Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:29:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Robotech/Macross game at Cyphan Convention  (Read 19327 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Robotech/Macross game at Cyphan Convention
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2012, 06:06:53 AM »
I'm not THAT worried about it...just that I'm normally a stickler for scale, so I'm out of my comfort zone.  I know full-well the Robotech/Macross options are few and far between.

I will only try to avoid different scales of the same unit...as I have a Yamato 1/200 Veritech which is easily 1/2 the size of the Gashapon ones, etc.

When I have more models/items built and assembled I'll do some quality pictures to give other gamers an idea on scale between the various "1/200" stuff.  I found it rather difficult to find good scale photos comparing the various options.

I'm extremely excited though as a life-long wargamer, and a life-long Robotech fan, finally putting some pen to paper, and paint to plastic... :-*
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2012, 08:59:58 AM »
One thing I'd suggest is a quick oil wash and dullcoat to take away the plastic-toy look. Your zentraedi look great, but the gashapons need some panel lining at the least. I'm not keen on the scale issues either, but there's just too few options for using these things as gaming pieces, you gotta go with what you can get for a reasonable price. Just like the MOSPEADA game that Mpennock did, it looks good enough on the table and the end result is just too cool to get caught up on the scale.
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2012, 09:12:10 AM »
All the models should be getting an Army Painter Anti-Shine spray eventually.  The Veritechs are glossy, the Tomahawk is not, but yes they'll be matted hopefully.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
Honestly, I think you just answered your own question.  The vast majority of common european kits literally are from the 1950's-1960's.  My father is an avid modeller and when we hang out he's always making models now that he made when he was 15-16 years old. :D 

I agree though Japanese kits are quite astounding by comparison.  You want tough?  Try Russian kits - no pegs or seems...just eye it, and glue it. :D

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »
Also, of course, Airfix, Revell and Heller don't have particularly large ranges of big stompy robots.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2012, 09:10:20 PM »
While we're having this thread --- I'd like to source some semi-generic space shuttles for use with 1/200 scale stuff.  Anyone think of models/kits which fit this kind of look?  I'm willing to bend on non-authentic shuttles, and aircraft which will only see scenario use.

Some typical UN Spacy aircraft:

Sorry, only small images available on google.  Anyway, so near-future looking stuff, nothing too extreme.  I've been perusing Macross models and can't find much suitable. Would like them to be 2-4" in length.  I've been eying the Dropzone Commander stuff to see if they have anything close enough, but ideas would be appreciated!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2012, 09:42:34 PM »
Holy Jackpot...

http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-802-4848-1.html

^5000 page thread on some Japanese site...nothing but models, pictures, art, kits, toys, etc...it's a ridiculous resource.  I'm grabbing a TON of excellent images and material.  Amazing!

PS: This is a bit of Geek "perfect storm" for me.  Some fan-art of a UN Spacy fighter...in my father's squadron's livery.  VF-31 "Tomcatters"

lol
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:55:46 PM by Elbows »

Offline mpennock

• Scientist
    • Arctic Skunk Shapeways store
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2012, 12:46:18 AM »
Some fan-art of a UN Spacy fighter...in my father's squadron's livery.  VF-31 "Tomcatters"

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was using Macross Fighter Collection gashapons for the Valkyries. That collection does include a model of the VF-4 Lightning, though it is on the rare side and the last one I saw on eBay was going for USD $37.

This is me being helpful.....  :D

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2012, 02:54:56 AM »
I am just not going to do it to my neice, I remember getting kits as a kid and f&%$#ing them up with glue fingers or losing bits or painting the bloody things with enamels which ruined them. THen of course you would take em out the backyard and shoot them with .22 hollowpoints or fill em with black powder and blow em up or some such to get a measure of satisfaction.

Well kids cant have .22's anymore and if you blow something up these days you end up on a watch list. So if she cannot have the fun of destroying them then she will get kits that remove all the triggers that led to explosions or gunshots.

This post made me laugh and smile. I remember fighting with the old kits when I was a kid and they led me to the joys of flame. This caused my Mom no end of concern, but eventually I found something else to occupy my time. I think you have the right idea.

Avoid destruction. Buy good quality stompy robots...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2012, 04:27:14 AM »
My father and I blasted many of his models to smithereens with a high-power pellet gun...now I have plenty of real firearms, so if anything catches my ire, it'll be disposed of good and proper.

Japan seems to still be in the throws that Germany and other countries used to be in - lands of 100% dedication and craftsmanship.  Germany is slowly moving out of it, but Japan strikes me as continuing the traditions.  I have to admit the kits/toys/models I've received lately (outside of Gashapon) are quite freakin' good.

Particularly when you realize the Nichimo kits are all re-prints of a 30 year old mold.  Not too shabby.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2012, 04:58:29 AM »
With some Monsters on the way for UN Spacy, I just picked up this 1/720 Quel-Quallie or Bug-Eye "Cyclops" recon ship.  I only found one scaled picture, and it looked to be quite large (which would make the 1/720 incorrect).  Either way,if it scales nicely enough, the Zentraedi now have a large mecha for scenarios.  If not, I'll sell it off on ebay.

I didn't know they even made them until recently...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2012, 05:42:55 AM »
Got another pack of Kaiyodo Gashapon models today...did a little bit of messing around with them.  Built up some of the Guardians/Gerwalks.  Tonight's goal: Spartans and Battlepods!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2012, 08:51:13 AM »
Ooooooh, nice! Looks terrific! How big are those bases?
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »
I almost forgot about the hairspray flamethower vs model kit. (it was the 80's everyone had spray)   lol

Simpler joys of the 1970s: set light to model aeroplanes and throw them out of an upstairs window.  "He's been shot down in flames!"

Offline mpennock

• Scientist
    • Arctic Skunk Shapeways store
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2012, 01:49:24 PM »
Got another pack of Kaiyodo Gashapon models today...did a little bit of messing around with them.

Those look great!