Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:49:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690647
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestions for a new desktop painting station?  (Read 7720 times)

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
Suggestions for a new desktop painting station?
« on: August 17, 2012, 07:53:24 PM »
I've got one of the old GW paint stations:

But it's getting a little ratty, and I think I'd like an upgrade - problem is, I don't really know what's out there.  I need something that's somewhat portable - something that I can move from table to shelf, something that can be stored (or at least tucked away on top of a bookshelf) in between painting sessions.

I live in the middle of Alaska, so I'm resigned to buying online, but the source has to be willing to ship to the USA.

Can you folks give me some suggestions?

-Alex in Alaska

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Suggestions for a new desktop painting station?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:08:27 PM »
GW have a newer laptop version.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 08:30:49 PM »
I just recently bought a GW paint station and think it's pretty good overall. I do admit that it's really expensive for what you get, even if it is a serviceable piece of gear.  It's more portable than the old one, as it has handle cut-outs on the sides. It's also supposed to be able to rest on your lap, but I've not bothered to try that.

I posted up some photos of my set up here http://obsidian3d.blogspot.ca/2012/08/creating-work-spaces.html. It might help you seeing it in an actual work space.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline tima113

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 11:51:10 AM »
I like this diy version from the screaming alpha.

http://thescreamingalpha.com/?p=866

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 12:01:42 PM »
Seems like a lot of work and fiddling, though!  :o

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 11:50:19 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions!

-Alex in Alaska

Offline Onimusha

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 10:12:08 AM »
This is my paint station, you can just use your old GW one and add some stuff on. But through the years I switched my paint brand to Vallejo and so I needed a new one, I made one out of aluminium ( no picture sorry, it's still being glued together)
http://www.grauenacht.com/paint-station/

Offline BigB

• Librarian
    • The Ocala Garrison
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 03:27:25 PM »
I just received my new Professional Paint Station from http://www.hobbyzone.pl/category.php?id_category=5 out of Poland. Made it to Florida in 8 days including customs delay.

It's made of laminated MDF and appears to be CnC cut, not laser.  Everything fit together perfectly and it fits my desk exactly as measured.

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 03:39:18 PM »
Or you could try making one, this was maybe a couple of hours work at most (I spread it through lunch breaks at work)

I built it when I still lived with parents- it was ideal as it would allow me to leave small projects set up and I could slide it in and out of the pedestal cupboard on my desk with relative ease.
Despite having a dedicated desk I still use it today:

Cheers
Andy

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 04:49:45 PM »
I just received my new Professional Paint Station from http://www.hobbyzone.pl/category.php?id_category=5 out of Poland. Made it to Florida in 8 days including customs delay.

It's made of laminated MDF and appears to be CnC cut, not laser.  Everything fit together perfectly and it fits my desk exactly as measured.

That IS spiffy. I wish I'd seen that before I bought the GW one. :(

Offline AlbeoLupus

• Schoolboy
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 01:16:45 AM »

Hi BigB

I know this is an old thread, but I followed the link and they look great but I wanted to know how they have lasted under the rigors of time before I add some of these to my crimbo list?

Regards

Andy  8)

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 05:57:16 PM »
The family have got me a Humbrol painting tray for Christmas. It replaces my small pinboard, which has been a faithful painting area, but it gets very disorganised and cluttered.

The tray can take a cutting mat and has holes, slots and dips for paints, brushes and for paper model building instruction to be kept upright (like music sheets are for musicians).

Mine was bought from an independent model shop - but I have seen them in Hobby Craft (UK).

Offline BigB

• Librarian
    • The Ocala Garrison
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 07:00:59 PM »
Hi BigB

I know this is an old thread, but I followed the link and they look great but I wanted to know how they have lasted under the rigors of time before I add some of these to my crimbo list?

Regards

Andy  8)

A little thread necromancy here.  My paint station has now lasted for 4 years and is still in great shape.  I got one for a friend for Xmas a couple years ago and he's totally happy with it.  The laminate covering helps a great deal for spillage where a straight MDF may soak up fluids causing swelling.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 09:28:33 AM »
I'm (still ::) ) in the process of moving all my hobby activities into my game room and one of the major hurdles is moving my painting desk downstairs, as I'd also need a new storage system etc. And that Hobby Zone stuff just looks the cat's pyamas!

I'll have to look into it a bit further, and a full setup will obviously not be cheap, but at first glance, their system appears to be exactly what I've been looking for... 8)

So thanks for the link and yay for threadomancy! :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!