Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:30:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691142
  • Total Topics: 118376
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Aliens vs Predator (+Colonial Marines)  (Read 37386 times)

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
Re: 28mm AVP project: update: Alien Warriors & Royal Guards
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 08:09:33 PM »
Prepare your wallet, then.

Those horrorclix aliens are long OOP and go for silly prices on eBay. I've been lucky enough to find three sets at affordable prices, though; albeit that has taken me dozens and dozens of searches over the course of three-four years.
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Gun bunny

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2013, 12:46:25 AM »
that is gorgeous work, i love your power-loader and what did you use for alien drool?

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2013, 06:04:58 AM »
that is gorgeous work, i love your power-loader and what did you use for alien drool?
the Alien saliva is made out of glue. Just put a few drops down into an old lid of a bottle and wait a few minutes for the glue to start to bond. Then use a toothpick and start to pull drips of glue out of it - the glue starts to leave thin strings - and add it to the jaws of the Aliens. Done!

Lovely work, Sergeant!

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
    • Small Scale Operations Blog, my wargaming blog
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 08:25:16 AM »
Looking good.  :D
Thank you.

It's the attention to detail that always takes something from good to GREAT.  The saliva improved the aliens tenfold, yet the model itself is the same.  As my daughter says, "That's the AwesomeSauce!"
LOL. Yes, I think the drool adds really to their mean appearence. AwesomeSauce? I like that!

Loving them. Must buy me some... Along with all those other things
As Ajsalium said: prepare your wallet then. Mine have been sitting on a shelf in the basement ever since they were released. I bought like 4 or 5 boxes of them when they were released many years back. Nowadays you can't find them for a good price anymore. Spending 100+ bugs for a box of only 7 is lunatic.

That drool effect is freakin super! Best aliens I have seen due to that.
I have to admit the idea isn't new - nor is it mine. That effect has been in use with Tyranid players worldwide for years. Plus, Manatic's Aliens have it, too. I draw most of my ideas from that gentleman!

@Manatic: thanks, its your fault these look like they do.  :D

Ten done so far. Only 30 to go.

Another bunch of teeth, flailing tailspears and razor-sharp claws.

Standard Xenomorph Warrior drones. There will be a lot more of them.

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
Re: 28mm AVP project: update: drop ship crew + Bishop
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 09:42:58 PM »

Supporting Characters: Drop Ship Crew with (from left to right) W/O Pfc. Spunkmeyer, Pilot Cpl. Ferro and Synthetic (Android) "Bishop"

Both also being trained riflemen, Ferro and Spunkmeyer carry M41 "Pulse Rifles". Cpl. Ferro also has a VP-70 pistol for back-up. Since they are the designated crew of the Marine's dropship they do not wear M3 Body Armor. Bishop solely being a scientist and medic is prohibited to bear any small arms or rifles all together.

All three are Woodbine Miniatures. Bases from Fenris Games' Sulaco series. Note that Spunkmeyer had a head swap with a figure out of Gripping Beast's 28mm  Mo-Fo 1.9: 1990s US Downed Helicopter Crew

Both flight crew members have USCM badges on their sleeves.

On the left arm: US flag and rank insignia (Corporal in case of Ferro, with Spunkmeyer's being invisible due to rolled up sleeves)

Next batch of US Colonial Marines figures finished. With the dropship's pilot Ferro and her weapon systems officer Spunkmeyer I now have all Marines painted for first platoon as it was seen in ALIENS. The Synthetic "Bishop" makes it complete.
The figures were put onto Sulaco series bases from Fenris Games. I used the miniatures as they were, but didn't like the head of the figure that was supposed to be Spunkmeyer. Its hair were way to long for what was an almost clean shaven soldier in the movie.
I used another 28mm figure's pilot helmet wearing head and replaced the hippie-like looking one.  Since the green jumpsuits of the flight crew alone would have been a little boring, I tried once again to add all the colourful badges of the USCM to their uniform.
Bishop's clothes in the movie were a blue to greyish looking like overall, so there wasn't much colour to paint on the miniature apart from a clipboard with some notes that he holds in his hands.

