Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:09:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VSF/Steampunk Army ONLINE STORE NOW LIVE.  (Read 54709 times)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
VSF/Steampunk Army ONLINE STORE NOW LIVE.
« on: August 27, 2012, 02:06:43 AM »
Hopefully I'm not too late to the party what with Spartan/brigade's upcoming/recent releases but I thought I'd share the beginnings of a personal project that I've been fiddling with for a while.

Here's the first "dolly" for a VSF soldier range that I've been dreaming up, it's "historical 28mm" scale, not really GW proportioned so as to fit with historical minis although I'd probably sell more if they were bulkier. :lol:

I'm going to sculpt several different sets of separate heads, from your standard pith/gasmask to more Napoleonic style (with a twist) as they're intended as British primarily but I'll do some other styles to make them into Atlanteans or whatever anyone might care to suggest(?).
the bodies/arms/guns will all be one piece in various poses.

here's the proposed rifle. I know some won't like the classic "scifantasy" muzzle, but it works with Mantic and Vic's stuff without being too incongruous.

Here he is in an earlier wip shot with a plastic Perry minis head to give a sense of proportion.

Let me know what you think, any suggestions get 'em in quick as he's off for casting on Tuesday.

Also it's worth noting that this will be a slow moving project as I'm really snowed under with commissions so I'll have to fit this around my clients. when I've got more done Ill be sure to show the progress off here, when it's completed I'll likely sell the castings privately through a blog as is the fashion at the moment. :P
Cheers
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:01:22 PM by Andrew May »

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: VSF/Steampunk soldier (start of a new project).
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 07:39:58 AM »
That's REALLY good. Are you planning more body poses?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 07:56:25 AM »
Looking very nice.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 08:29:37 AM »
I'm going to sculpt several different sets of separate heads, from your standard pith/gasmask
Pith/Home Service Helmet with a gasmask/rebreather, please. Don't think that's a standard.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:10:35 AM »
Pith/Home Service Helmet with a gasmask/rebreather, please. Don't think that's a standard.

Well it should be!  :)
Feel free to suggest the head types that anyone thinks would look good.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 09:12:35 AM »
That's REALLY good. Are you planning more body poses?

Yes, this one's getting duplicated then I'll use the torso and feet as "dolly" parts to help me sculpt the other poses.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 09:22:57 AM »
An aether helmet would go down well, could be crossed with a deepest diving one  :)

Lovely sculpt but it's a bit too steampunk for my personal tastes although I could be tempted if the aether helmet is done  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 04:35:34 PM »
Looks good. The only thing I'd pick on is the back pack; as a piece of mechanical gear it's edges are a little soft. My suggestions would be to either trim/file the edges a little, particularly the left edge when looking from the back, or to cut it away and replace with a piece of brass/metal and then add guages/detail to that. Depends on your perfectionist tendencies :)

Always good to see more figures though :)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 07:21:48 PM »
I agree with Dewbakuk about the soft backpack details.  Otherwise, very cool.  Love the rifle.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 08:31:33 PM »
Thanks guys, although IRL I feel the backpack is within acceptable limits I have whipped around the edges with a VERY sharp scalpel to straighten it out. It's still not perfection but I'm very happy with it over all.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 09:20:36 PM »
Figure is nice. Will look forward to the finished item.
The rifle is lovely though :-* :-* :-*

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 10:40:43 PM »
Thanks guys, although IRL I feel the backpack is within acceptable limits I have whipped around the edges with a VERY sharp scalpel to straighten it out. It's still not perfection but I'm very happy with it over all.

I'm sure most people wouldn't even notice, I've just spent too much time with pattern makers and sculptors  ;)
Had too many conversations where pattern makers don't understand why sculptors try to sculpt flat edges when there are materials perfectly suited to it. The obvious reply being it's not a material they're used to using.

The gun is lovely and I don't mind the barrel, it's an easy enough thing to change if it does bother someone.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 12:43:17 AM »
Turbaned heads with gas masks would be fantastic, could be used as Turks, Arabs, Indians, Martians and more.

Also maybe some kind of Bubble helmet for space/underwater/aether work.

Keep us posted, I'll be considering 10 or so myself...

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 07:25:03 AM »
Ok, I'm sending the body/gun todat, seeing as I'm away for a few days plus I wanted to try out some heads.
I've sculpted one a day whilst commission work was in the oven/cooling down etc. I don't think I've knocked the nail on the head yet but I've got at least a dozen more ideas to try (that'll keep me busy for a couple more weeks :wink:)

First up.
It's too modern looking so it might end up getting used for something else, still it's not getting chucked!

Next.
A good contender, somethngs not quite right about it though. might re do it, maybe smaller.

This is my favorite so far, I might more the visor down as the proportion is a bit off.

Another goodie but to close to Hicksie's recent one for brigade plus a touch wonky, will explore the idea though.

Never fear, I've hot lots more ideas, these are just the first of many. There will be plenty of opportunity to get more period specific heads.
Let me know what you think. 8)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 08:06:12 AM »
Personally I think the third one is the best of a good bunch! I think it has some nice character to it! It reminds me slightly of a VSF version of the Emperors Guards from Return of the Jedi! Great work!