Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:52:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: MODheim Rules Draft V0.2  (Read 1706 times)

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
MODheim Rules Draft V0.2
« on: August 22, 2012, 07:55:53 PM »
Hi guys, anyone following my thread will see a lot of the name I've used for my project "Modheim", well i've got a draft / roughish copy of the core rules here and i'd love some feedback on it.

The core of the game is still Mordheim, but i've re-imagined a bunch of the core rules, and put quite a lot of effort into the skills and weapons to try and improve the campaign game somewhat. Still a lot missing and a lot to be done, but i'd love to here comments.

EDIT: also completely changed the way magic works... lol

Oh i've re-named most of the stats because I may well push further and re-write the whole damn game (but not anytime soon lol),

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzXjWYwhLwQLaVRMekVpVmJHR0U

Cheers

EDIT 2:
I also incorperated Fate and Might re-named to destiny and luck, which was an idea picked up from Maniacus.

I should have put a mention above that I started with the coreheim rules, my appologies for that, it is not my intention to steal credit from anyone else, only to produce a set of rules that allows for a better game (from my perspective), I for one found that coreheim had stripped the game down too much so have changed an auwful lot of it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:45:47 AM by maxxev »

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
Re: MODheim Rules Draft V0.2
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 08:14:50 AM »
Haven't had a chance to do anything more than glance through the rules, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing. Do you have factions built or are you just using using the mordheim lists and point costs? I'd love to see you turn this into your own game, especially if you go through and make up a lot of lists for all the different traditional fantasy races and various model ranges out there. With the Reaper Bones kickstarter almost done I've been looking for fantasy skirmish games to use the figs with. I've been looking at Song of Blades and Heroes for that very reason, but the game is far too simplistic for my tastes. Mordheim is great, but the setting limits armies far too much, for instance there's a dozen human warbands but no real elf warband (not in the official books at least), and reapers Warlord is a little too tied to the miniatures they produce.

This looks like it could be exactly what I'm looking for in a skirmish game if the army lists are right. And with a few name changes, some illustrations and some formatting you could publish it as an ebook and make some money off it.
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:08:02 AM »
Haven't had a chance to do anything more than glance through the rules, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing. Do you have factions built or are you just using using the mordheim lists and point costs? I'd love to see you turn this into your own game, especially if you go through and make up a lot of lists for all the different traditional fantasy races and various model ranges out there. With the Reaper Bones kickstarter almost done I've been looking for fantasy skirmish games to use the figs with. I've been looking at Song of Blades and Heroes for that very reason, but the game is far too simplistic for my tastes. Mordheim is great, but the setting limits armies far too much, for instance there's a dozen human warbands but no real elf warband (not in the official books at least), and reapers Warlord is a little too tied to the miniatures they produce.

This looks like it could be exactly what I'm looking for in a skirmish game if the army lists are right. And with a few name changes, some illustrations and some formatting you could publish it as an ebook and make some money off it.

Thank you for the comments, but certainly in its present state the rules above are 30% Mordheim, 30% Coreheim and only 39% ish my own (if that), I also have not had a chance to playtest the new magic system or skills at this point.

The primary reason for the project was to take the core Mordheim rules out of Mordheim and put it into any game world you can imagine and at the same time strengthening IMO the strongest part of the Mordheim core rules (the campaign system).
At this point in time I have no intention of charging people for rules however much they end up re-written from GWs original set.
The biggest limitation of the GW system is the D6 but I can’t stand D10s, to me a D6 feels right in the hand (and its result is always less ambiguous (especially when rolling on terrain heavy boards))
I may attempt to work it into a 2D6 system but then you loose the ease of rolling 2 dice for 2 attacks at a time and the game gets a little slower because of it. Should I get to the point where I change the way the core statistics work then I might start to think about re-writing with a view to selling the rules, but as yet I have not thought of a good way to handle that.

I have started brainstorming list building but I want to make the system as flexible as possible, therefore I am working through an ally system presently which depending on how good the relationship between factions is determines how many henchmen, or even heroes your primary warband faction can recruit from allied factions.... As you might expect this brings with it a whole new set of rules, such as; if all the primary heroes die and an allied hero takes over, which faction does your warband now follow.... etc.

I also want to introduce archetypes, such as Quartermasters and Elementals at least which bring a whole new set of options to the warband (Ideas include elementals being able to “grow” based on the mana put into them and Quartermasters increasing the number of allies warbands can recruit) I have also though about a warband’s fame giving them access to new options to recruit (basically lots of ideas new to the system floating around in my head).

Right now I need to playtest the rules, I will use the present mordheim lists simply substituting their weapons costs with mine and GWs stats for mine (no major changes to how any of the stats work at present except armour and addition of Destiny and Luck).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:26:37 PM by maxxev »

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 01:51:58 PM »
As an example of what i'm trying to do with warbands, here is a WIP of the Undead warband grid.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzXjWYwhLwQLamp1UnlrMU9VVUk

This shows 6 different undead warband types with thier various different henchmen, minions and monsters. On top of this, as stated before I intend to complete and ally system that would allow each warband to recruit from outside of thier faction (so from factions that are not undead) where alliances exisit, for instance there will be a snakeman list and the non Vampyre & Ghoul clan warbands will be able to take allies from them.

P.S: A note on monsters is that i'm probably going to change it so rather than having a specific monster or two for most warbands, instead there will be a list of monsters by faction and any warband can recruit from that list (as well as a list of generic monsters that any faction can choose).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:58:59 PM by maxxev »