Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:27:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690899
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm  (Read 100109 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm
« Reply #360 on: February 06, 2017, 02:09:34 PM »
When you look at list of ourworld heraldic charges it seems like pretty much anything goes...

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #361 on: February 06, 2017, 04:20:35 PM »
Thanks for the heraldry R&D by the way sukhe bator, I will be assembling some cavalry for my Starks force soon, and I want to have at least a few knights from sworn houses.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #362 on: February 06, 2017, 06:45:19 PM »

Yes, we are all used to the same old boring heraldry, lions, fleur-de-lys, etc.... And some of the heraldry GRRM describes does raise eyebrows at times. So then it's good to see there are all sorts of bizarre and creative ones in the real world too. Wasn't there a Swiss banner which depicted an 'idiot' and a sow??

So I think any bizarre or strange-sounding sigils can be made to look good and authentic.

Though I still wish GRRM wouldn't have so many of his house sigils on BROWN fields.....

By the way sukhe_bator, have you seen my new thread of my ASOIAF project? Perhaps it's not good etiquette to advertise my own thread in someone else's, but I know you will be interested. I'm posting my finished Riverlands units as they get photographed, so far I have Tully, Mooton and Vance up - on my new blog too. http://theriverlandsatwar.blogspot.com

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #363 on: February 07, 2017, 10:06:18 AM »
Lord Odo and Hammers - keep them coming. I keep forgetting Moose/Elk are also found on the other side of the 'pond'. It is always refreshing to get a European perspective. In the UK we don't get much exposure to medieval European heraldry from further afield than the familiar HYW involvement in France, Burgundy and with the Swiss, which is one of the reasons I love this forum. I recall seeing a fantastic HYW diorama by two Belgian? wargamers, which was resplendent with all manner of unfamiliar heraldry. I was too shy at the time to engage them in conversation otherwise I'm sure I'd have learned a great deal. I was also intrigued by Polish and Hungarian heraldry for a time, especially the use of ciphers. There is a rich seam of source material out there if you know where to look and the internet has been transformational in many respects.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #364 on: February 20, 2017, 01:29:41 PM »
Some w.i.p. images (about 3/4 finished) of my Crownlands and Reach houses for a rematch of the Battle of Duskendale... I don't have much time or facilities to take anything but quick record shots and I'm still grappling with the settings on my camera I'm afraid :-[
First up for the Crownlands - House Rosby, now 12 men strong

House Rykker

and House Stokeworth

and from the Reach, the triple lightning bolts of House Leygood

and how do you like them apples, the senior branch of House Fossoway

and the greener cadet branch

The captains are metals HYW figs from Black Tree Design, and who'd have thought the heater shields fell off just as I'm out of superglue!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 02:05:02 PM by sukhe_bator »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #365 on: February 20, 2017, 01:37:12 PM »
Love the selection of houses. I mean, Stokeworth, awesome! :D

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #366 on: February 20, 2017, 02:29:08 PM »
 :-* :-*
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #367 on: February 20, 2017, 06:37:32 PM »
They look fantastic! What's next for you?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #368 on: February 20, 2017, 08:02:28 PM »
More splendid additions. How big is the GoT collection now?

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #369 on: February 20, 2017, 11:54:23 PM »
Nice work!

The flags flow really nicely.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #370 on: February 21, 2017, 09:08:03 AM »
Thanks guys - as I said only 3/4 completed and not under the best of lighting conditions...
Nice work! The flags flow really nicely.
I've found that since I moved to acrylics, the paper flags have been turning out better. I guess its the slight plasticising effect the acrylic has that I'm able to scrunch them up and open them out into folds that look more like they are flowing naturally.
More splendid additions. How big is the GoT collection now?
A very good question Captain... a tad under 500 I reckon
Crownlands (36 figs)
Rosby, Rykker and Stokeworth
Reach (36 figs)
Leygood, Fossoway#1, Fossoway#2
Riverlands (72 figs)
Tully, Frey, Piper, Bracken, Mallister, Blackwood
Westerlands(96 figs - but at present at about 50%)
Lannister x2, Clegane, Brax, Crakehall, Marbrand, Lefford and Swyft
The North (108 figs - but at present at approx 60%)
Stark, Karstark, Bolton, Tallhart, Umber, Glover, Ryswell, Cerwyn, Hornwood
and I am planning a lesser house composed of skirmishing archers and a 6 man unit of House Dustin, Slate and Stour.
Ironborn(30 figs to date)
The Wall and Beyond
About 24 wildlings, a dozen Nights Watch, a Giant, a mammoth, Varymr Sixskins on a bear, 30 wights and 6 Others
Essos
20 Unsullied and 6 Astapori archers
w
They look fantastic! What's next for you?
I was late to acquire Fireforge feudals, so there has been something of a seismic shift in my allocation of models to various regions. After the success of my Karstarks I'm planning to use the majority to bolster the strength of the Northern houses and many of the more southern looking WOTR troops have migrated to bolster the numbers of the Riverlands and Westerlands houses.
I've also been slowly acquiring and retasking cavalry and experimenting with different combinations. Wanting to preserve as many Perry unbarded horses as possible I've had success adding Perry horse armour to LOTR rohirrim horses with Perry and Fireforge heads. I've started painting up some GW Bretonnian 5th ed. knights as Westerlands leaders and am experimenting with Perry/LotR/GW and Battlemasters mashups. Perry light cavalry and Fireforge mounted sergeants will provide the bulk of the cavalry with more armoured Perry MAA as leaders. And of course I have 6 Celtic Dothraki sculpts to complete as well as my take on Vargo Hoat and several LOTR/Perry riders to assign to Northern houses.
I think there's plenty to keep me busy for quite some time. D :o lol

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #371 on: February 25, 2017, 12:02:22 AM »
Holy Guacamole!

I fall off the hobby wagon for a half year and look at what you accomplish, Sukhe!!  :o :o :o

PRODIGIOUS

At this point, I bow to the wisdom of your approach in creating unit-sized groups for each minor house grouped under 1-2 elite units for the major houses.

With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #372 on: February 25, 2017, 12:04:30 AM »
By the way sukhe_bator, have you seen my new thread of my ASOIAF project? Perhaps it's not good etiquette to advertise my own thread in someone else's, but I know you will be interested. I'm posting my finished Riverlands units as they get photographed, so far I have Tully, Mooton and Vance up - on my new blog too. http://theriverlandsatwar.blogspot.com

Added your blog link to the GoT honor roll sticky...

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #373 on: March 06, 2017, 09:31:10 AM »
Part of my New Year's Resolution was to look at the cavalry element of my armies. Up until recently I was having trouble reconciling a 6 figure unit and selecting appropriate figures and components and allocating them to particular Houses.
Having had some success resurrecting crippled LOTR Rohirrim horses using a pinvice and bent paperclips. I've even added Perry WOTR armour components and Fireforge horse heads. This keeps more WOTR horses free to represent light cavalry models. Fireforge horses can also take converted Rohirrim riders who will form part of mounted contingents from the North.
I switched attentions to GW 5th Ed. Bretonnians to represent the more ornately helmed Westerlands knights.
I've also had some success supercharging some old Battlemasters cavalry using 5th and 6th Ed. parts, and with a few minor Perry embellishments these will represents knights of the Vale.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #374 on: March 06, 2017, 01:14:03 PM »
Curious to see the results of that!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)