Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:37:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690883
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm  (Read 100097 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm
« Reply #255 on: February 09, 2016, 08:59:09 AM »
Sounds like a good idea. :)

Thanks WK  :)

Wade - over to you...

I think a single sticky index of all things GOT/ASOIAF-related on LAF is a good start point, and then let's see how it goes?

The problem with child boards is that there are so many different fantasy milieus and genres, that if every one had its own child board, we could end up with dozens cluttering the place up. That way madness lies... :)

Don't think it matters too much whether the GOT threads linked out to reside in Fantasy, Medieval or Workbench. We're not too rigorous about what sits where if there's reasonable room for interpretation  8)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #256 on: February 09, 2016, 09:05:22 AM »

The problem with child boards is that there are so many different fantasy milieus and genres, that if every one had its own child board, we could end up with dozens cluttering the place up. That way madness lies... :)

Don't think it matters too much whether the GOT threads linked out to reside in Fantasy, Medieval or Workbench. We're not too rigorous about what sits where if there's reasonable room for interpretation  8)

Exactly. If we have a GoT board, then what about a Tolkien board? A warhammer board? A sticky thread sounds much better!

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #257 on: February 09, 2016, 03:01:19 PM »
Good morning, fellow Adventurers! (Pacific Standard Time here)

"I think a single sticky index of all things GOT/ASOIAF-related on LAF is a good start point, and then let's see how it goes?

The problem with child boards is that there are so many different fantasy milieus and genres, that if every one had its own child board, we could end up with dozens cluttering the place up. That way madness lies..."

I'm on it. Prototype later today for your cheers and jeers - in it's own thread, to be "stickied" when it passes muster. 

Thank you Neil/Sukhe-Bator for graciously forbearing this community digression in your personal project thread.

Now, off to the salt mines!  :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 04:23:54 PM by Dilettante Gamer »
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #258 on: February 09, 2016, 06:16:57 PM »
I'm curious to how it will work out. I've been thinking about a GoT related childboard before. I realised that way everyone would want their own childboard soon enoighy, so that wouldn't be an option. 
The idea of an index though is interesting!  :)
Hope to see it work out well!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #259 on: February 22, 2016, 09:33:10 AM »
Well, I've finally gone and done it. I spotted a copy of Lion Rampant in my local bookstore at the weekend and thought 'what the heck!'. I'm very glad I did. My musings over the composition of my Retinues has been greatly distilled into positive action... The figure totals for the units have also given me ideas on how to assemble my forces. I was always going for the medieval 'battle' approach so had several combined units in mind. I'm going to combine several houses into the 24 point retinue. The fact that standards are incidental and leaders are nominated helps no end. This will help create the heraldic medley of the polyglot bannermen levies that I was after.

For example, I was holding back a unit of crossbowmen to use with the Lannister force. Now I know the unit is 12 strong, I intended a large portion of the contingent would be in Lannister livery reflecting their wealth, so 4-6 figures are in Lannister crimson, with the remainder made up from quotas from the major houses, Brax, Prester, Crakehall, Clegane, Lefford, Swyft. This will give me the visual variety, and a sense that a portion of the notional levy of 4-6 missile troops from the major houses will be composed of at least 1 crossbowman. In future scenarios where Lannisters are not present, a viable 12 man crossbow unit can still be generated by combining lesser houses.   

I've been thinking that the 'Bidowers' category is an excellent opportunity to model crannogmen and am thinking of getting creative and sculpting ghillie suits with tufts of foliage etc. The main poser at the moment is what figures to use as the basis for these... ideally bow armed but in a variety of unarmoured crouching and furtive poses for sniping. My first thoughts were the LoTR rangers, but they are too well dressed/equipped for simple folk if you understand what I mean.
Using a Fireforge cloak also seems somewhat wasteful when I have other uses for these for characters etc. Any ideas gratefully received...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #260 on: February 22, 2016, 10:50:32 AM »
a propos of my crannogmen idea I've just taken advantage of the Black Tree Design sale and purchased some saxon unarmoured archers which I think will make a good foundation upon which to model them. Any surplus figures will go towards my Wildlings requiring very little additional work.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #261 on: February 22, 2016, 05:45:35 PM »
I was going to say possibly look at the Claymore Castings Irish/Welsh/Islemen skirmishers for Bidowers, but BTD are a nice idea as well.  :)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #262 on: February 23, 2016, 08:17:30 AM »
Hupp n at em
They have some lovely figures, granted - too lovely to muck about with.  :-* I'd use them as is and may seriously indulge for some Wildlings. I couldn't turn down the BTD sculpts though, not at a tad over 1 GBP a figure in the recent sale :)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #263 on: February 26, 2016, 03:06:16 PM »
The Riverlands retinue is coming along nicely. Now Piper and Blackwood are joining Paege, Bracken, Mallister and Tully. Despite me originally planning only liveried costume for a select few, having only 8 to 10 figures per House to worry about is not proving two onerous a task. Once mixed together in the requisite 12 man units for Lion Rampant, they will look suitably random and colourful. I must remember to never mix Bracken and Blackwood in the same unit though!  ;).

I've yet to make flags for Paege and Blackwood and Bracken and have to build a foot Captain for Piper to make up the numbers. It'll be time to crack open the Fireforge foot and get glueing.

House Vance has been dropped from the roster since I have decided to only include houses where the sigils/banners are explicitly mentioned in the books. Despite being a major player in the War of the Five Kings, neither sigil of the two cadet branches of House Vance is actually mentioned in the books.

I may adopt the practice of making the main House banner larger or of a slightly different shape than the others which will require a reworking of the Tully banner. Having seen the excellent work of others I'm also considering adding a House pennon on at least one of the two pikemen. Once they are combined they should look the part.

The Black Tree Design saxon archers have arrived so I'll be able to play around with green stuff and make ghillie suits for my crannogmen 'bidowers'. I'm also considering adding camouflaged openwork wicker 'shields' to use as impromptu cover/ hunting blinds for them to crouch behind. Since they are all shaggy and clothed the remainder will be added to my Wildling roster after the addition of some cowls capes cloaks and furs.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #264 on: March 02, 2016, 08:52:35 AM »
A basic w.i.p. of the Riverlands retinue as it nears completion. Still a long ways to go but I wanted to convey the overall look of the combination of Houses in the single retinue...
In order from Back left Blackwood, Paege and Piper, from Back Right Tully, Mallister and Bracken

And in provisional battle array...

2 units of 12 archers, 1 unit of foot serjeants armed with pike and 2 units of foot serjeants with 2hd/mixed weapons.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 02:09:42 PM by sukhe_bator »

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #265 on: March 02, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »
Looking good!

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #266 on: March 02, 2016, 01:17:50 PM »
Wow! I'm envious of the variety of houses represented in one retinue!  Particularly liking the banners for each house. Well done!!  :-* :-*

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #267 on: March 02, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »
I really like the idea of multiple houses per unit, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to do it for some reason...  ???

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #268 on: March 02, 2016, 10:59:39 PM »
Very striking force. They look great arrayed together. Thanks for sharing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #269 on: March 02, 2016, 11:45:37 PM »
Great stuff. Glad to see you back at it  :)