideaa for a board.

Oh, and this iis my projects official theme. :D

Oh, and my first purchase, was a Maisto Tailwind AV-8b Harrier, which scales to approxmately 1:87.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 10:13:52 AM »
Will Force on Force work with 15mm though. The image below is a VERY rough sketch of my ideaa for a board.

Force on Force will work better with 15/20mm than with 28s imo, purely for the more realistic looking engagement distances. They will work with anything though. My only reservation is that some people don't like the mechanics and you might be one of them... then again it could go completely the other way. I can't suggest an alternative though, I'm quite old-school and 'ultra-modern' to me is 1980, so I tend to use modified WW2 rules, or stuff like 'Charlie don't surf' as well as FoF.

;)

It's early in the morning and I'm my usual dopey self, but you're planning on a single fixed board? How will you reach anything in the middle? Won't you get bored of fighting on the same battlefield after a few games? No, I must have this wrong.

:? 

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 10:43:44 AM »
Force on Force will work better with 15/20mm than with 28s imo, purely for the more realistic looking engagement distances. They will work with anything though. My only reservation is that some people don't like the mechanics and you might be one of them... then again it could go completely the other way. I can't suggest an alternative though, I'm quite old-school and 'ultra-modern' to me is 1980, so I tend to use modified WW2 rules, or stuff like 'Charlie don't surf' as well as FoF.

;)

It's early in the morning and I'm my usual dopey self, but you're planning on a single fixed board? How will you reach anything in the middle? Won't you get bored of fighting on the same battlefield after a few games? No, I must have this wrong.

:? 

Mmm, you're right. I'm gonna get back to the drawing board.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 11:36:18 AM »
Mmm, you're right. I'm gonna get back to the drawing board.

No worries... we've all been there (some of us still are :D ). If you're going down the 'awesome terrain' route, modular pieces are the way to go. Decide on a size for your boards... say 2' square and grid off a piece of paper, or use MS Paint, whatever, then draw your battlefield over it. If you make sure that continuous features (roads, rivers, ridges etc) enter/exit at the same point on the board edge (most people use the centre of each, but off-setting them makes for even more variation!), you can swap them around in almost infinite combinations.

The length of your table is up to you, but as a rule 3' is usually the maximum reach distance from either side, so 6' is pretty much your maximum width. Mileage varies between people, but a 6'x4' table should be quite adequate for 15mm, with 6'x6' or 8'x6' tables as a useful maximum. 

The 'Workbench' board here will offer some inspiration, or even direct copies of what other people have done is ok (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all). A Google search will also net a variety of articles about how different people have gone about building their terrain. Don't ignore the Warhammer or 40k sites either, the principles are the same whatever your gaming poison and some of those layouts are amazing!

Having said that... a 'sand coloured' cloth and a few buildings, hills, whatever, can still look quite effective and will do duty until you've built your boards.

I hope none of that sounded patronising, I'm assuming you're new to the hobby, so apologies if I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs!

:)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 12:00:25 PM »
I prefer 20mm, there is way more stuff out there in 20mm/1/72nd than 15mm and 28mm put together. The ranges are far more complete and lean more towards the cold war and ultra modern setting, whereas 15mm tends to be a bit scratchy, and you'll find it hard to find stuff thats come into service in the last decade, or prototypes for near future engagements etc.

But QRF is the only 15mm company I'am aware of really... That do a large range of Moderns at least, Khurasan has some bits, Peter Pig... and there was a company recently (that I can't remember for the life of me) that does Iranian and American forces in 15mm. CP models do some bits as well, such as Iraqi's and SAS.

Thats all that comes to mind.