Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:05:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Timbor's Dux Britanniarum  (Read 5984 times)

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
Timbor's Dux Britanniarum
« on: August 20, 2012, 04:32:18 AM »
Having not yet tried my brush with any historical miniatures, I decided to jump on the boat with the Dux Britanniarum pre-order. I was even fortunate enough to get a free Arthur figure!  After having read the rules, I am keen to give it a try, but alas, I have no opponents at the moment  ;D

What would be the best way to attract new players?  My thought exactly - have two painted armies!  Thus my quest begins.  I have set myself a lofty goal to paint up a Romano-British and a Saxon force by mid-October.  Doable?  Perhaps, though I will really have to buckle down.  So far I have completed one unit of 6 Milites, and a unit of 6 Comanipulares.  The Comanipulares do not yet have shields, as I am awaiting the LBM transfers before I get them finished.

On to the pictures!

For the Milites, I had received a lot of GB late romans that I felt would fit the bill.  The had already been painted (poorly) and for these I decided to try and paint over them.  While it turned out OK, I am not entirely happy with the results and for my other unit the models have already been stripped and reprimed.  The sculpts themselves are not too stellar IMO, which means they need a bit more TLC to make shine.  Seeing as I am on a deadline, I settled for something closer to tabletop standard.

Next, my Comanipulares, are BTD armoured late romans which I acquired in their latest 50% off everything sale  :D.  They painted up quite nicely, and for the price I say the detail is great.  The faces are quite expressive, and take to painting pretty well!  Its definitely easier to get a nicer result when you aren't painting over a sub-par paintjob!

All in all they were pretty easy to paint, and I look forward to starting on the rest of them.  I have about 8 weeks to paint 70 more figures, so here's to hoping it just gets easier from this point forward!  ;)

I will have these pictures up on my blog soon enough as well, along with some more discussion about the game.  All in due time!
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
Re: Timbor's Dux Britanniarum
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:26:56 AM »
Great start, i'll be following this thread

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:30:22 AM »
Nice work. Like max I have set this thread for notification.  8)
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:25:27 PM »
I've been painting BTD Trojans, and I feel the same way about them. Great poses, and they seem to love being painted! ::)  Great results!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 01:43:07 PM »
Nice work!

Joining the bandwagon and following your progress, too.
Best of luck!

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 03:56:20 PM »
What would be the best way to attract new players? 

Great work, I think that if the quality of your painting alone will be enough to attract an opponent

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 04:06:41 AM »
Fine work.
Nothing wrong with your paint overs.
They look great.
Look forward to see how you progress.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 05:00:08 PM »
Thanks guys, I hope the next batch turn out even better  :D

Now, just to wait for the rest of my transfers and shields and bases/trays to arrive in the mail!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »
Looking fab! I really like what you have done with the faces, and looking forward to seeing the shields on those comanipulares.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 04:22:38 AM »
It has been a while, but please rest assured, I have been productive in my absence!  lol  (Though perhaps not as productive as I would have wanted...)

My Romano-British army is coming along well.  The Milites, Comanipulares, and about half of the levy are finished (save for a few spears on the levy).  Some photographic evidence is neccessary, I would presume?

The levy were pretty fun to paint - the are West Wind miniatures that I got in their recent sales.  While I found West Wind's communications and their shipping policies to be lacking, the miniatures arrived ok.  My main concern was that the flash was rather heavy, and there are a few of the poses that have horrible splotches of miscast areas about 5mm wide.  These are around the left hand and belt area, safely hidden behind the shield.  Still disconcerting though when you are trying to prepare them for painting.  On the plus side the heads look great, and give a nice finish!  With the heads being separate, it allows for more options if not making the assembly more fiddly.

There are also a couple Crusader (I think) arthurians in there for good measure. 

Movement trays are from Warbases.  They also have silly shipping policies where they were charging me 50% or more of my order for international shipping.  They were kind enough to refund the difference/overcharge, but it is certainly a put-off when compared to 4ground, from whom I ordered some of my other basing needs and have more reasonable shipping charges.  In fact, if they had the movement trays I wanted, I would have ordered everything from them.

Here is a group shot:

I have a few more pics and discussion on my blog if you care to stop by.  Hopefully the rest of the levy will be done soon!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 07:54:39 AM »
Very nice  :-*

The basing is very effective and does look like parts of unkempt England  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 09:09:18 AM »
Goodly work  8) 8) 8)

Darrell.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »
Looking good! I'm just about to sit down and get my 2 forces figured out. This should provide the incentive I need!

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 04:25:19 PM »
Thanks guys!  The figures are pretty nice to paint up, nice and straightforward.  I just gotta keep the momentum going so I can actually finish both armies for once  :D

The Saxons are a mix of GB and foundry, but I think I might have to spring for some of the new Saxon hero sulpts from Musketeer miniatures.

Very nice  :-*

The basing is very effective and does look like parts of unkempt England  8)

cheers

James

Nice to hear that, James.  I have never been to England, so I am glad my basing fits the image.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »
Nice to hear that, James.  I have never been to England, so I am glad my basing fits the image.

I'm originally from the Lake District and there are several places that your basing reminds me of  8)

cheers

James