Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:55:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: German Sailors  (Read 3992 times)

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
German Sailors
« on: August 04, 2012, 01:40:03 AM »
I have a gunboat that desperately needs a German crew for my www.mafricancampaigns.blogspot.com
but I do not want an armed crew, and should look like German sailors ca. 1880-1890.
Does any one make these in 28mm?

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: German Sailors
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 07:56:39 AM »
The best choices you have, so far,  are:
1.- brigade games WW1 german sailors for landing parties etc they have a command pack, too, but you may add a couple of copplestones naval officers for variety etc.
http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?cat=153&man=56&page=2
2.- old glory naval artillery crew from boxer rebellion range. This is a multinational pack and has figures suitable for german, british and french (style hats). Luck and careful selection of the contents will provide you with enough crew (deckhands and artillery crew) for any german and german-like free sailors.
http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CBP-09
this time no officers, so you have to find them from other ranges. Again obvious choices are copplestone's naval officers and some foundry from DA ranges.
http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=DA
pack AF3 by copplestone is titled British Naval officers, some might be used easily as german naval officers.

Up to this moment there no german sailors in pith helmet, but this can be easily converted using bodie and colonial helmeted heads for conversion. costly but effective.
argsilverson

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 09:29:38 AM »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 09:53:12 AM »
That link just takes me to an index page, Traveller.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 10:27:49 AM »
I have a gunboat that desperately needs a German crew for my www.mafricancampaigns.blogspot.com
but I do not want an armed crew, and should look like German sailors ca. 1880-1890.
Does any one make these in 28mm?

Hi. Love your Mafrican blog. What rules are you using?

Sorry i can'y help you with your quest for sailors but i may just nick whatever ideas come up as a i have German Colonials and, as yet, an un-manned gunboat  :D

Have fun

James
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 10:57:37 AM »
I used the Old Glory Boxer Rebellion ones mentioned by Argsilverson. As he said the sailor bodies are universal but the cast-on heads come in British, French, German (their hats are a bit different) and bareheaded varieties. Unfortunately you take random pot luck with what mix you get. You can't order specific nationalities (or at least you couldn't when I bought them).

Here's a rather old pic from my blog of one manning a machine gun:

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »
Thats ace!

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 12:22:11 PM »
That link just takes me to an index page, Traveller.

Its under Victorians: Daybreak Boys (gangs of NY range)

Offline fantail

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 09:47:37 PM »
i would look at PC-09 Captain Josiah and his Crew from Bluemoon Manufacturing
and the Austro-Hungarian sailors from redoubts Boxer Rebellion range.

Offline genew49

• Student
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 02:45:09 AM »

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 03:36:47 AM »
Great replies, thank you everyone.  After careful consideration I think that the Bluemoon for deck crew and Old Glory for gun crews will work best.  I have the Reviresco figs for the native sailors and they work fine, as do some of Houston's Naval figs.  But I wanted some really German Sailors without guns for my new Houston gunboat. I have Pulp's and Tiger's sun helmeted figs for shore actions.
Eventually there will be some gunboat to gunboat actions between Mittleland (German) and Galacia (France) and Imperial (Brits).  But for now, until I can afford another boat or two it will be native canoe vs gunboat, or maybe the Jutlanders (Denmark) will fight who knows what evil lurks in the hearts and minds of the Mittlelanders? Only the dice know for sure.
The rules I use are The Sword and The Flame (either first edition or 20th anniversary which ever is close to hand, or one of the variants) which I use for everything that involves any colonial action.  I also use The Virtual Armchair General's cards for using dynamite and other action decks when I think it necessary as they are made specifically for TSATF rules.