Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:02:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: To dream the impossible team... dream... unit  (Read 4205 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
To dream the impossible team... dream... unit
« on: September 17, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »
Okay, leaving aside manufacturers for now,  assume you want 1 or 2 Company sized units of figures in either 15/18 mm or 25/28+ mm figures for Near future/SGF games and are looking for a complete (in existence) single source?

My dream TO&E would be fire teams of figures, unique sculpts for each figure in the fire team (say 3 - 5, most likely 4 creature/man teams) and possibly three or more sets of unique fire team figures (different poses,  prone, and/or kneeling, etc.,) enough to fill out a 27 (3 x 3 x3 not counting HQ/Support figures listed below) figure platoon (minimum sized?) up to 64 (4 x 4 x 4 as before) (realistic maximum?) figure unit.  Weapons would include "rifles", SAWs, GLs (unique weapons or attached to "Rifles".)  Figure poses could be repeatable for each squad sized unit for a practical aspect but ideally no two figures in a squad would be duplicates.   :)  :-*  8)

I would want a Officer, A Platoon NCO, a RTO/EW figure, A medic figure, a Sniper, and possibly a "runner" (when you are jammed, assuming the rules are there for that,) figure to choose from for the Platoon HQ assets - not that each platoon would have a complete set of them.   ;)

For attachable assets from "Company level" I would consider, LMG/MMG (2- 3 figure) teams, Flamer/Flame Thrower (1 or 2 figure team,) and RL/ATGM teams (2 - 3 figures) as necessary.  Possible another HQ unit set of Company level for those times when the Company commander would be there to provide support/butt in.   :o

In an Ideal world there would be "Battalion Assets" such as HMG team equivalents along with "portable" (loosely or  GRAV based equipment) Light "infantry" artillery/ATG team sets.  Hell, why not ask for RAM (Rocket assisted Mortars) light mortar teams too.  Maybe have CASEVAC/MEDEVAC assets (vehicle?) too?     ???

Oh, Artillery and Aerospace liaison support figures (individual/2 - 3 man teams) figures for "all out" scenarios too.   ::)

Now, I have not searched recently but GZG was a close match for certain "nations" in 25 mm size "back in the day."  No idea about 15/18 mm or the 28+ mm sized figure lines.  Or even current 25 mm sized figures.  Anyone have a source that actually does the kind kind of complete TO&E thing I described above?

I have some urban terrain (I'd used my adobe buildings - imagine a future high tech equivalent for a colony world) in the circa 25 mm size I can use for a setting and to keep vehicle use to a minimum because of $$$ (mostly, honestly,) and game balance issues.

Okay,back to Earth/reality  :o but if anyone knows of companies actually supplying those figures please chime in.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: To dream the impossible team... dream... unit
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:15:15 PM »
Tall order, especially if you want them all to be uniques. best bet would be to go the plastic route and pose them yourself. So; GW's Imperial Guard? Mantic's Corporation? Defiance Games' USMC or Germans?

If you want them all to be uniquely posed and also metal though, you're on your own... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »
Hasslefree Grymn has almost everything you are looking for!

I team mine with Old crow vehicles.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 12:27:24 PM »
There are a few ranges out there, but not many. I know I've searced for it as well, but I really wanted a complete TO&E set of aliens, that weren't fantasy races in space og anthromorphic animals.
Try as mentioned the various plastics, or as mentioned Hasslefree's Grymn. Then if you combine EM4 and Copplestones troopers there's a set there. Pig Iron also do 2 or 3 near enough a full ranges.
Duncan

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »
I am just finishing off a Khurasan Neo Arab force for Tomorrow's war and I think this would do want you want in 15/18mm. You say you want all different poses in a squad but you don't say how many figures in a squad - I am presuming a squad is the same as a fire team. In any event there at least 8 different figures. They also include command, heavy weapons, runners etc. Only thing I can see not being covered is a flamethrower. Lovely figures as well!

