Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:27:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686500
  • Total Topics: 118104
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Song of Blades and Heroes  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
Song of Blades and Heroes
« on: September 11, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »
I'm interested in getting some some rules to use with my toy soldiers, and I've heard lots of good things about SOBH. Can someone give me a breakdown of the pros and cons of the rule set? Or point me at a good review? The only skirmish rules I'm familiar with is Mordheim as a point of reference.

Thanks.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Re: Song of Blades and Heroes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 11:46:10 PM »
I'm getting out, so if you'd like to buy my hard copy, drop me a line. Great fun, fast and easy. I just have no one to play against... :-[

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 04:52:49 AM »
I ought to write a review on my site, as I've answered this question many times. =)

SOBH is great! Rules are very simple and there's rarely any book keeping during the game. It's easy to learn, but is still stimulating enough for you to not grow tired of it.

The best thing about SOBH for me is the points system, allowing me to stat up any miniature in my collection and it will be fairly balanced in-game.

The only downside is the low granularity of the D6, which isn't really the game's fault. =)
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Barks

• Librarian
    • Wargaming with Barks
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 05:24:40 AM »
I'm a fan- simple, intuitive, cinematic, quick. You only need 5-10 models a side, and they can be anything. I've never felt so inspired to stat up a warband and go hunting. You don't need a whole army, just a few figures that take your fancy.

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 05:26:12 AM »
It's a really good game!
They really hit a wonderful balance between making a game that's quick to learn, and can be played quickly if you're short of time and yet still retains a good 'depth' (for lack of a better word!) like special rules and so forth.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:41:49 AM »
Good straight forward game, low price cost makes it worth getting just for a look. THe flexibility is great, though I feel some types are just too good/bad (Quality 6+ and 2+ models).
Personally at the moment I prefer Skulldred, though as it's in the last playtest stages I'm not sure that there's a version floating around on the internet at the moment.
Duncan

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 09:05:13 AM »
Just bought the pdf and am really looking forward to playing. I love the way you have to make choices each turn (whther you roll 1, 2, or 3 dice for initiative). As stated already it is a simple to learn but I suspect it will be an interesting game. Showed it to a friend and straight away he said 'Oh, I could use some of my Ancient Romans which are sitting around' and that is another benefit - you can use any ancient/dark age/medieaval/fantasy figures.

John

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 09:07:10 AM »
Just bought the pdf and am really looking forward to playing. I love the way you have to make choices each turn (whther you roll 1, 2, or 3 dice for initiative). As stated already it is a simple to learn but I suspect it will be an interesting game. Showed it to a friend and straight away he said 'Oh, I could use some of my Ancient Romans which are sitting around' and that is another benefit - you can use any ancient/dark age/medieaval/fantasy figures.

John
Be aware there's a new edition being released any day now. Provide your purchase receipt to Andrea and he'll send you the new version for free.

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 10:45:15 PM »
Any idea if it's going to be radically different from the current edition?

Does SoBH allow for 'leveling up' a la the Mordheim campaign rules or is it my 10 guys vs your 10 guys every time?