Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:25:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686597
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: More hard plastic Ancients on the way  (Read 4705 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
More hard plastic Ancients on the way
« on: March 15, 2008, 06:50:03 PM »
Apparently "Fat Bloke" of White Dwarf fame is one of the people behind this new initiative:

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/111510/

Really cool to see yet another new line of plastic historical miniatures hit the market. It's "just" Romans for now, but I hope they do other periods later. Someone needs to do plastic multipart pirates, or something!
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 08:07:51 PM »
Interesting :)
I gave up on White Dwarf once old Paul Sawyer left - he seemed a nice chap.
And this range is good news for me :)

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 02:35:05 AM »
Wait, ANOTHER line of Roman and Celt plastics? What the hell.
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 02:39:43 AM »
Quote from: "wolfgangbrooks"
Wait, ANOTHER line of Roman and Celt plastics? What the hell.

Imperial Romans as opposed to Caesarian Romans... but yes, more plastic Celts and Romans.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 06:51:59 AM »
One does wonder at the wisdom of 2 competing hard plastic Roman lines from different companies coming out at roughly the same time...

That being said, from what I can see, I prefer this latest line to the rather squat & stubby previous line- they seem better proportioned & more gracefully-posed than the others.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 12:39:51 PM »
It's the same as with most things. Everyone knew about Osprey's new game coming out so they thought it would be a good time to jump into the game as well. Between that and WHA there were two large scale games with ancients. I'm sure to many it seemed like a good time to tap that market.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 12:48:28 PM »
I see the new EIR as a popular and sensible choice for a first off as it has always been the popular army for WAB with the army lists being in the original book alongside celts though the Caesarian Romans fought celts more.

I always think of Romans being the "Space Marines" of historical gaming, a bit of an uber army

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 08:13:12 PM »
"Everyone knew about Osprey's new game coming out so they thought it would be a good time to jump into the game as well."

I don't think it's got to do with copycating. Plans on both lines were probably being made at the same time, and Romans are an obvious place to start for ancients. (Just like it's easier to make money on WWII gaming than with Falklands War games.) I think the coincidence stems more from tech developments. These two aren't the only start ups producing plastics.

Offline DrunkenSamurai

• Bookworm
    • http://dspaintingblog.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 04:26:01 AM »
The new plastics will actually inspire me to build a WAB EIR army and a Celt army.  I have resited this for along time for sever al reasons.  The first id that the Foundry EIR are my fav but they are way too expensive.  The second it that you need a ton of Celts for a WAB army.  Plastics look as if they will solve both of these issues.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 10:03:15 AM »
Actually, not interested in the Romans, but if the Celts look ok I may be tempted to get a box, depending on the variety of contents.

I've been thinking about doing a Celtic warband for PigWars, or maybe some Slaine-type games, or maybe just for the hell of it.

The Renegade Celts nearly had me, but if the plastics are good enough, then I only need shell out for one box and a couple of metal characters.

I'll be watching this with interest.  :)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 11:35:55 PM »
If the plastic Celts include chariots or cavalry that would be very interesting - I've played ancients before but come from the "old school" generation where armies fielding chariots should have large numbers of them.
So in 15mm we have Egyptian (about 90 chariots), Hittite (only 30 chariots) and Sumerian (again only 30), but in 15mm they don't really have much visual impact in squadrons of less than 10.
But in 25mm large numbers would look spectacular.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)