Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:43:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm  (Read 100187 times)

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm
« Reply #165 on: May 20, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »
I love this project!

One minor point: I don't think Vargo's zorse is a zebra, I think it's a zorse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorse . These are typically the offspring of a male zebra and a female horse.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #166 on: May 20, 2013, 01:07:10 PM »
Yes, Doomhippie, as I am discovering the hard way, mold lines are tricky varmints to eradicate. Hence my 'warts-n-all' comment as I spotted more having just uploaded the images!  :-[
No doubt even more will show their ugly heads AFTER I've undercoated as well.
Thanks James - an excellent spot and BEFORE I started painting it! I always thought 'zorse' was simply a made up term by Martin, who'd have thought it. I shall research some suitable coat colour and maybe do it up more like a quagga... Will make an interesting painting scheme no doubt!
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #167 on: May 20, 2013, 01:34:57 PM »
Yes, Doomhippie, as I am discovering the hard way, mold lines are tricky varmints to eradicate. Hence my 'warts-n-all' comment as I spotted more having just uploaded the images!  :-[

How well do metal files work on plastic? I've only ever used them on metal. Love the additions and mods you've done with the minis. I can't wait to see them done up!

Jevenkah

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #168 on: May 20, 2013, 02:16:54 PM »
How well do metal files work on plastic? I've only ever used them on metal. Love the additions and mods you've done with the minis. I can't wait to see them done up!
Jevenkah,
In my experience metal files do work but leave a roughened finish that is difficult to clear. Far better to use a sharp blade, but then its a question of being able to get in at the appropriate angle.
As for seeing the figures when they're finished - you and me both!

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #169 on: May 20, 2013, 05:56:44 PM »

I feel with you. Didn't want to spoil your fun or anything. I know the more minaitures I'm working on, the more mold lines escape my notice. That's why I try not to paint more than five miniatures at the same time - and even then I discover them while painting...
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2013, 09:22:29 AM »
Doomhippie,
There is an upside to mold lines I have discovered recently. As I am adding green stuff to the figures, I tend to leave the mold lines till after I've finished. No point in scraping smooth any unnecessary areas I thought originally, but have also found that they do help key in the green stuff, so they are not all bad...
This is particularly important with my next project which I will post about shortly.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm (spoiler alert)
« Reply #171 on: June 04, 2013, 09:55:07 AM »
So sad to see that our friends Vargo Hoat and the Bloody Mummers do not get a feature in GOT s3, and the Fist of the First Men encounter and the Battle of Stony Mill only get scant mention - still that leaves the field open for us gamers eh?!

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2013, 02:02:09 PM »
I'd say most of the wars in the TV version leave it up to us gamers. Teshub and I are only 6 or 7 episodes in and I am sick to death of discussion of battles, then cut away, then come back and see the troops moving somewhere else. Give me swords clashing! I am not particularly fond of Martin's descriptions of single combat (I believe one of the best is RE Howard, and that's some tough fighting to challenge) but I did think some of the large scale battles were well done in the books. I like story and character development, but I want combat when it fits. I guess that's another reason we play: to do it right!  ;)

Jevenkah

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2013, 02:37:04 PM »
Amen to that.
They do the formations of the Unsullied well I thought. I do like the use of Indian style faceguards on the Unsullied though - so much so I am seriously considering ways of modelling them for my troops...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #174 on: June 04, 2013, 07:47:50 PM »
I think you might have to start putting whereabouts in the story you're posting from in the thread title as I just had a couple of little spoilers  lol

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2013, 10:59:23 AM »
ooopsie daisy jimbibbly - sorry about that! Having read all the books it is sometimes hard to keep track of what details are 'out there' atm and what hasn't yet been 'revealed'!

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2013, 12:39:38 PM »
I agree too. In the first season there are two battles at the end, but in the series you don't see them. Shame i thought  :(

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2013, 02:38:33 PM »
They made up for it in season 2 definitely towards the end, but for money reasons could not stage the battles they wanted in S1, and some of the things I was looking forward to seeing from A Storm of Swords seem not to have made the cut in season 3 presumably for the same reasons...

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2013, 03:14:24 PM »
Blackwater was an epic disappointment from a battle point of view. So much more was made of it in the books! Enjoyed the Wedding though  lol

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2013, 07:07:21 PM »
:-* :-* FREE of Spoilers :-* :-*

How are the figures coming along?

I was curious, do you convert whatever is up on the board first and then paint, or do them in units? You have such great work on each piece's detail. I'm interested in how you do larger quantities from start to finish.

Thanks!
Jevenkah