Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:38:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689260
  • Total Topics: 118267
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fields of Glory (Osprey) and Wargames Factory Plastic Minis  (Read 10502 times)

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
    • Dispatches from the Miniature Front
Fields of Glory (Osprey) and Wargames Factory Plastic Minis
« on: March 01, 2008, 01:27:33 AM »
Went to Chapters last night (a big box book store, part of the Borders chain in the US) and was surprised to discover a newly released set of miniature table top wargame rules.  Fields of Glory Never heard of it before.  Looks like it's a joint production of Osprey and Slitherine (PC Game Developer).  Great production values and the system seems solid on my first read.

Initially they're covering Republican Rome and Late Medieval eras (supplements are already out).  They have supplements for the Crusades, Byzantine Empire, the Ottomans and Imperial Rome in the pipeline (which covers until October 2008) and apparently more's coming later,

Here's the link: http://www.fieldofglory.com/

Furthermore, it looks like they're co-operating with a minis developer as well to produce reasonably priced 28mm (1:56) scale plastic minis.  I think they're looking at a box of 48 foot for $30 or so.

Their website is here: http://www.wargamesfactory.com/Home.htm

Still looks like it's early in development, but they do have a few pictures up of what they are developing (they're apparently starting with Late Romans (Caesar) and Celts):

Dispatches from the Miniature Front - my occasionally updated blog

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Re: Fields of Glory (Osprey) and Wargames Factory Plastic Mi
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 10:35:47 AM »
Quote from: "Aesthete"
Went to Chapters last night (a big box book store, part of the Borders chain in the US) and was surprised to discover a newly released set of miniature table top wargame rules.  Fields of Glory Never heard of it before.  

FoG is one of the top themes on miniature-related www-boards this year.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 11:06:22 AM »
From what I understand, North Star are to carry the Wargames Factory range in the UK.

I'm going to pick up a box of their Celts, should be perfect for all sorts of stuff.

What I'm really looking forward to from them is the Crusades in plastic.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 11:18:33 AM »
Quote from: "revford"
From what I understand, North Star are to carry the Wargames Factory range in the UK.

I'm going to pick up a box of their Celts, should be perfect for all sorts of stuff.

What I'm really looking forward to from them is the Crusades in plastic.

Is that a definate range Rev? I just picked up a load of Moors form a swap with a mate and now may hang on buying too much more if they release Plastics

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 11:33:12 AM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"
Is that a definate range Rev? I just picked up a load of Moors form a swap with a mate and now may hang on buying too much more if they release Plastics

I've not heard it confirmed anywhere.

But, it's the next period covered by Field of Glory, if they are the official minis people for Field of Glory, then it makes sense.

I'm just extrapolating.

Also wishing.  :) :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 11:38:30 AM »
Fields of Glory has gone mental over at TMP. Seems that lately every other thread seems to be about it (and the cynic in me has been wondering how many of these are by genuine potential customers, and how many have been 'planted'). Everyone seems to be rushing to buy it without knowing the first thing about it, too.

Frankly I'm baffled. The hype sure seems to be working, as gamers are charging headlong at it like lemmings at a cliff. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a beef with the game (I know almost nothing about it), I just can't remember seeing this kind of behavior happen before. Maybe it happened with Flames of War, but if it did I didn't notice at the time.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 12:06:35 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Fields of Glory has gone mental over at TMP. Seems that lately every other thread seems to be about it (and the cynic in me has been wondering how many of these are by genuine potential customers, and how many have been 'planted'). Everyone seems to be rushing to buy it without knowing the first thing about it, too.

Frankly I'm baffled. The hype sure seems to be working, as gamers are charging headlong at it like lemmings at a cliff. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a beef with the game (I know almost nothing about it), I just can't remember seeing this kind of behavior happen before. Maybe it happened with Flames of War, but if it did I didn't notice at the time.

I agree Poly yeo the hype has certainly been contageous I do think there were one hell of a lot odf sock puppets on TMP probably form the play testers etc, very well done too all credit to them.

FOW was the same when it was released, I went to my club a coulpe of years ago after the Sheffield show and no less than 6 guys had bought into FOW :o not only that be they also bought all the sanctioned minitures and it wasnt until they started playing that they relasied it was Epic Space marine re-hashed and tweaked that it started to die the death of all fads I still see one or two games a month but not the hordes of little diddy tanks lined up as if on parade going across the table.

