Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:43:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm  (Read 100113 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm
« Reply #300 on: April 13, 2016, 10:12:04 AM »
Very nice (and bonus kudos for considering practicalities of storage!)  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #301 on: April 15, 2016, 09:50:21 AM »
that is a nice mill you are building there
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #302 on: April 15, 2016, 10:56:07 AM »
Gosh that looks good already  :)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #303 on: July 14, 2016, 08:55:39 AM »
After a LONG, long absence I've finally got back into GOT. Thanks to Vermis and a healthy recruitment drive of batch painting Uruk Hai for my LOTR army.
Currently on the workbench are 9 x 8 groups of Westerlands foot, 3/4 completed. Each contingent is composed of a captain, a standard bearer, 2 bill, 2 pike and 2 missile (either crossbow or archer) viz; 2 x 8 Lannister, 1 x 8 Bettley, Clegane, Crakehall, Prester, Marbrand and Brax. Once I've decided on my own semi-canon take on the sigil for House Swyft (having singularly failed to come up with any reference in the books for a blue chicken - only yellow) I plan to raise another House.
I've also taken the plunge and am currently retasking some of my old 5th Ed. Bretonnian knights (mainly for their crested tourney helms) to represent Brax, Prester and Lannister. I'm planning to remodel a bull's head crest into a hound's to represent Clegane, and sculpt a boar's head from scratch in green stufff for Crakehall...
Lack of a digital camera is a real pain in the aristotle...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #304 on: July 15, 2016, 07:06:52 AM »
sounds good and quite a lot of work

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #305 on: July 15, 2016, 11:08:09 AM »
Good luck  8)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #306 on: July 18, 2016, 10:10:54 AM »
Found an old 4th Ed. Bretonnian knight at the weekend to add to my first unit of mounted knights/MAA. This will represent Cleos Frey who was captured at the Battle of the Whispering Wood. I figure the barded horse, kettle hat and quartered shield with embossed lions will display the quartered Frey and Lannister heraldry rather well.

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #307 on: September 05, 2016, 11:31:55 PM »
After a LONG, long absence I've finally got back into GOT. Thanks to Vermis and a healthy recruitment drive of batch painting Uruk Hai for my LOTR army.
Currently on the workbench are 9 x 8 groups of Westerlands foot, 3/4 completed. Each contingent is composed of a captain, a standard bearer, 2 bill, 2 pike and 2 missile (either crossbow or archer) viz; 2 x 8 Lannister, 1 x 8 Bettley, Clegane, Crakehall, Prester, Marbrand and Brax. Once I've decided on my own semi-canon take on the sigil for House Swyft (having singularly failed to come up with any reference in the books for a blue chicken - only yellow) I plan to raise another House.
I've also taken the plunge and am currently retasking some of my old 5th Ed. Bretonnian knights (mainly for their crested tourney helms) to represent Brax, Prester and Lannister. I'm planning to remodel a bull's head crest into a hound's to represent Clegane, and sculpt a boar's head from scratch in green stufff for Crakehall...
Lack of a digital camera is a real pain in the aristotle...

Hey, Sukhe! I'm resurfacing after a long-summer hiatus.  I'll post some pics if you will!
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #308 on: September 06, 2016, 09:19:36 AM »
I have spent the summer break organising, building, basing and undercoating the equivalent of a pack of Perry WOTR light cavalry, basing all the cavalry I will be painting up (eventually) and packs of HYW English and French Infantry. I've also made a hesitant start on a few simple foot conversions using Gripping Beast Dark age warriors with HYW heads and weapons.
The HYW foot are making a Crownlands contingent to refight the Battle At Duskendale in the War of The Five Kings. This is where 1/3 of the Northern host led by Helman Tallhart and Robett Glover were sent to their almost certain destruction by Roose Bolton. Brienne sees the aftermath and debris of the fighting in her visit to Maidenpool, making it an interesting sideshow with different sigils to model.
After a little light R&D, I've opted to raise 10 men contingents of Rosby, Mooton and Darklyn. The other 3 units will be Tarly and 2 other Reach houses. With Rosby rolling off the production line I have to say that the HYW figures are lovely sculpts... :-*
The Lannister contingents I've already done will feature as allies.