Next will be some civilians, especially those that I need to make the movie setting work and also some sentry guns. Bear with me, there is more to come.

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 06:34:18 AM »
Bear with me, there is more to come.
Bear with you? Man, I watch this thread like a hawk for updates :D Really great stuff all around. Are you planning to get a dropship for them? I looked around for a good while but couldn't find one I was happy with - the licensed stuff was simply out of my price range. I eventually settled for a GW Imperial Guard Valkyrie. Doesn't look at all like the Aliens one, is very much on the small side compared to that, but is a nice kit so I just decided to drop all canon purism :D

Thanks for the kind words re:Aliens!

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 06:35:03 AM »
Bear with you? Man, I watch this thread like a hawk for updates. Really great stuff all around. Are you planning to get a dropship for them? I looked around for a good while but couldn't find one I was happy with - the licensed stuff was simply out of my price range. I eventually settled for a GW Imperial Guard Valkyrie. Doesn't look at all like the Aliens one, is very much on the small side compared to that, but is a nice kit so I just decided to drop all canon purism :D

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 08:03:04 AM »
Bear with you? Man, I watch this thread like a hawk for updates :D Really great stuff all around. Are you planning to get a dropship for them? I looked around for a good while but couldn't find one I was happy with - the licensed stuff was simply out of my price range. I eventually settled for a GW Imperial Guard Valkyrie. Doesn't look at all like the Aliens one, is very much on the small side compared to that, but is a nice kit so I just decided to drop all canon purism :D

I already have a drop ship. The liscensed one in 1/72 from Halcyon, new and un-opened in box  :-* . It will be painted some day this spring. I want the basics covered first - which means all infantry items.
No worries, my friend. All kudos goes to you since it was your stuff after all that brought me back on track finally painting my AVP collection.  ;)

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
Re: 28mm AVP project: update: Facehugger WIP
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 06:48:51 PM »

Free Hugs !!!

Pendraken's Facehugger (normally a monster for 10mm Sci-Fi) suit 28mm well as the classic Facehugger like they were seen in the Alien movies.

Today I've been mostly sculpting with Green Stuff. Since the Pendraken Huggers are coming on a small base that is almost impossible to be removed without damaging the miniature, I had to do something to make them look right on a 25mm base. I decided to create the Alien Hive structure that was seen in Aliens with green stuff and wrap it around the Facehugger. Some bits cut from Warhammer Fantasy Skeleton Steeds create the skeletal structure that was seen in the movie. It looks a bit rough in the pics above, but since the putty hasn't completely dried, I could not cut the plastic bits into exact pieces matching the bases yet. This will be done before I paint them.

Burke, Ripley, 1Lt. Campbell and some shooty bits for the humans are next on the list.

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
Re: 28mm AVP project: update: Facehugger WIP
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 10:29:31 PM »

Ten Facehuggers, made by Pendraken, placed upon hive-like bases that I sculpted myself.

The Alien hive floor was painted in three stages of blue and grey tones, although its not quite noticeable in the pics.

Hive floor: GW Shadow Grey, Revell Grey matt 57, Army Painter Dark Tone Wash, GW Fortress Grey.

The Huggers themselves were painted with GW Dwarf Flesh, highlighted with GW Elf Flesh and received a pin wash with Army Painter Soft Tone.

The Facehugger bases have been finished. Although the pics make you think they are only drybrushed in grey that is not what I have done. What the pictures can't really show is that there actually is a blend of three colours that went into the "resin" of the hive floor - see the last pic above for detail.
I am really pleased with the way the Facehuggers emerge from the darker ground. I especially like the tone they turned into after I applied the Army Painter Soft Tone wash. Let me know what you think.

Stay tuned!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: 28mm AVP project: update: Facehuggers done
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 12:49:58 AM »
Those are great. Excellent basing.

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 06:18:34 AM »
This project is shaping up wonderfully. Keep it up!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 07:16:29 AM »
Cracking thread!
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 07:54:49 AM »
Lovely stuff! Warriors give the creeps! :)

When do we get to see terrain and that dropship?  ;D

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 12:14:57 PM »
Fantastic!!!