Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:19:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: German Translation of the 45A  (Read 5848 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
German Translation of the 45A
« on: October 17, 2006, 05:08:52 PM »
Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"
But in advance, that were absolutely amazing three 45A games, now I love 45A :love:  Great work, Rich, thumbs up!

Glad you liked it. The system works because it allows the players to really go wild creating things. Even if I have not done "official" stats for somethig, it's fairly easy to figure out how to do it on your own. I know people have been creating all kinds of bizarre things to fight against and confound other players.

And the games being run over there in Germany are amazing! I'm starting to wonder if it might be worth getting a German translation done of the main rulebook. If you would get more players interested that way.... something to ponder for next year.

Rich
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 05:33:11 PM »
Hi Rich,

Iam not sure if a German .45 Adventure Ruleset would make sense.
The " grown" wargame scene in germany is used to play english rules.

As far as I know some games like Warhammer and WH 40k or Warmachine and Hordes are out in German translations. And Iam sure they are a big success but...Games Workshop Games allways find there customers in Germany and Privateer Press is "In" at the moment.

The rest of us is still kind of "small" group constantly growing but we really have no Big Lobby or so  :)

What could make sense is a translation of your "free download rules" or an Errata or explanation sheet for those players who are not such great english speakers.

Iam curious what the other Germans say about your idea. Why not make a new topic about it.

Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 05:38:34 PM »
Quote from: "Driscoles"
Why not make a new topic about it.

done!

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 05:52:31 PM »
Quote from: "Operator5"
And the games being run over there in Germany are amazing! I'm starting to wonder if it might be worth getting a German translation done of the main rulebook. If you would get more players interested that way.... something to ponder for next year.

Good idea but not at the moment, I think. Maybe next 2-3 years. The point is that the most german wargamers are GW- and Warmachine player. And there is a comparatively big community of the historical gamers (WAB and DBx).

Pulp etc. need some years to build up an own community. Currently I don't know any pulp gamer who don't read english. I think, we and other pulp gamers  just need some time to make some public games, perhaps that will inspire one or another one guy to join us. We'll see... :)

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 06:08:22 PM »
But it might be worth a try, at least somebody must be first to give it a go. Just keep the cost low and consider a pdf version only.
But keep in mind it's about 5 or so indivuals that are active in these forums.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 07:22:07 PM »
Quote from: "Mike D. Mc Brice"
But it might be worth a try, at least somebody must be first to give it a go. Just keep the cost low and consider a pdf version only.
But keep in mind it's about 5 or so indivuals that are active in these forums.

ok, i'm agree, PDF version could be worth a try

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 07:24:33 PM »
I've had a Spanish translation of the demo rules done (our very own KeyanSark translated a bunch of stuff for me). He's using them as a chance to promote the rules over in Spain.

I've had a few hits to the Spanish portion of the website, nothing huge, but if it helps grow the overall community than it's a good thing for everyone.

Maybe around January I'll look for someone interested in translating the demo rules to German. That would give German players a chance to give them to others that may be willing to explore other genres.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 10:40:51 PM »
Hi,

I could give you a hand to translate it into German.
I did so much .45 that I could have some more.
Iam cheap. 25 bucks a day plus expenses  :) ( nah....Iam joking )
I also have an assistant in mind who is pretty good in rules translations.

Cheers
Björn

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 05:12:11 PM »
I think making a PDF version  of the demo rules in german is the right way .

we are only a few crazy people thay play 45 Adventure most of the gamers prefer GW ,but I will do my best to  rescue them . :lol:
A german translation will help me .

Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 05:34:34 PM »
That's exactly what I am intending to do in Spain... Those evil minions of "That-Company-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named" has abduced the minds (and money) of almost every player here... But I shall show them the light... With my faithful 45!!

Wow! It seems a good plot for a Pulp scenario !!  :lol:
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 05:50:21 PM »
You know, one of the things that really hooked me on .45 Adventures was how different it was from the big Evil Empire games. You only need a few figures and the board can be small. There's no push to paint 500 points worth for the next month's Escalation game, and not every game is just a line-them-up-and-fight game.

I hope translations turn out to help the gamers in Germany and Spain. If you guys have roughly the same number of bitter-ex-fanboys as the English-speaking world, then there are lots of potential gamers!

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 10:05:19 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
You only need a few figures and the board can be small. There's no push to paint 500 points worth for the next month's Escalation game, and not every game is just a line-them-up-and-fight game.

My point exactly!

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 02:10:04 AM »
In the same way that Pulp English ought to be snappy and slangy, with lots of 1930s terms, I wonder whether a German translation ought to be a near gibberish mixture of actual German as understood by, er, actual Germans AND  made-up words that simply look like German to a foreigner, together with WWII comic book phrases like "Achtung Englander, for you ze war is over!"

Dignity. We must strive to avoid it all costs.
I do all my own stunts

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 08:43:13 AM »
Oh my, german translation of games. I´m afraid that most people who are actually interested in the Pulp setting (including me) have at least a basic grasp of english decent enough to read the rules. I´m also really worried that a german translation would only appeal to those kind of gamers who already ruined "Confrontation".

A good idea might be to make a concise playsheet on which the most important rules (turn sequence, basic rule mechanisms) are explained in a shorthand, yet precise fashion. This could be done in german to supplement the main rules. I did the same for a friend whose english really... ah well... vacuums, if you understand my words, when we started out with Warhammer Ancients.

I´d still like to give .45A a try, though... any german stockists?

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 09:23:26 AM »
In my spanish translation I had this problem... I solved it using similar words used in dubbed films and comics of the era when possible... For example, "copper" should be "polizonte" or "pies planos"... These terms are no longer used in spanish, but easily recognisable. However, many of the english slang will be "Lost in Translation"  :)