There are others that get pushed, THW, WAB etc from fans and publishers alike. I think Fields of Glory has had that extra push because it is rumoured to be a cross between WAB and DBXXXXX so attracts both audiences and the Osprey link promises plenty of eye candy. They have also beaten WAB with all the supplements being released quickly so you can get your fix and they are glossy not like DBXXXX home made publications.

Finally the War Factory pushing their figures off the back of this also gives another interesting lure.

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 12:24:58 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"

A spot of astroturfing shenanigans eh?

To be honest I'm mostly interested in the models, I've got a copy of WAB I've hardly ever played as it's tricky to get our local gamers to buy into an expensive game.

The expensive part being big units of ranked up models.

Good quality, fairly priced plastics like these and the stuff the Perry Miniatures are working on solve this issue.

Also the Celts sound perfect for Broadsword Adventure type games, so I'm keen to see them.

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 08:33:25 PM »
"Everyone seems to be rushing to buy it without knowing the first thing about it, too. "

I think there are three things driving it:

1)It's from Osprey. I have a feeling historical wargames would be a much smaller market if not for Osprey spoon feeding information to large portions of the gaming market. So they've got branding going for them.

2)People like their Romans like they like their Nazis only without the guilt trip.

But mostly I think it's: 3) OMG!1!!!1 CHEeP Minitur3s!!!1!!! I go to fleamarkets at cons too, but I don't pretend that less than a buck a figure is good for anybody but the buyer. There's seems to be a core of pennypinching to the hobby overall that I find kinda disturbing for several reasons.

I expect some manufacturers are going to really feel this game and especially it's figures coming this con season.
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 08:57:34 PM »
Quote from: "revford"
A spot of astroturfing shenanigans eh?

Or just a lot of people wanting to talk about the game. No reason to assume that they are all planted topics.

Besides, the only topics I see about it on TMP are people complaining about all the hype :-)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 09:21:52 PM »
Quote from: "wolfgangbrooks"

I think there are three things driving it:

1)It's from Osprey. I have a feeling historical wargames would be a much smaller market if not for Osprey spoon feeding information to large portions of the gaming market. So they've got branding going for them.

2)People like their Romans like they like their Nazis only without the guilt trip.

:lol: Spot on, on both counts, I am sure.
Very penetrating insights. Keep 'em coming...  :wink:

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
Re: Fields of Glory (Osprey) and Wargames Factory Plastic Mi
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 01:33:22 AM »
Quote from: "Poliorketes"
Quote from: "Aesthete"
Went to Chapters last night (a big box book store, part of the Borders chain in the US) and was surprised to discover a newly released set of miniature table top wargame rules.  Fields of Glory Never heard of it before.  

FoG is one of the top themes on miniature-related www-boards this year.

Hahahaha... well I just started hanging out on miniture related boards.  In fact, Lead Adventure Forum is the first one I signed up to.  So for me this whole thing came like lightning from a blue sky.  I've gotten all my info on stuff from browsing retailer sites, going to gaming stores and... well... that's it.

But yeah, I've discovered that I'm probably the only person who was taken by surprise by this whole thing.

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 01:40:22 AM »
For my part, I'm a sucker for hype, and Osprey is a brand that I recognize and respect.  Whether the game's any good I can't say as of yet (nor will I claim to be particularly discerning on the matter).  As for the minis, right now it seems I'm starting a hard core mini-loving phase so pretty much everything I haven't seen before that's decent quality gets me stoked.

Certainly, I think another well backed vendor producing quality, attractive product is a good thing in and off itself.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 01:52:56 AM »
Well quite. I didn't mean to come across as negative about the whole thing, to be honest I would catergorize myself more as neutral towards it, as Ancients gaming is something that I am really not into at the moment. I was just a bit surprised by just how much buzz seemed to be flying around about the whole thing.

Perhaps it is too cynical of me to ascribe it all to sock-puppetry, but I was only having these thoughts because I had truly never seen so many topics about a new game on one forum in so short a time.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 09:55:11 AM »
Maybe the popularity is people on the bounce from WAB ?

I looked at WAB, but it didn't really appeal to me (although we seem to have all the books), we still play WRG 4th edition, so want a ruleset that caters for big armies... amongst other things I was eccentric enough to collect a Macedonian phalanx of 240 figures, so big armies are quite big.
In the meantime we've shifted over to 15mm, which allows us to field an Egyptian army with 50 chariots....

We've just seen the new "Impetus" rules from Dadi & Piombo, so maybe this year we'll find a workable new rules set.

http://www.dadiepiombo.com/basic2.html
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)