Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:46:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Just generic ramblings...  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Just generic ramblings...
« on: August 04, 2012, 06:02:33 PM »
Seeing the thread on the British troops in plastic and with metal command figures spurred a random thought.

What would constitute a perfect "generic unit" package for our games?

Given the undue (IMO) popularity of TSATF over time, I started with a 20 man/20 pose unit base, exact of poses composition still being discussed in my multiple personality mind.  Potential exists for 10 man units, 5 man sections, etc., if other rules called for those.  How many prone or kneeling, if any?  Wounded/Dead figures would be too specialized for a generic unit box IMO, your thoughts?

I then mentally added a 5 figure command sprue - Officer, Sergeant, Corporal, bugler (did consider a drummer,) and standard bearer.  Necessary?  Too many?  Composition reasonable?

Multipart?  I'm lazy but what do you think?

Weapons sprues?  Rifles obviously (?) needed - which ones creates an interesting conundrum for "generic" - but what about carbines, pistols, swords, etc.?

Horse for Officer?  That implies a mounted officer to be included, right?

Nothing specific in mind for nation/war, just completely generic ramblings,  feel free to add comments or not as you feel appropriate.

Thanks for "listening" to my random ramble.

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Just generic ramblings...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 06:44:05 PM »
Multipart? No thanks.
As for poses a simple march attack with variations is the most useful for ranked wargames, something the Perrys and Copplestone do very well. If you want a firing line then for the British I'd like a front row kneeling and loading and a back row standing and firing. This is not available from my chosen manufacturer though so I make do with close approximations :)

I don't have the time, space or inclination to produce a game with 20 figure colonial units so I'm probably not in the market for plastic figures anyway. I use 6 figures per base; enough figures to look like a group of fighting men and a small enough number to make them look badly outnumbered by the opposing horde. I find this gives the colonial player a constant reminder of his fragileness. No bad thing.