Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:42:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 860
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scenario and After Action Report of 'Strange Aeons' Set During The Great War  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
This is the first post for me, so hello everyone!

For those who may be interested I've posted on my blog a scenario and a mini After Action Report of a recent 'SA' game I put on recently (URL below). The scenario is a modified version of 'Rescue the Agent' found in the rulebook. I added my own mods for multi-player activations, armoured cars and Lewis Guns. The scenario's setting is during the Great War (1915), a period which I think has a great 'eldritch' feel to it. The scenario is rather huge, designed for up to 6 players and pegging in at around 100+ points per side.

Anyway, the guys seemed to have enjoyed it which is a 'win' in my books. Kudos to Uncle Mike for providing such a clean 'tweakable' system!

http://analogue-hobbies.blogspot.ca/2012/08/worst-case-scenario-4-ritual-tale-of.html

Regards,

Curt
analogue-hobbies.ca

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Looks  like it was a blast, welcome to the fourm!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
Thanks Styx! Yes, I find SA usually gives a pretty entertaining game and the subject matter itself has so much character.

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
Welcome!! I´m happy to see you posting here. That AAR is fantastic and I can see a follower legion of the "Grey Style" (or should I say the "Grey Sign" ;)).

Offline Ithaquatini

• Librarian
Welcome and great AAR!
Can you go a bit more into the card system you used for multi-player games?  I have been wanting to do a large scale game of the assault on Innsmouth.  Agents leading federal troops and an amrored car (I always wanted to paint one up for this) against cultists pouring out of the temple, hybrids attacking from random homes, deep ones emerging from the sea, and a tramp steamer at the docks armed with deck guns and an evil hybrid crew.
So this AAR is great, armored car rules and multi-player rules! thanks.  :D

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Fantastic scenery and story. The dark atmosphere and especially the ending with the big tentacled horror emerging from the portal are classic!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Welcome aboard, Curt!

And what a way to introduce yourself!

Great report, minis and terrain.
 :-*

eally enjoyed reading the report and like what you did to make the multi-player work.
I love the randomness of card-activation, it really adds a sense of tension.
Looking forward to seeing more of your Strange Aeons shenanigans!
 ;D

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words.

Ithaquatini: The card mechanism is pretty straightforward and is largely poached from that used in many of the games produced by the 'Too Fat Lardies' (i.e. 'Sharp Practice', 'Through the Mud and the Blood', etc.).

Basically each 'team' on both the Lurker and Threshold sides is assigned an Activation Card. When I say 'team' it can mean full Threshold teams, sub-groups or even individual models in some cases - the choice is yours based on the scenario. The Activation Cards are all shuffled together thereby making sure every turn's series of activations will be random. Once a team has their card drawn they can perform their Actions as per the rules.

I also include into the deck a single 'kill switch' card that I've called 'The Stars are Right'. This card will bring the turn to a sudden conclusion even if there are still cards left to be drawn, BUT it allows all those 'teams' whose cards have not been drawn to select one model to perform 1 single Action. This single action cannot involve shooting or melee actions. This way the system adds a bit of tension but allows players to do something even if they've had the bad luck of not having their team activated for their full 2 Actions through the normal card draw.

One thing to remember if using this system: You have to initially create the deck so both sides have a fairly equivalent number of cards otherwise you risk a situation where one side is dominating the deck. Once a team is eliminated their card is removed from the deck.

The reason I use the card mechanism is that if you lump all the players' teams into just two basic 'sides' what often happens is that one player will do most of the activations (due to their proximity to the action, the mission goals, etc.) while the other(s) are left in the cold (as you only get 1 model Activation per side). The use of cards does make for longer turns (and increased mayhem) but they allow everyone the chance to get in on the fun.

I encourage you to try it out and see what you think! We've used this kind of system quite a bit and it always gives a good (if unpredictable and bloody) game.

Regards,

Curt

Offline Ithaquatini

• Librarian
ahh. OK that sounds like it will work well.
Thanks for the info!