Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:12:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691080
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 749
Total: 757

Recent

Author Topic: Mordheim Warband Question  (Read 3758 times)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Re: Mordheim Warband Question
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 02:52:02 PM »
Last question, for now, does can't wear armour include use a shield? I guess not, but......

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »
IMHO I think so, no armour = no shield or buckler allowed.
The shield and buckler when listed on the rulebook equipment section are included on the "armour" chapter.
On the warband equipment list, shield and buckler are included on the Armour section too.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 07:47:30 PM »
Guess so, I was reading the text and not the spirit I suppose, it was this:

An Orc Shaman may be armed with weapons chosen from the Orc equipment list. An Orc Shaman
may never wear armor.

Which differs to this:

Slayers may never carry or use missile weapons or any form of armor.

Wear uses use for me is different, but that might be considered rules lawyer... That said it is me vs me and I have bent the rules already....

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 08:22:33 PM »
I wouldnt worry about tweaking the rules in any way you see fit, especially if you are playing solo.

Most groups of Mordheim players have their own 'house' rules.
So long as all the players know what the differences are, and they all agree, you should be fine.

One of the rules that we changed was the rules for shields, as they are so poor in the original form.
When combined with a 'hand weapon' (sword, axe, spear, club, etc) they receive an extra +1 to the save, as in the more recent versions of Warhammer.
They also receive a 6+ 'Invulnerable' save against any attack, as they should always have a chance of saving you in some way. (A piece of wood and metal that is, effectively, the size of a small door should always give you some protection!)

Before we did this it was almost pointless taking a shield, it was much more effective to take a second weapon for the extra attack. Now shields are becoming a much more commonplace piece of kit, as they should be and have been for long periods of warfare.

Tweak away, mate. Tweak away....

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 08:19:22 AM »
OK, I kind of though the pointless thing a little about light armour on it's own at 20 for 6+ save i seemed a lot. But I guess I need to wait and see....

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 08:24:50 AM »
About the specific case you expalin, a orc shaman (IMHO) according the rules will never wear a shield.
On the warband rules (from TC?) it says "  SPECIAL RULES Wizard: An Orc Shaman is a wizard and uses Waaagh! Magic."
On the rulebook, page 56, section "Magic" paragraph "casting spells" says
"A wizard may not use magic if he is wearing armour or has a shield or buckler. The only exception is the Prayers of Sigmar..."
From a RPG spirit I imagine him having need of both hands to perform magic movements and rituals, jumping and shouting like mad.

But I agree with Mason if you feel the rules should work in a certain sense, change them! it's your game and it's up to you how to enjoy it.

I find invulnerable +1 save for a shield is a bit excessive, "invulnerable" means it can stops even a canon ball or a goblin ball and chain.
I can accept a magic shield able to do that, but not a common wood and metal shield.
In the case of the shaman if you buy him the Orc special skill "well ’ard" (+1 to any armour saves) plus a shield (+1 invulnerable) he will have a invulnerable +5 save, that's like a invulnerable heavy armour. :o

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 10:38:10 PM »
The invunerable bit (assuming the same as current warhammer) is only against melee attacks and is only a 6+ unmodifiable save.

A shield gives +1 Save against shooting.
A shield gives a +2 save against close combat hits OR a 6+ invunerable save if the model's armour would be completely circumvented by the attack.

At least that is how I intend to use them.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 11:10:42 PM »
Maybe I did not explain it very well, but maxxev has the hit the nail on the head:

The invunerable bit (assuming the same as current warhammer) is only against melee attacks and is only a 6+ unmodifiable save.

A shield gives +1 Save against shooting.
A shield gives a +2 save against close combat hits OR a 6+ invunerable save if the model's armour would be completely circumvented by the attack.

At least that is how I intend to use them.

That is how we do use them.
The save offered by a shield is only used if it is 'active'. You have to be using it, not just carrying it.

The main reason for the change was to make it a viable option, otherwise everyone would just wield two weapons for the extra attack.

Cannonballs or goblin fanatics have never figured in our games of Mordheim, but if they did the invulnerable save would still stand.
It adds to the fun if a model has a chance to stay on the table if he is very lucky.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 11:32:27 PM »
Think I'm gonna go with that shield idea, but it works only once a game and at the end the shied it destroyed (A little like unrimmed shield in WFRP)