This also forces me to revisit my Northern host which I haven't looked at since I first started raising GOT forces and unintentionally let in some non-canon features in my initial enthusiasm. I will be editing my Hornwood, Tallhart and Glover contingents. The purists amongst you will note some sigil gaffs that need correcting :-[

After some more reading I've decided to completely redo the Karstarks, using Fireforge Men at Arms to achive the cloaked, extensively mailed, shaggy long shielded spear-wielding look described in the books.
“the Karstarks came in on a cold windy morning, bringing 300 horsemen and near 2000 foot from their castle at Karhold.””the steel points of their pikes”, “pounding out a slow deep-throated marching rhythm on a drum that was bigger than he was”, ”They were big men and fierce, faces covered with thick beards, hair worn loose past the shoulders. Their cloaks were made of skins, the pelts of bear and seal and wolf“beneath night-black banners emblazoned with the white sunburst of their house.”.” (GOT, p.549)
“a long column of armoured lancers were crossing ‘Karstark men. They wore black iron half helms and black woollen cloaks patterned with the white sunburst” (GOT, p.552)
“a crescent of enemy spearmen had formed ahead, a double hedgehog bristling with steel, waiting behind tall oaken shields marked with the sunburst of Karstark”,”a barbed spearhead” (GOT, p.663)
“he was tall and spare wearing a long chainmail hauberk and gauntlets of lobstered steel… had lost his helm” (GOT, p.665)

I plan to retask my old Karstarks and spare figures into a Cerwyn contingent.  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 02:08:16 PM by sukhe_bator »

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #309 on: September 06, 2016, 12:48:49 PM »
I should of course be referring to House Rykker and NOT House Darklyn

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #310 on: September 06, 2016, 02:21:00 PM »
Well, that was quick, Neil!  :) You HAVE been busy.

Guess I need to put up or shut up.  ;D

I'll find a way to do so tonight.  Starting off a short work week this morning. Long weekend unfortunately means cramming the same amount of work into 4 days... <sigh>

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #311 on: September 06, 2016, 05:31:06 PM »
After a little light R&D, I've opted to raise 10 men contingents of Rosby, Mooton and Darklyn. The other 3 units will be Tarly and 2 other Reach houses. With Rosby rolling off the production line I have to say that the HYW figures are lovely sculpts... :-*

Mooton is a Riverlands house, not Crownlands.
I was always curious as to why they never seemed to do anything in the war, at least they are never mentioned among the Riverlords that fight for Robb and Edmure. The wiki says they 'sent men off to fight', but that's the wiki... Maidenpool was sacked, presumably by Lannister troops, and Lord Mooton hid inside his castle, which gives him a bit of a bad rep, especially with Brienne.
It's never made clear I guess, but I think he did side with the Starks and Tullys (the latter being his liege lord of course). But it could be that he just stayed out of it all....  and Maidenpool was later got taken by Randyll Tarly. Mooton was pardoned and bent the knee, and his son is now to marry Tarly's daughter.

I'm actually painting up lots of Mooton troops for my own project, set in Robert's Rebellion! In this war they did stay loyal to the crown / the Targaryens, so went against Hoster Tully and were apparently defeated by him in battle. They have one of the better house sigils in the books, in my opinion - red salmon on white looks pretty good.

Interested to see what you come up with anyway!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #312 on: September 06, 2016, 07:03:25 PM »
Bravo. Very nice work.
(We must try and organise a game some time. I remain convinced that I live somewhere quite near you! ;))

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #313 on: September 07, 2016, 09:12:07 AM »
Alas, Charlie, you are indeed correct. I should rule Mooton out of the equation. Red fish down :(
as Hugo Weaving so eloquently puts it as Elrond 'the list of our allies grows...THIN'
That leaves House Stokeworth for which I cannot (as yet) find any supporting canon refs for the sigil of the seated lamb and chalice mentioned in the Wiki. (though it would look rather good).

Ideally a Battle composed of contingents from 3 houses neatly fits into the Dragon/Lion Rampant organisation combining to make a unit of 12 spear, a unit of 12 with bills/hand wpns and 12 Missile troops with 6 an additional unit of 6 Bidowers or maybe MAA at 16pts in total.

That leaves 6 potential sigils to use to represent the balance of the army made up of Tarly's forces from the Reach, none of which are fully described with the exception of Hunt "white a brown deer, dead and bound and slung beneath a pole" - a positive nightmare to render as a device in 25mm!), Tarly (striding huntsman), Ambrose (ants), Fossoway (red or green apples) and a speculative Leygood (3 thunderbolts).... My job won't be particularly easy ::)

Cpn, I do believe we may be practically neighbours... I can probably see your home fires burning from my encampment on the windswept steppes of CR2 ;)

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #314 on: September 07, 2016, 02:51:29 PM »
I may be wrong, but i believe it's somewhere noted the Tarly colour is green. Maybe it's noted when Sam arrives at the wall or something.
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)