Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:35:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Want to mod cinematic effects  (Read 1576 times)

Offline mindfad

• Bookworm
Want to mod cinematic effects
« on: September 20, 2012, 10:01:08 AM »
After seeing some of the stuff from armorcast, Id love to work on modelling some effects. I personally think the game value isnt really worth the cost of the pieces and the shapes are relatively simple in nature.

Havent really sculpted anything, anyone have any tips or advice on what materials to use?

Also if i was able to produce something worthwhile, Any tips on how to make a molds and cast it.

a sidenote on this, being reading some kickstarter mini FAQ. I know people make models of there own stuff and the stuff looks decent, so i guess im alitte confused why people have randomly referenced anything you make 2 sided mold using things like friendly plastic or insta-mold will not look like the original. only seen this references in passing so not sure how valid they are.

If they dont look like the original, about how much detail is lost, like 10%? For simple shapes like the cinematic effects from armorcast i would if i was able to replicate them in some form, would cast fairly easily. not sure though. LOL why cant 3d printers be cost effective and cheap now. would be a problem...

thanks for any help

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Want to mod cinematic effects
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 10:29:04 AM »
I agree that the game value isnt really worth prices Armorcast charges. In fact I don't think the game value of individual muzzle flashes is worth the effort at all, but that's my opinion. But sculpting and casting these things yourself is hardly going to be cheaper.  You have to make an investment in silicon, resin and tools, and those don't come free.

Some blasts, like flame throwers and big gun blasts I have seen sculpted with the clump foliage technique to a very good effect. It basically involves glueing woodland scenic foliage foam to a length of piano wire, spray it black and paint it in fiery colours. Done right, it can look very good.

Offline mindfad

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 10:35:11 AM »
See im kinda new to the idea even and i thought in terms of learning how to sculpt and paint, it would be a good project to begin with, including casting and molding because the shape is ultimately so simple. Trying to heavily mod a guy or building something more difficult in my opinion would be a bad start for me.

Since im not really sure, what typically would be the costs roughly, like i said besides reading others forum posts and thinking man id like to do that. I havent delved too deeply into the matter

Offline mindfad

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 10:36:14 AM »
also do u have any links to that modding technique you described?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 10:40:33 AM »
See im kinda new to the idea even and i thought in terms of learning how to sculpt and paint, it would be a good project to begin with, including casting and molding because the shape is ultimately so simple. Trying to heavily mod a guy or building something more difficult in my opinion would be a bad start for me.

Since im not really sure, what typically would be the costs roughly, like i said besides reading others forum posts and thinking man id like to do that. I havent delved too deeply into the matter

Casting in resin or low temp white metals is a very rewarding part of the hobby so if you are into it, go ahead.

Masters you can sculpt with ordinary green stuff. It will hold up nicely to the mould.

If you are going to try it, but buy as small a quantity you can to experiment with. Alumlite is a good American company for these things. Be sure not to by some low quality shit just because it is the cheap. You'll just get frustrated with breaking undercuts etc.

Use RTV silicon rubber with tough stretchability for the mould. Silicon is better than other stuff, like latex.

Use a polyurethane resin, there are several 2-part brands which mix 50/50 which makes them very easy to use. It can be quite fiddly to work with the types which prompts a 98% resin/2% hardener when you are mixing small batches. Fucking that up and you get something too brittle or just a gooey mess which wont set.

You need to work out a method to reduce air bubbles in the resin. Ideally you'd use a pressure or vacuum chamber for this but that's a bit of an investment. try instead good mould making techniques and pouring methods.

1 kg 0f resin, 1/2 kg silicon and some release agent will set you back, I don't know, €60?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:11:13 AM by Hammers »