John

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 03:18:28 PM »

Yep, I second that. and if you want medics, you just convert running HMG gunners into stretcher bearers and kneeling troops into standard medics.

There are multiples for HMG (SAW) gunners and rocket launchers (in the light infantry section), officers aplenty and enough variety to have unique miniatures for almost all of your 27 troops (if not all of them). The Grymn are 21mm tall, well armed and look just sci-fi enough to be included as either near-future or sci-fi... as long as you accept they are Dwarfs.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »
I've done similar using GZG 15mm from their NAC range and I've found most of the above to be covered in there albeit I do have the odd duplicate figure. I also team up with Old Crow vehicles

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 09:38:51 PM »
GW metal imperial guard ranges, each of those has enough unique poses to create a 10 to 20 man unit with enough special and heavy weapons not to mention radio men and medics.  Be expensive though, speaking from experience.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 11:40:54 PM »
Tall order, especially if you want them all to be uniques. best bet would be to go the plastic route and pose them yourself. So; GW's Imperial Guard? Mantic's Corporation? Defiance Games' USMC or Germans?

If you want them all to be uniquely posed and also metal though, you're on your own... ;)

Fair summation, I admit.

Only slightly overstated rant - I would abandon a project before using large numbers of GW figures.  I certainly would not pay retail or buy their products on a regular basis - bad experiences with their Reps from early on...   :(  No sense of a good enough reason to change my practices about GW so far. 

I did use some second hand Lizardmen for Venusian VSF games against the "Spanish oppressors/Humans"  that I believe were GW from Ebay but that was the first time I have bought (probable) GW figures and it was only because it was so much cheaper than retail. And I debated for several days while I tried to find lower prices for any reasonable lizardmen than were on Ebay.  I finally took advantage of the offers from some people who apparently really wanted to dump the figures.  Not sure it was a good choice but it was an easy choice at the time.  Probably hve lots of karma for taking the easy path...   lol   :o   lol 

I will look at the companies you suggest (again - it's been  while,)  to see if they meet my wants.  I can always return to GZG and buy NAC instead of NI I suppose.   :-I

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 11:43:27 PM »

Will check them out though I pretty much steer clear of SF Dwarves.  Which is weird because my fantasy non-RPG figures are almost exclusively Dwarf forces.

Never claimed to consistent between genres which would be a lie if I said that...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 11:45:25 PM »
Yep, I second that. and if you want medics, you just convert running HMG gunners into stretcher bearers and kneeling troops into standard medics.

There are multiples for HMG (SAW) gunners and rocket launchers (in the light infantry section), officers aplenty and enough variety to have unique miniatures for almost all of your 27 troops (if not all of them). The Grymn are 21mm tall, well armed and look just sci-fi enough to be included as either near-future or sci-fi... as long as you accept they are Dwarfs.

Okay, this suggests I seriously need to check out the Grymn figures.

Dwarf SF troops, who knew they might be my solution?

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 11:46:52 PM »
I've done similar using GZG 15mm from their NAC range and I've found most of the above to be covered in there albeit I do have the odd duplicate figure. I also team up with Old Crow vehicles

Plus, I liked the 25 mm SF IF and IC troops I owned in the past. 

Minus, 15 mm is a third scale for storage.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 11:48:25 PM »
GW metal imperial guard ranges, each of those has enough unique poses to create a 10 to 20 man unit with enough special and heavy weapons not to mention radio men and medics.  Be expensive though, speaking from experience.

In a ideal world cost would not be a factor but tertiary interest genre with high cost is a "Hmmm" moment.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 01:54:15 AM »
I've used Rebel Minis' US Army figures as Stargate Command (and most recently, as low-tech scifi), they work pretty well. 
http://www.velociengineer.net/category/scifi/stargate

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 03:55:13 PM »
Black Scorpions US range is worth a look, as is EM4 mixed with Copplestone future troops.