Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:14:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: book wanted- Modern Brit Uniforms?  (Read 2110 times)

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
book wanted- Modern Brit Uniforms?
« on: August 25, 2012, 07:40:21 PM »
any book recommendations covering Modern Brit Uniforms?

Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
Re: book wanted- Modern Brit Uniforms?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 07:04:40 AM »
I think Osprey is an obvious source but no doubt there others around. But the internet is also a very good option if you have the time to do some research. Before i painted my SOG - team i did a exhaustive search on the net. Apart form getting a good 'feel' what those men wearing carrying, i found lots of other interesting materiel that will be of use. Have fun.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 09:03:34 AM »
What do you mean by "modern" redzed?  Right now, or some specific post-WW2 period?  The soldiers you can see in "Our War" in Afghanistan on BBC3 at the moment look quite different from their predecessors who first went there 10 years ago - new helmets, new body armour, new camo ...

Osprey hasn't really kept up.  There's a Mike Chappell book on "the British Army in the 1980s" (Elite 14) which would be handy for the Falklands or the BAOR in an imaginary WW3, and a volume on the British army 1965-1980 (MAA 71) with Angus McBride plates, both of which I've got and seem quite solid.

The Royal Marines get three volumes: an MAA (1956-84), an Elite (1939-93) and a Warrior (1950-1982).  There are some MAAs covering specific conflicts in Malaya 1948-60, Indonesia 1962-66, Northern Ireland 1969-92, and an MAA just about the British forces in the Falklands.

Brits get some mention in two volumes on Special Forces in Iraq and Afghanistan and in "Armies of the Gulf War", and there's a Mike Chappell MAA on infantry equipment 1908-2000 that inevitably shows some uniform details too.

For anything more recent, cheap printing means that there have been lots of books of photojournalism about the wars of the 21st century: they'll give you lots of pictures of recent uniforms, but are unlikely to explain or contextualise them.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 11:24:07 AM »
1995- 2009-ish, or just before Osprey became common.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 10:23:58 PM »
You are probably best off having a look for a series called Special Ops. They are colour, magazine style books rather like the old Concord titles, soft cover and chock full of photos. If you look through their back catalogue you'll find a number of them with articles/ emphasis on the British Army. I think the series has been OOP for at least a couple of years so less than  a complete reference if you want the very, very, very latest but should cover your period quite well.

Now if your interest extends to German uniforms in Britain, then I hear there is a new tome coming out, written by Max Mosely with a foreword by HRH Prince Harry.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 08:04:18 AM »
There's the old europa militaria series that has a few titles covering the British army in the nineties.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 10:29:28 AM »
There's the old europa militaria series that has a few titles covering the British army in the nineties.
got one of them :)

I've also ordered a couple of other items on the recommendation of others.

thanks for the input men and meness's ;)

Now if your interest extends to German uniforms in Britain, then I hear there is a new tome coming out, written by Max Mosely with a foreword by HRH Prince Harry.
lol
I was just about to post when I got that, good one lol

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 03:51:50 PM »
I believe Harry has reversed his decision to provide the forward now, apparently he is now trying to limit his exposure...  ;)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 08:43:40 PM »
I believe Harry has reversed his decision to provide the forward now, apparently he is now trying to limit his exposure...  ;)

lol lol lol lol lol

Apparently a taste for kraft durch freude is a German trait that's nigh impossible to remove, despite being several generations removed.

I suppose at least the poor boy has learnt that what happens it Vegas doesn't necessarily stay there.