Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:48:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690474
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Atomic Cafe 1957: List of compatible miniatures  (Read 8709 times)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Re: Atomic Cafe 1957: List of compatible miniatures
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 03:28:59 AM »
Ooh, interesting choice. Something definitely creepy about them... they're from the Devil's Rejects film, I think? Never saw it my self. Maybe some slightly unhinged hillbilly types?

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 06:48:25 AM »
It looks like a Hill Billy gang would be easy enough to do, so if you wanted to do 'boondockers' without the creepy physic space monkey, thet could be a way to go :)

Some of the RAFM Call of Cthulhu figures might be ok I guess (The unhinged hillbillies made me think of the 'maniacs' set!) but most will be way out of date.

I'm trying to think if WestWind's Gothic horror range has anything suitable, but most of the packs are too early (30's), waaay to early (1800's) or a bit late (bikers).... Tht said, if people wanted to add cheesy B movie 'monsters' they might be ok.

Eureka has their Pulp GIs which might be useful additions to an army force, and add to the slightly dishevelled Post Apoc look. I seem to recall they also do guys with suits and insect heads who might make good mutants.

I also wonder if some of the Musketeer interwar figures (without British Pie dish helmets) might be usable, for less 'trendy' types and older folks who still insist on wearing their suit jacket and Fedora, although leaving off the tie as the world has ended
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 08:22:53 AM »
It looks like a Hill Billy gang would be easy enough to do, so if you wanted to do 'boondockers' without the creepy physic space monkey, thet could be a way to go :)

No monkey would mean that they're just a group of wild and unintelligent ferals... even the rad-zombies have their semi-intelligent brain-zombie thingy.
;)

I also wonder if some of the Musketeer interwar figures (without British Pie dish helmets) might be usable, for less 'trendy' types and older folks who still insist on wearing their suit jacket and Fedora, although leaving off the tie as the world has ended.

Some of them work imo, others are more Atomic Tea Rooms '57, nevertheless a good call! I also think leaving your tie off might be symptomatic that you'd accepted life might be somewhat different from now on.
:)

There are also Raven Painting's Midnight Riders, which imho would make nice gang of survivors. I'm no expert but the weapons and clothing  ;D look suitable for 1957 to me.

I think you'd get away with these if they were mixed in with the AC57 ones. They're damned fine looking figures though.  :)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 04:08:50 PM »

Some of them work imo, others are more Atomic Tea Rooms '57, nevertheless a good call! I also think leaving your tie off might be symptomatic that you'd accepted life might be somewhat different from now on.
:)

Somewhere in Britain 1957: A nuclear cataclysm has devasted the shores of the sceptered isle.  From Land's End to Joan O Groats, amidst the blackened ruins, are a but a few survivors. They live in constant fear of enormous, roaming bands of the undead, all bearing a remarkable likeness to Norman Tebbit and controlled by the master zombie, Norman Wisdom.

Hunger grips the land as Britain's foodstocks have been wiped out and all arable land lies beneath a thick covering of radioactive ash. Only one reliable source of sustenance remains... the nigh indestructible Dundee cake to be found in the remaining Lyon's Tea rooms scattered across the countryside. Your mission to find and defend the tea rooms and search fo the last piece of Battenburg in the UK. Godspeed and good luck!
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 07:24:34 AM »
Quite.  lol   Of course you'd have to remove the first .5" of crust so that it's radiation free.

You would need to make a few rule changes too, the "One's own sort" rule would prevent mixed gangs being formed and the "Have we been properly introduced?" rule would prevent special characters from joining a gang.

;)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 04:29:09 AM »
Ha ha!

Well the other option for 'not quite' figures would be zombies :)

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 08:15:20 PM »
Found out today Warlord Games is about to release plastic WW2 soviets.
http://www.warlordgames.com/store/bolt-action/soviet-army/soviet-infantry-plastic-box-set.html

With Kalashnikovs instead of those rifles they'd pass easily as late fifties invaders. Or with no weapons at all, as they're out of ammunition anyway.... A horde of 40 unarmed commie invaders, haha!
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 08:21:38 PM »
How about Crooked Dice?

http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 08:52:48 PM »
http://www.warlordgames.com/store/bolt-action/soviet-army/soviet-infantry-plastic-box-set.html

With Kalashnikovs instead of those rifles they'd pass easily as late fifties invaders. Or with no weapons at all, as they're out of ammunition anyway.... A horde of 40 unarmed commie invaders, haha!

Have a good look at them. Apart from being fairly unattractive figures, the box seems to a curious mixture of early war gymnastierkas and mid to late war quilted winter jackets, plus a number are wearing putties and short boots. I'd say it would be far more trouble than it's worth.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 11:10:06 PM »
Yes, I see the point. I think there is a very particular style that Brigade is trying to capture, and it might get a bit distilled as one goes back of forward a few decades... I think it's safe to assume that the best figures will be the Brigade ones, and the rest add a bit of flavour and variety to the mix.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 02:11:11 AM »

Have a good look at them. Apart from being fairly unattractive figures, the box seems to a curious mixture of early war gymnastierkas and mid to late war quilted winter jackets, plus a number are wearing putties and short boots. I'd say it would be far more trouble than it's worth.

Besides the 'one box of figures suits all' mentality, the price puts me off... £28 for 40 figures versus the Perry price of £18 for the same amount (albeit no WW2 just yet)... that's 70p against 45p a figure and frankly they aren't all that. There would be a considerable number of Soviets still toting smgs or SKS carbines, even DPMs in 1957... but I doubt you'd get such a variety of dress in a single unit, even during WW2.

How about Crooked Dice?

http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/

They are excellent looking figures as seen in the lead, although mid-sixties to early 1970's for the most part, there are some suitable figures in there, as is the case with Artizan/Copplestone KKBB ranges.

Yes, I see the point. I think there is a very particular style that Brigade is trying to capture, and it might get a bit distilled as one goes back of forward a few decades... I think it's safe to assume that the best figures will be the Brigade ones, and the rest add a bit of flavour and variety to the mix.

Yes, it's a point in time and while you could stretch it back to about 1945 or forwards to about 1965, without it looking too wrong, before or after these dates, you've lost that 'look' for the most part (barring those who wore out of fashion styles obviously). It's not that noticeable with conservative styles and to an extent with men's suits, but casual wear and particularly women's fashion changed quite a bit.

Although I'm not keen on the game itself, I bought almost all of the range and still live in hope that more figures will follow eventually. I plan on using them for a 50s-60s PA setting a la Fallout, or a 50s style Sci-Fi thingy... I'm not sure which at this point.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 09:15:49 AM »
There are also Raven Painting's Midnight Riders, which imho would make nice gang of survivors. I'm no expert but the weapons and clothing  ;D look suitable for 1957 to me.

Weyheyhey..! Those are not from The House of a 1000 corpses, are they? I think I recognize not Captain Spaulding. I think I need these.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 09:20:56 AM »
Yes, they are. Have fun.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous