Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:29:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm  (Read 99557 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm
« Reply #510 on: May 22, 2020, 01:53:37 PM »
Puts my 700 infantry and 60 cavalry to shame...that’s good thing about LAF, there is always a bigger megalomaniac out there

lol lol lol

That’s an impressive array of minor house sigils SB  :-*

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #511 on: May 22, 2020, 04:27:19 PM »
Ah good Captain, good to hear from you... I've been working on Riverlands sigils this afternoon for my 24 mounted knights and men at arms- 23 different sigils alone, with some inevitably semi-canon :D. The aim is to be able to combine reps of houses based on their geography, thus Mallister, Frey, Haigh, Charlton, Erenford and Vypren can create a conroy for the Northern Marches of the Riverlands... I have tried to remain true to canon sources for the 12 major houses, but there are some major omissions  ::)
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #512 on: May 22, 2020, 06:07:25 PM »
A fellow addict! ;D. It kinda snuck up on me as I have the factions all squirreled away in tins and I've never had the entire extent out at the same time... The idea was to have a breadth of forces to play different scenarios but mushroomed into a sigil-collecting quasi-campaign... The only unifying feature of them is the extent of their incompleteness. lol

I’d love to say that I had a plan at the outset, but if there was one it seems to have morphed into trying to replicate the whole of bloody Westeros, and possibly a sizeable chunk of Essos as well. I also don’t have the excuse of not knowing what is there, as the project has taken over my glass fronted cabinets....I might as well have Septa Unella stood there with a bell...”Shame.....shame.....shame.....”

lol

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #513 on: May 23, 2020, 08:10:25 AM »
it seems to have morphed into trying to replicate the whole of bloody Westeros, and possibly a sizeable chunk of Essos as well. lol
lol lol lol
Amen to that - There's just so much to represent - and don't even get me started on the scenery... or the weirwood trees, or the mammoths... let alone the dragons... Once I get heffalump #2 completed for my Golden Company I will be happier... ;) ;D ;D

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #514 on: May 27, 2020, 05:27:10 PM »
24 mounted knights and Men At Arms from the Riverlands houses - sigils and liveries all mapped out on the workbench and turning out to be a colourful bunch... now I just have to get down to finishing them all off...
Rear row from L to R; House Darry (the ploughman is still to be done), Ser Desmond Grell, Tully mounted crossbowman, Vypren, Roote and Goodbrook
Next row; Frey, Mooton, Smallwood, Paege, Vance of Atranta and Lychester
Second row; Bracken, Vance of Wayfarer's Rest, Mallister, Lothston/Whent, Wode and Ryger
Front Row; Blackwood, Piper, Tully, Erenford, Haigh and Charlton

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #515 on: May 27, 2020, 05:45:47 PM »
Stunning..... 8)

I love the variety, not to mention your productivity

What are your thoughts on fielding units...are you going to form the various knights into a mounted band, with their respective retainers (presumably in larger numbers) fielded as separate units?

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #516 on: May 27, 2020, 06:05:32 PM »
I'm planning a campaign with contingents from 12 major houses in control of each region. Each major house has 12 infantry and a mounted figure and 12 other mounted figures representing the lesser houses. The idea is each region's forces can operate as small skirmish forces or combine into 4 district commands roughly equating to a 24pt LR/DR retinue roughly following the ASOIAF narrative. Thus Vance, Piper and Smallwood will naturally combine to repel an invasion from the Westerlands. Thus a 6 figure mounted retinue from the Northern March of the Riverlands will comprise Mallister, Frey, Haigh, Erenford, Charlton and Vypren based on the assumed positions of the houses in the Game of Thrones map but taking geographical clues etc from the interactive map.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #517 on: May 28, 2020, 10:50:16 AM »
I may have asked this before but how do you Westerosi gamers out there determine who gets pitted against who?
Is it just your favourite Houses pitted against one another?
A particular battle or campaign?
or do you like me have a campaign mechanism in mind you use to create a narrative?
I've taken my cues for a home grown campaign from a half remembered Avalon Hill board game I used to have called 'Samurai' https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/63/samurai-game-politics-and-warfare-feudal-japan-12t
Each player controls a clan with one or more lords. Each lord has a province representing his personal "fief" or home, and often has additional holdings of troops, titles, ships, castles, and more provinces. The game is played in 20 turns, each representing a pace of historical events running between a few months to a few years. In each turn, moves are conducted on a mapboard that portrays the three major islands of Japan with provinces as stepping stones. The playing pieces-360 in all-include Samurai Lords, clan control markers, holdings and title counters, troops, garrisons etc. I plan to simplify this down and transpose it onto a map of Westeros to create a narrative suitable to generate solo scenarios I can play out. This is a new prospect for me because I am principally a person who likes to collect and paint and the gaming aspect is something I rarely get to do due to space and time considerations. Lion Rampant/Dragon Rampant offered me a lifeline to potentially play out smaller encounters in a fantasy setting more feasibly. My Middle Earth collections are primarily geared for mass battles...
I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has tried something similar...

