Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:42:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689603
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CyberAlien312's Doctor Who miniatures  (Read 6553 times)

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
CyberAlien312's Doctor Who miniatures
« on: September 09, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »
Hiya,

Since my collection of Doctor Who miniatures is growing rapidly, I thought I'd show a few of my Doctor Who minis.

This is my Minotaur figure from the 2011 series. It's a Doctor Who Adventures freebie, and I tried sticking to the original colours.

This is my Face of Boe miniature. The face itself was sculpted of green stuff. The machine thing was built from balsa wood, plastic and foamboard. I then painted it, glued the face into place, and painted the face. To finish it I glued thin transparent plastic to it to make it look like the face was behind glass.

Here is my handbot from the 2011 series. I am quite satisfied with this one, as I'm rubbish at painting white.
It's a DWA freebie.

These (on the first picture) are two cybermen DWA freebies from the latest issue. They were very easy to paint, but the figures themselves are quite bad. They're not as rubbish as the old, chubby versions, though (second picture).

These are my Daleks from series 5 (2010). I haven't got all of the coloured daleks yet, and I still have a few unpainted versions of those DWA daleks lying around. I hope I'll soon have the time to paint them.

So, those were a few of my Doctor Who figures. I have quite a few other painted Doctor Who figures, including some from heresy miniatures and black tree design.
If people like these, I think I'll post my other figures too in the near future.
I'd love to hear some feedback!

CyberAlien312
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
Re: CyberAlien312's Doctor Who miniatures
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:46:36 PM »
Is it coincidence that the scratchbuilt model is easily the best (apart, perhaps, from the Heresy Dr Hugh)?  The Face of Boe is great, but while I admire your persistence with those Cybermen, I do think you'd be better off seeking out some Doctor Who Micro-Universe ones on ebay.

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 07:02:08 PM »
Is it coincidence that the scratchbuilt model is easily the best (apart, perhaps, from the Heresy Dr Hugh)?  The Face of Boe is great, but while I admire your persistence with those Cybermen, I do think you'd be better off seeking out some Doctor Who Micro-Universe ones on ebay.

Thanks! I know that the MU cybermen are much better, but I had these lying around and I couldn't find MU cybermen on eBay that could be posted to the Netherlands.  :(  A lot of people on eBay.co.uk won't post their items to the Netherlands, and on the dutch eBay there are no cybermen. Do you know some other internet shop that sells MU figures? Where did you get your cybermen?

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
Where did you get your cybermen?

I bought lots of the Micro-Universe packs when they were on sale in the shops, and even more when they hit the discount stores, so I haven't had to find a retailer recently, I'm afraid.

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 06:09:37 PM »
LOVE the Face of Boe.  A really well-done scratch build (also, nice pinstripes on the Doctor there, your hands must be younger than mine!)  I hate to say it, but no paint job could have saved those Cybermen... they really got their mom's hips and look a bit like inflatable punching bags.  The Daleks are better, fortunately.

If you want some better Cybermen etc., I'd love to recommend Black Tree Miniatures' Doctor Who line, but

1) their customer service ranges from "quite slow" to "where the f**k are my miniatures, it's been six months"

2) sculpts vary widely from "really great" to "painfully ugly"

3) pre-Ninth Doctor stuff only, maybe not so interesting for newer fans

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 06:37:27 PM »
Wonderful stuff my friend!

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 07:28:54 PM »
Thanks! It's a shame those MU cybermen are hard to come by.

If you want some better Cybermen etc., I'd love to recommend Black Tree Miniatures' Doctor Who line
I'm afraid I'm looking for new series cybermen, not classic series cybermen. But thanks!

I've got some more photos. Most of these have already been posted on the forum, but I thought I'd show them anyway.

This is my new series sontaran, converted from a black tree classic series sontaran. I sculpted the shoulder things and painted it in the appropriate colours.

These are DWA Silence. They were very easy to paint. The one in the middle has been converted by sticking a hot wire down his throat to make it look like he has a mouth. (I know, how cruel is that  >:D)
I can't stand the gleaming suits, though. I might matt varnish them some day...

This is exactly the same photograph that I posted a few weeks ago, but I thought I would show it anyway as I'm rather fond of it. It was a horrorclix Evil Cosmonaut, but I removed a part of his legs to make him look shorter, and I sculpted the visor. The Eleventh doctor is in the picture as well.

This is a weeping angel DWA freebie. This isn't one of the very bendy ones, This one is from the latest issue and is much better.

To finish, I thought I'd show my Black Tree new series daleks (well, actually they are classic series daleks painted as new series daleks). The one on the left was painted about 2 years ago, the one in the middle about a year ago and the other one a few months ago, hence the colour difference.

Well, that's it for now.
Please reply and tell me what you think!

Offline Talysman

• Bookworm
    • Displaced Miniatures Gallery
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 03:56:08 AM »
Very nice stuff :)

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 11:16:08 AM »

If you want some better Cybermen etc., I'd love to recommend Black Tree Miniatures' Doctor Who line, but

1) their customer service ranges from "quite slow" to "where the f**k are my miniatures, it's been six months"

That hasn't been the case for some time.  These days, it's more like varying from 3 days to a week from order to delivery, in my experience.

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 06:31:40 PM »
That hasn't been the case for some time.  These days, it's more like varying from 3 days to a week from order to delivery, in my experience.

Damn you... that was my major excuse for not ordering yet more DW figures I have no time to paint!

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 12:10:48 PM »
A few more Doctor Who miniatures, since I got me a few boxes of Micro Universe figures :) :

Dalek Sec (Human-Dalek hybrid):

2 Daleks:

Mickey Smith:

Slitheen:

Autons:

And finally...
Cybermen:

Please tell me what you think of them!

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 12:22:54 PM »
Great paintjobs. I ended up giving my dwa freebies to my daughter as I didn't want to try and paint them so I am just sticking to BTD stuff. You have made the DWA stuff look really good though keep it up :D

Offline carrma

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 07:25:39 PM »
Nice work!  Great paint jobs on the micro universe figures!  You worked wonders on the DWA cybermen but the MU ones are perfect.

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 06:16:13 PM »
All right, a small update...
Fourth Doctor and K-9:

Another picture of them in the TARDIS control room:

My attempt at building a Dalek saucer, inspired by the one in the Dalek Invasion Of Earth supplement of the Doctor Who miniatures game:

I'm going to paint the saucer in a bronze/gold colour, for use with my new series daleks.
Please tell me what you think of them!  :)

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 06:19:58 PM »
Love the fourth Doctor and K9 and the control room looks great.  The spaceship looks good. Have you got a photo of a Dalek next to it to show the scale.  I have always wanted to build a spaceship like the one in the 2nd movie but thats a project too far at the moment.