Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:20:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690890
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone here play When the Navy Walked?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline mcb1968

• Lurker
Anyone here play When the Navy Walked?
« on: September 06, 2012, 02:44:48 AM »
We gave it a go at the local game store this weekend.

You can find pics here
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10151000625225964&type=1

and here

http://armchairgeneral1.blogspot.com/

The British Land cruisers were from the Dystopian Wars range by Spartan Games, the Walkers are old GW epic dreadnoughts, and the buildings were by Tamiya from their old 1/700 waterline range. The counters were from Junior General. My aim was to show the flexibility of the system to use a variety of scales and I think I succeeded quite well.

We played scenarios 1 and 2 from the basic rule book, When the Navy Walked. 
Game modification, Initiative for Movement.  We didn’t see this addressed in the book, so we put the following rule in effect.  After allocating command points for the movement phase we roll to see who moves first with the high roller selecting a unit and moving it first.  Ties are rerolled.  While most other actions can be done simultaneously, moving is one of those things that has to be done in some type of sequence, so this was our fix.  It seemed to work quite well.
Scenario modification: double forces.  We doubled the forces and added a C in C to both sides.

Orders of Battle (all are units from the basic rules)
Prussia
1 C in C Major General Holtz
1 Sub C in C Colonel Johann Schultz
2 Rifle Battalions
2 Scout Destroyer Walkers (Operating Independently)

Britain
1 C in C Major General Winston II
1 Sub C in C Colonel John Churchill
2 Rifle Battalions
2 Littleton Class Land Cruisers

Scenario 1 A basic meeting engagement
Turn 1 saw march columns moving into position in an attempt to gain terrain and flanking advantage.  No firing in turn 1.

Turn 2 had and exchange of gunfire that saw some infantry casualties, but no damage to any machines or capital units.

Turn 3 both sides attempted to improve their positions while still exchanging relatively light fire.

Turn 4 The Prussian walkers engage the British Land Cruisers while the cruisers focused on continuing to chew up the Prussian infantry.  One British cruiser took heavy damage but stayed in the fight.

Turn 5 The Prussians continue to pound the damaged British cruiser wrecking it.  British counter fire damaged one Prussian walker.  Prussia for the Win!

Scenario 2  Defend the Supply Depot
This scenario has a great deal of replay value and frankly, I can’t wait to give it a go again. 

The British opted to deploy “Turtle” for set up until they could see how the Prussians would come in.
Turn 1 saw the Prussians march into their initial battle positions and form line of battle to bring maximum firepower to bear in an attempt to damage as many British units as possible.  First was exchanged on both sides and one British and one Prussian walker took damage as well as a battalion of Prussian infantry taking some damage.

Turn 2 the Prussians began their assault in earnest and damaged units and buildings including doing more damage to one of the British cruisers.

Turn 3 the Prussians move into the woods on their left flank within rifle range of the depot so as to reduce their casualties from the defending British infantry who are pouring out a solid fire.  They pour fire into the nearest building damaging it severely.   The British lose one cruiser and the other is on fire while one Prussian walker collapses in a pile of smoking metal and steam.  On the right flank, that Prussian Battalion is getting chewed on by both the land cruiser and the British who are in the buildings on that side of the depot.

Turn 4 the second British cruiser falls to concentrated rifle fire from the Prussian rifle infantry in the trees while the return fire from the British on that side causes only light casualties.  The Prussian walker on the left flank fires on the read most building and finished destroying it.  The British Rifle battalion on the Prussian right flank pushes the Prussian rifles away from the depot with heavy fire. A Prussian spy plants a bomb in the building on the right flank causing some damage.  The British persuade a company of Prussian infantry to surrender and the leave the field reducing that battalion to half strength.  The battalion passes its morale test and keeps the field.

Turn 5 the Prussian walker takes a building across the compound under fire while the British infantry nearest open fire on the walker damaging it.  Prussian rifle fire on the left flank causes casualties among the British holding out in their shot up building, but they hold firm.  On the Prussian right flank, that rifle battalion is reduced to a single company that refuses to break!   The colonel Churchill takes his command unit around to the left and finishes destroying the building on the Prussian left flank.

Turn 6 the remaining Prussian walker goes down but the British rifle battalion under the direction of General Winston on the left flank breaks under the pounding that they are taking from the Prussians under General Holtz.  The lone Prussian rifle company moves in and begins attempting to demolish the remaining British building, but their tools are not up to the task.  They are a victim of a wild grenade explosion and are finally rendered combat ineffective and cease to take any meaningful part in the fight.

Turn 7 with General Winston’s force temporarily out of the fight, the Prussians go after the remaining building with rifle fire nearly destroying it.  The remaining British rifle battalion goes to column to bring itself across the back side of the compound and bring Colonel Schultz’s command under fire, but the woods keep them safe.  The Prussians attempt to charge in and finish the destruction of the remaining building with charges and grenades, but the burning British cruiser in the middle of the compound’s street causes the units to lose cohesion and in the confusion units have to pause to reorder themselves. 

End game, British win on casualties caused as the Prussians withdraw to their part of the South Africa province.  With the damage to the depot and the other units, it’s a hollow victory for sure.

Force on table at end of game
Prussians
1 C in C Major General Holtz
1 Sub C in C Colonel Johann Schultz
3 rifle companies of one battalion
British
1 C in C Major General Winston II
1 Sub C in C Colonel John Churchill
1 complete rifle battalion
1 half strength rifle battalion

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Anyone here play When the Navy Walked?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »
Thanks much for the AAR.

However, I own several of the books, but haven't tried out yet. Would really like to know how you enjoyed the play, especially if you ran the vanquished Prussians. Always a big plus when you hear 'my lads lost, but I had a great time.'

Have you looked over the air game?

Doug

Offline mcb1968

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 11:21:33 PM »
I really enjoyed the game.  I am a big fan of both steampunk and "rank and file" games and this blends both.  The scenarios play in a reasonable amount of time.  We used markers for the machines rather than the mark off sheets for the vehicles.  I havent' tried the air game yet, but its on the to do list. I have some cut out pieces from another steampunk game that I plan to use to try the aether rules out.

Offline watchtower78

• Scientist
    • Dastardly Designed Games
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 08:13:01 PM »
Heya Beast!  It was nice running into you at Recruits¡  Btw I am always available to help out and answer any questions about our games.