Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:25:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Very American Civil War  (Read 19698 times)

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
Re: Very American Civil War
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 01:35:19 PM »
I thought I had more possible troops than I do. I've got plenty with BARs and Tommyguns, not nearly enough with rifles and mshotguns, way too many with pistols.

I've got to get bhack to painting and order some more.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2012, 02:03:41 PM »
We've run a few games with the same problems so our short term solution was to classify the pistols as the poor conscripts with poor morale - the folks you wouldn't trust with better weapons. The BARs and Thompsons were for the socially elite and they had heavy ammo restrictions and were trigger happy troops, shooting at unidentified targets at far ranges with no chance of hitting.

It made for some interesting games.

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »
Good idea, but I still need to get some painted up. I'll just order fewer additional.

I'll never die, I haven't painted all my figures  lol

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 04:23:58 PM »
Never let it be said that I don't wholeheartedly urge everyone to buy more lead - in fact this thread was the kick in the pants to get me to make three small orders in an effort to put together a civilian gun crew.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 08:51:43 PM »
We've run a few games with the same problems so our short term solution was to classify the pistols as the poor conscripts with poor morale - the folks you wouldn't trust with better weapons. The BARs and Thompsons were for the socially elite and they had heavy ammo restrictions and were trigger happy troops, shooting at unidentified targets at far ranges with no chance of hitting.

It made for some interesting games.

That actually makes a lot of sense. The rifles (and some shotguns) would often be farm boys or other country folk, most of whom can actually shoot.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 02:41:49 PM »
I have decided to go with a modified Where Heroes Dare for a game system rather than GASLIGHT. Are there any vehicle movement rules in the other games in that family?

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2012, 07:56:06 PM »
Here is my most recent post on VACW covering the 2 types of tanks that would have been somewhat readily available.

http://mysteriousbill.weebly.com/2/post/2012/09/vacw-armor.html

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 01:35:04 AM »
Will you be including the M1, M2 and M2 'Mae West' Combat Cars/Tanks in future instalments?  ;)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2012, 01:52:22 AM »
Don't forget the armed cars as well.

http://www.brigadegames.com/M1-Scout-Car-with-4-Crew-156th_p_1893.html

Also, is there a uniform guide some were showing what the Army was kited out with in the 1930s? Would regular, I was looking at the USMCs fighting in south America, but they just don't seem right for action in the Lower 48. At the same time lots of the great war figures look to gritty to me.
Also what was the stranded TO&E for a US infantry Company, platoon, and squad in the 30s?
Thoughts? Ideas?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 02:13:30 AM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2012, 05:08:08 PM »
Actually I'm starting my campaign in 1933.

The M1, M2 combat cars don't come out till much later and the M1 Scout car isn't available until 1935.

In 1932 the 1st Cavalry lost their horses and became an armored unit. As late as the 1934 military exercises they only had 7 armored vehicles (regular trucks with a stripe of paint on them filled in for the other armored vehicles).

This is the era where the Army only was allowed 14 rounds a month per soldier for target practice.

I picked 33 because of the assissination attempt, but also because it was the worst point of the Depression. Things may not have been that much better later, but help was becoming available and things were looking up. By 1935 you could tell that the government was actually trying to help (TVA, WPA, CCC, actually ordering more than 10 armored vehicles at a time, etc.). In the very early 30's there was no hope and people would have been easier to mobilise for armed conflict.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2012, 07:23:22 PM »
Though a wartime footing might see some of those early vehicles shoved into production. The T4 armored car for example was first tested in '31 even though it wasn't deployed until '35.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2012, 11:42:02 PM »
Though a wartime footing might see some of those early vehicles shoved into production. The T4 armored car for example was first tested in '31 even though it wasn't deployed until '35.

That could be a good way to escalate things once the campaign gets going.

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2012, 12:38:50 AM »
T-4 OK who makes a model?

There are a number tanks and armored cars in developmental stages at the time (didn't Christie have a few tanks being evaluated by the Army). But who makes models of them in 25/28mm. Heck, you could take one of those sorta-looks-right for the times models that I have seen released recently and use it.

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2012, 07:30:17 AM »
Don't forget the ever popular home-made armored car.  There would also be imports. 

And who would end up with the tanks that were here  Many were scattered to become VFW hall monuments.  Getting one working would require enginers and/or mechanics.  Those men would not likely be in the army. 

FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2012, 01:30:30 PM »
The M1917 and Liberty Tanks would generally still be in working condition. They are only 14 years old and they all the Army has. Sure outdated, but not yet obsolete.

Here's a quick and incomplete list of Interwar armored vehicles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_interwar_armoured_fighting_vehicles#Light_armoured_cars