Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:17:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690581
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm  (Read 99990 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm
« Reply #480 on: August 13, 2019, 06:47:04 PM »
Well that is mighty impressive. I like your interpretation of the Golden Company too. Much better than the somewhat overly fantasy stylee offering from HBO.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #481 on: August 14, 2019, 07:54:41 AM »
This thread delivers! Years of epic work documented for the benefit of us readers. Absolutely love your vision as well as the skillful execution. I am a big fan of kitbashing and conversions, and you have given me so brilliant ideas. Thank you! Deep respect!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #482 on: September 05, 2019, 04:50:30 PM »
Golden Company Oliphaunt #2 is currently under construction with articulated plate armour inspired by the Royal Armouries example in Leeds.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #483 on: September 16, 2019, 10:33:04 AM »
Spent an enjoyable Sunday morning rummage at Skirmish at Sidcup. I came away with 40 halberdiers, 6 Rohirrim, 4 Uruk-Hai pike, 3 Dwarvish warriors, 2 cave trolls and a woolly mammoth. The halberdiers turned out to be an assortment of enjoyable vintage metal HYW and WOTR billmen of various manufacturers that will blend nicely with my Perry plastics. They were a chance spot on the bring-and-buy stand (thank you whoever put them forward I will give them a very good home). The more war-weary looking sculpts will do nicely as a unit of Golden Company bad-asses, while some less well armoured will do well as Northerners, and the additional troops will go towards raising a contingent for the Reach. The Rohirrim will do well for either Middle Earth or Westerosi, the dwarves will complete my Khuzdul contingent, the 4 Uruk-Hai pike going towards my Orthanc war-machine, while the Cave Trolls will be converted into siege personnel to haul and operate my Mordor siege machines. The mammoth will join my Papo mammoth as part of the contingent of Free folk. There's probably in excess of 100 hours work ahead of me... :D ;D :D

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #484 on: April 03, 2020, 12:03:13 PM »
After a long hiatus I kick-started this project with the recent increase in downtime. Currently revisiting my collections reassigning appropriate figures to specific houses/regions incorporating some of my recent acquisitions.
On the books now;
Golden Company - completing sculpting and constructing the howdah for a 2nd War elephant and 6 crew, 6 native/summer islanders archers and a couple of mounted personalities/leaders.
2 x 6 Dornish cavalry.
Gold Cloaks - completing these LoTR Gondorian/Perry conversions to my satisfaction
Reorganise infantry to complete 6 x 12 contingents from the Reach including Tyrell, Tarly, Rowan, Crane, Oakheart and probably Florent.
Complete 12 x 12 Riverlands contingents to include crossbowmen.
Complete 12 x 12 Westerlands contingents to include some main houses.
I have a considerable legacy of cavalry to get off the ground. There's certainly plenty to keep me occupied over the next few weeks...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #485 on: April 03, 2020, 01:20:34 PM »
Hurrah!

Get to it ;)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #486 on: April 03, 2020, 06:49:44 PM »
Gold Cloaks - completing these LoTR Gondorian/Perry conversions to my satisfaction

Ha, nice! I had just started a block of Gold Cloaks too while in lockdown! Looking forward to seeing your interpretation too!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #487 on: April 03, 2020, 07:43:59 PM »
That is a hell of a list - can’t wait to see every last piece

:)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #488 on: April 24, 2020, 12:53:48 PM »
I have spent several days being a butterfly, reorganising my forces and assigning the final figures and banners to 12 houses in the Reach (trying to pin down geographically the houses closest to the border with the Westerlands) and 12 for the Riverlands and finally getting round to painting the remaining banners for the Northern houses Locke, Stout, Mormont, Cerwyn, Flint and Manderly.

I have now settled down to working on and completing the Gold Cloaks. I've built/converted the last 5 figures so I can field 3 units of 12 for LR/DR use, 1 unit of archers and 2 of men at arms plus a mounted officer.

The lack of substantive canon detail on all of the main Houses is frustrating. Some of my previous House choices based on sigils mentioned have proved to be unfortunate and I have inadvertently represented some minor houses. My ultimate plan is to field 12 major Houses per main faction for the North, Riverlands, Westerlands and the Reach, with a 'flying column' for the Vale and a composite Dornish/Gold Company/Targaryen invasion force. A representative body from the Crownlands will enable me to recreate the Duskendale alliance vs The North.

However I have had difficulty with a few houses. Either the sigils have no direct source material in the ASOIAF books to go on, or the houses for which sigils DO exist do not have a specified seat/locality. Wherever possible I have stuck to the spirit of the books and I usually have a minor House or two per faction with no specified seat which for campaign purposes I can assign to hold a strategic location.

There are only a handful of Crownlands houses with sigils - Rosby, Rykker & Stokeworth, so I am adding the Gold Cloaks to the mix for the defence of Kings Landing and to cover the immediate vicinity North of the capital. This will give me a decent force of 6 units of infantry and 2 of cavalry.

I do not plan to field any Stormlands. That would be a step too far, even for me!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #489 on: April 24, 2020, 01:24:04 PM »
Sounds extremely well thought out - look forward to photos in due course

:)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #490 on: April 24, 2020, 07:15:59 PM »
Oh wow! Sounds like a huge undertaking even without the Stormlands!

Though, in A Clash of Kings, aren't houses Rosby and Stokeworth the only houses that contribute any kind of force to King's Landing from the Crownlands anyway? You could potentially get away with some people under a Blount or Hayford banner, or maybe even a Staunton, but I don't think they ever really get described as having any kind of military presence.

(I hadn't realised before just how high of a proportion of the Crownlands houses end up with King Stannis by the time ADWD rolls around! That probably makes it a bit of a pain to plan around!)

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #491 on: April 25, 2020, 03:27:09 AM »
I do not plan to field any Stormlands. That would be a step too far, even for me!

Come on now, Sukhe. This is not a project on which to go wobbly! Show us some Stormlands AND Dorne.

Like Pokemon, you gotta catch 'em all.

;D
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #492 on: April 25, 2020, 06:59:05 PM »
Nah, I can't justify Stormlands AND Dorne as well. I already have a contingent of smallfolk, a war party of ironborn, plus Night's Watch, Freefolk including 2 mammoths, some giant spiders, a pack of wolves and a Bolton warhound pack on the back burner as well as all the world building... That alone will see me into the next decade, let alone a lockdown! :D

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #493 on: April 25, 2020, 08:25:08 PM »
Just some playful goading to extend your cool work.  ;)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #494 on: April 25, 2020, 09:24:03 PM »
Just some playful goading to extend your cool work.  ;)

Amen to that  8)