Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:34:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Generic-ish rules for future wars  (Read 1919 times)

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
Generic-ish rules for future wars
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:37:49 AM »
I'm looking to start an RPG/miniature skirmish hybrid game, focusing on a band of Colonial Marine style troopers roaming the galaxy and fighting various things from insurgents to Xenomorphs, Predators and Arachnids. For the skirmish part I'm looking for a system that's light, easily adjusted to a variety of forces, supports individual troopers (with a variety of skills, injuries, etc) instead of squads and so on.

I'm currently thinking of using Flying Lead by Ganesha Games - the SoBH mechanics are nice and very customizable. Any other ideas? Some that I've already discarded are: THW stuff (don't really like their basic reaction system), GW (40K, Necromunda etc, seen enough of that), No Limits (customizable, but a bit too heavy), SST (focus on squads)...

What else is there?

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Generic-ish rules for future wars
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
There's a few options out there:
AE Bounty, a good D6 based points-free system. It has lots of options and plays nicely.
Rogue Trader, if you can get hold of it, though I've heard it's around on the net somewhere. I now it's GW, but it's original and pretty flexible
Blasters and Bulkheads, a sci-fi varient of four color figs goalsystem.
Then there's a set I've been playing around with that's dice pool based, it's not finished (but is almost), if you're interest send me a PM and I'll send you a copy.
Duncan

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:49:45 PM »
Good grief, I'm going to sound like a broken record here.

I use Savage Worlds for my Colonial Marines games, both miniatures games and an RPG campaign. There are stats available online for Aliens, Predators, the Colonial marines and their equipment. If you look around you can find stats for bug from Starship Troopers and any number of other goodies to fight. It's an RPG that's made to work with miniatures. Not sure if this is what you were looking for, or were you thinking more along the lines of Gangs of Mega-City One and Necromunda, where the role-playing comes from team development and ability advancement. 

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »
Savage Worlds is good.  I use it for the roleplaying parts of our home campaign and No Limits for the battles.  Because the role playing characters usually go on adventures related to the story instead of actually participating in combat it works out okay.  I've thought about using Savage Worlds for larger battles because it's pretty flexible but what I've been doing has worked out well so far. 

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 10:54:44 AM »
AE Bounty, a good D6 based points-free system. It has lots of options and plays nicely.

I like AE Bounty a lot. It's got loads of character classes, alien races, skills and equipment, so you have lots of possible character upgrades during a campaign.

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! I've considered Savage Worlds before, but found it a bit too RPG. What I'm looking to do in the upcoming campaign is have some (probably pretty freeform) RPG elements in between the actual miniature games, to make the players care about their little lead avatars. Think Laser Squad, X-COM or Jagged Alliance.

AE Bounty might be good, but I'm checking the free systems first.

What about FUBAR? Any experiences? The single-sheet format is very, very appealing.