Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:37:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Artizan Pinkertons now available  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Artizan Pinkertons now available
« on: February 21, 2008, 05:46:21 PM »
And very nice they look too. Two packs - six figures so far with mounted variants promised. Just about to put my order in :)

http://www.artizandesigns.com/
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 05:50:27 PM »
I was planning to use some Brigade Victorian Gangsters avec pistols for Pinkerton thugs. Maybe I'll use these guys as the directing agents.

God damn do the Pinkertons make great thugs.  8)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 05:53:07 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
I was planning to use some Brigade Victorian Gangsters avec pistols for Pinkerton thugs. Maybe I'll use these guys as the directing agents.

God damn do the Pinkertons make great thugs.  8)

Between you and me and the gatepost I am going to use these as my shadowy Victorian British Government agents, the Men In Black... Bowler Hats. 8)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 06:11:35 PM »
Season three of Deadwood certainly put me to rights about the Pinkertons. Way back in my head I had an image of them as upright men with a keen sense of law and duty. I think I was imprinted there as I read Blueberry comics as a young lad.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 06:13:41 PM »
For an eye-opener about the Pinkertons just read about the Homestead riots. They were little more than hired muscle who would shoot down their own grandmothers if the price was right.

Of course I have a lot of honest miners and steelworkers in my lineage, so I might be biased.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 06:25:59 PM »
Railroad workers on my side.

I do like the idea of using them as Men In Black, wandering around the West using British syntax and vocabulary in faked American accents.

"Say there, dear pardner, where might I find a pub at this time of day? Powerful hot, ain't it? Pip pip, then."

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 06:46:53 PM »
Has anyone else considered gaming Pinkertons versus Molly Maguires? I've had the urge to do this every once in a while, but the previous lack of good miniatures kept me from it. Now I have one less excuse not to do it. Still not sure what miniatures one might use for Molly Maguires, though. I imagine them masked like bank robbers, but most bank robber miniatures look too "wild west" to fit the image in my mind's eye.

BTW, I know the Pinkertons and Molly Maguires never actually came to blows (at least, I think that's how it went), but I was imagining a what-if scenario where the undercover Pinkerton agent gets caught and the whole thing degenerates into a shoot-out.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Online Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 07:30:41 PM »
The Molly Maguires, real and wannabes, tended to pass as the normal workers, but it is still hard to find figs.

And yes we have gamed the 1892 and 1899 Idaho silver strikes which featured several Mollies. Miners, aging western gunmen, Pinkertons, a resisted federal amphibious landing, Clarence Darrow, and more - all the ingredients necessary for old west meets pulp games.  

Anybody interested in the Pinkertons really should chase down Charlie Siringo's autobiography A cowboy detective.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 07:45:49 PM »
HLBS has brand new prospectors and miners that might be able to fit in as Mollie Maguires in a pinch:
http://www.hlbs.co.uk/type.php?id=79

Plus, of course there is the Artizan chap that looks suspiciously like Lee Marvin in Paint your Wagon (fellow on the right):
http://www.artizandesigns.com/details.asp?code=aww004

W

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 07:50:56 PM »
West Wind's London civilians and thugs packs (GHL 006 and 007) in the Vampire Wars line have some likely candidates for Molly McGuires. The London Detectives (GLH003) can reinforce your Pinkertond/MIBBs.

Blue Moon is supposed to be coming out with a box of western civvies soon also. Some of them will undoubtedly work but you'll have to buy a box of 20 and I can gvuarantee a lot of those will be soiled doves and other undesirables.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 10:24:28 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
Railroad workers on my side.

I do like the idea of using them as Men In Black, wandering around the West using British syntax and vocabulary in faked American accents.

"Say there, dear pardner, where might I find a pub at this time of day? Powerful hot, ain't it? Pip pip, then."

:)

I am not quite sure if this is a reflexion about Deadwood but I think much of he brilliance of the series stems from "West using British syntax and vocabulary in faked American accents"

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 10:35:38 PM »
Bobby Jacksons B`Hoys would fit in nicely too and they are often overlooked for VSF and other games. They are from the Virtual Armchair General in the US and Patrick the proprietor is another of the very polite gents, great comms and serivce

http://fauxtoys.com/tvag/200-bhoys.html

They also sell Police from both 1840s and 1860s :mrgreen: the rules are innovative too

Offline RJ

• Scientist
    • http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 10:43:42 PM »
superb minis from artizan as always  :love:
Check out my blog here:

http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/

Accepting painting comissions

Offline monkme

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 03:13:04 PM »
they look very cool! However I would love it if we could buy them singularly! I'd only want one or two! :( Also does anyone know why there are so few Artizan figures without shotguns?
-------------------
We're Doomed!!