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #518 on: May 28, 2020, 11:41:18 AM »
A later faction in my ongoing Westeros saga - in the books the Golden Company, with war elephants, make landfall in Westeros , adding another player to the mix vying for the Iron Throne. They lend their support to Jon Connington and Aegon Targaryen (not Jon Snow but a n other royal refugee whisked off to obscurity and safety only to reemerge down the line). I plan to add a few more sellswords, a few Golden Company mounted knights, a unit of summer islander 'snipers' and some Dornish allied cavalry and infantry.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #519 on: May 28, 2020, 11:46:34 AM »
My take on the Targaryen resurgence... Aegon in suitably dragon-themed full harness, Jon Connington and a Golden Company herald bearing the Targaryen banner flanked by 3 Golden company merc men at arms. Now I've allocated the heraldry I can concentrate on taking the cavalry to completion...

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #520 on: May 28, 2020, 12:16:09 PM »
I may have asked this before but how do you Westerosi gamers out there determine who gets pitted against who?

From a project perspective I started out just focusing on Stannis Baratheon's campaigning during the latter half of A Storm of Swords, A Dance With Dragons (and presumably continuing into The Winds of Winter)...but over time I've wanted to branch out a bit into A Clash of Kings (partly for an excuse to look into some Renly-aligned factions, or Lannister-adjacent folks)

From a gaming perspective, King Stannis isn't exactly a people person, so I figure there could be a "What if?" scenario where he gets into a fight with just about anyone else in Westeros!

Also great work on the Golden Company, and nicely done with our Mummer's Dragon!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #521 on: May 28, 2020, 02:05:06 PM »
Mum's the word! Martin has certainly tapped into the whole pretenders-to-the-throne-coming-out-of-the-woodwork vibe  ;)
You are only a rebel and wrong - unless that is, you win!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #522 on: May 28, 2020, 02:58:27 PM »
or do you like me have a campaign mechanism in mind you use to create a narrative?

A campaign system is on my to-do list, along with fastplay mass battle rules, but honestly I’m just building as many different forces as possible, as the mood takes me, to give me some different options.

My primarily aim was the Battle of the Bastards forces, but this quickly spiralled out of control into the War of the Five Kings, and now probably representing a chunk of Essos as well.

Lovely work on the Golden Company, particularly the Elephants  8)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #523 on: May 28, 2020, 06:13:28 PM »
My w.i.p. contingent from The Vale comprises a flying column of knights to assist The North or the Riverlands based on the premise for the Battle of the Bastards. I foresee a time when these uncommitted forces will enter the fray...
A ma s-up of Battlemasters, Perry and Bretonnians based on the sigils of the knights declarant and those seen by Tyrion at the Eyrie.
Rear L to R; Royce, Hunter, Arryn and Hersy
Middle row; Hightower, Belmore, Templeton and Corbray
Front row; Lynderly, Waxley, Waynwood and Redfort

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #524 on: May 28, 2020, 06:17:19 PM »
The entire Vale contingent as it stands. Men at Arms, Billmen and Crossbowmen drawn from the various houses. Additional archers and skirmishers are drawn from a generic pool of woodsmen and hillmen...