Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:40:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Who makes the best plastic skellies?  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Notts Gamer

• Librarian
Who makes the best plastic skellies?
« on: August 22, 2012, 09:49:54 PM »
Hi,

I am after some plastic skeletons to do an 'outsized' Jason & the Argonauts game - who makes then best ones?

At the moment its a toss up between Wargames Factory and some of the older GW ones.

I don't mind replacing shields etc with more 'greek' type ones.

Ta

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Re: Who makes the best plastic skellies?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 10:18:40 PM »
My vote for naked skeletons is still the old (1986) GW ones (available until 1998), they're usually quite readily available second hand for a decent price, easy to assemble and still with enough scope for different poses. The WGF ones (I've never seen any in the flesh) have a bit more of a Jason and the Argonauts feel, more options for customisation but they also appear more frail and require more work to assemble.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 10:41:24 PM »
Mantic skellies (whilst smaller) are far far better...

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 10:56:09 PM »
The WF skeletons take a bit of work to assemble, and are a tad on the fragile side, but look fantastic.  The GW skeletons are nice as well, and have that Jason and the Argonauts feel to them as well.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Notts Gamer

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:16:25 AM »
Thanks,

I've looked closely at photos of the WGF ones and they do look fantastic but a bit fiddly and fragile, so I have opted for the GW ones - they seem to be widely available.

Cheers

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 09:38:49 AM »
The WGF ones do come with appropriate shields and weapons for Greek Myth, but they *are* very fiddly and fragile indeed, so you probably made the right call.

I do prefer the previous edition GW plastics as the current ones have some more bling, but they'll do you fine. The Mantic ones are just too medieval for what you need.

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 10:50:28 AM »
The Mantic ones are just too medieval for what you need.

Absolutely, if it were an argument for the best skellies it would be the current GW plastics, but for your purposes the old GW plastics, are probably the best bet, though they are horendously proportioned....  Mantic are really good sculpts but there are 2 things I don't lie about them, they are tiny (REALLY small rib cages) compared to the zombies and ghouls and I don't like the characterised skulls (I have been using mantic legs and GW torsos & some heads and THAT combo works really well).

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »
My vote for naked skeletons is still the old (1986) GW ones (available until 1998), they're usually quite readily available second hand for a decent price, easy to assemble and still with enough scope for different poses. The WGF ones (I've never seen any in the flesh) have a bit more of a Jason and the Argonauts feel, more options for customisation but they also appear more frail and require more work to assemble.

Seconded; I really like these guys. Plus they are relatively 'setting neutral' which can be an amazing bonus.

Cheers
Andy

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 09:36:08 PM »
One really big plus point for Mantic - they often give free sprues away at UK shows.
Been to 2 shows this year and the Mantic demo team gave free sprues at both of them.
They have an open day in Nottingham in Sept - might be worth checking out
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)