Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:08:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689592
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Starting a Pirates game - advice needed  (Read 5247 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Starting a Pirates game - advice needed
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 07:02:13 AM »

Black cat do a multi pose pack of 3 with additional weapons for £6 which could be really handy for LOTHS, does anyone have any of these? Do they mix with Foundry?

They are slightly bigger and chunkier than Foundry, but not as oversized as Black Scorpion.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 07:08:34 AM »
I would go Foundry in a heart beat as well. Black Scorpion have nice minis but they are too large and a little static in pose for me.

Eureka do both some some Turkish and Caribbean types, but personally I don't like their Caribbean ones -  a little too thin.

You can see some of my own Barbary pirates here http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=6667.0
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Happymcclap

• Librarian
    • my blog
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 08:49:37 AM »
They are slightly bigger and chunkier than Foundry, but not as oversized as Black Scorpion.

Thanks, my crews will be a mix of Foundry, Artizan, Crusader, Dixon & Black Cat, as i dont mind slight differences in sculpt size, i'll be ordering the Black Cat multi pose pack ASAP so will post the contents for those who are interested.

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 10:14:59 PM »
There's also Freebooter Miniatures for 28mm.  Range is quite small, but they are gorgeous minis and there are more on the way.

Offline cianty

• Scientist
    • cianty's Tabletop Wargames Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 04:35:22 PM »

Offline Happymcclap

• Librarian
    • my blog
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 09:04:03 AM »
Thanks Cianty, thats really helpful though i now want the Hasslefree Pirate Captain!

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 10:22:59 AM »
That's a great blog. I have about 50 foundry pirates i got really cheap from Col Bill. What is good for Royal Marines?

Offline cianty

• Scientist
    • cianty's Tabletop Wargames Blog
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 05:25:56 PM »
Good to hear that you find it useful. Hasslefree recently rediscovered some "lost" copies of the limited resin versions of their Tom Meier pirate - great opportunity to get one/some. :)

I never bothered making Royal Navy lists because most manufacturers who have the 'bad guys' (pirates) also have the 'good guys' (royal navy). I really like the Black Scorpion models. Of note are Black Cat Bases' Navies because of their distinct (earlier period?) look.

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 07:45:35 PM »
Good to hear that you find it useful. Hasslefree recently rediscovered some "lost" copies of the limited resin versions of their Tom Meier pirate - great opportunity to get one/some. :)

I never bothered making Royal Navy lists because most manufacturers who have the 'bad guys' (pirates) also have the 'good guys' (royal navy). I really like the Black Scorpion models. Of note are Black Cat Bases' Navies because of their distinct (earlier period?) look.

Honestly Cianty I have yet to see you do something that isn't useful..
Break out of your gaming shell! www.brokenegggames.com

"Yes, I am a ninja and no I won't show you my moves."

Offline Black Cat Bases

• Catwoman
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackcatbases.com
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »
Our figures are larger that Og, Foundry and Dixon, they firing more with Gw scale, have you thought about using Gw militia plastics? . Our Marines were designed to be accurate to the golden age of piracy, and I was shocked when I found out the tricorne wasn't used till much later by marines,Hollywood has much to answer for  ;D.
I hope that helps and if your unsure on size if you send me a pm I sure I can work out sending you a sample figure.
Ben

Offline Happymcclap

• Librarian
    • my blog
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 12:37:26 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, help and pointers, and Black Cat Bases very kind offer, all very useful indeed.

Ive started work on building a ship in line with the LOTHS rules, despite not having 1 Pirate figure, but whats a pirate game without a ship! Besides i noticed my sons discarded IgglePiggle boat, saw that it was primarily Balsa, and that it was roughly the right length and width and smuggled it into my gaming room, where it has lost its wheels and rudder and had various chunks of wood removed, with the addition of a little balsa and dowel i reckon i'll have decent looking ship for little expense.

Offline Happymcclap

• Librarian
    • my blog
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 05:58:01 PM »
I'd just like to say a big thank-you to Black Cat bases for sending me a sample figure of their Pirate range, its a great sculpt full of detail and just crying out to be painted, i'll definately be gettting many more of this range when i start my project properly in the new year, thanks again BCB!