Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:40:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pancho Villa and Friends  (Read 5381 times)

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
Pancho Villa and Friends
« on: September 22, 2012, 11:59:10 PM »
After a bit of a delay I'm back to working on my Mexican Revolution project.  And who better to start with than Pancho Villa himself?

In 1913, Victoriano Huerta staged a coup d'état and takes control of the Mexican Government and arranges to have President Francisco Madero killed.  Pancho Villa joins Venustiano Carranza and other rebel leaders to form the Constitutionalist army (the Constitutionalistas).  Pancho Villa is appointed commander of the Northern Division (Division del Norte).

Not a fancy look overall for our well known revolutionary, but at this period he was often seen wearing military khaki uniforms with no ranks or medals.  This particular miniature is from Gringo 40's.

Pancho Villa had 2 primary generals that he relied on to help run his Division del Norte:  Tomas Urbina and Rodolfo Fierro.  I'm still looking for a mini to use for Tomas Urbina, but I decided to use the "Julio Cardenas" from Gringo 40's for Fierro.

Rodolfo Fierro, the Butcher ("el carnicero"), was known as representing Pancho Villa's brutal side.  There are many stories you can read about the exploits of Fierro.  It is an easy assumption to say you never wanted to be on his bad side...

And finishing off my order of miniatures from Brigade Games, I have my last 4 Villistas finished.  They finish out my 2 units of 12 infantry (24 total).  After I finish a unit of cavalry, the rest of the Division del Norte will be filled up with a poorer army of Peons.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:55:23 AM by DFlynSqrl »

Offline 6sided

• Bookworm
  • Revolutionaryroads.com
    • Revolutionary Wargaming Roads
Re: Pancho Villa and Friends
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 08:04:31 PM »
Very good. What rules are you using?
GLORY - A new set of grand-tactical American Civil War Rules.

click for more info on Glory

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:21:34 AM »
Thanks.  Triumph & Tragedy.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 04:53:57 PM »
Thanks.  Triumph & Tragedy.

Great rules! And the painting is good too.  ;)
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
Great paint job :-* as it happens I was watching pancho Villa on the telly yesterday Yul Brnyer in the lead role some good action for inspiration!

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 03:05:16 PM »
Thanks guys.

Great paint job :-* as it happens I was watching pancho Villa on the telly yesterday Yul Brnyer in the lead role some good action for inspiration!

Funny!  I watched "Villa Rides" on Friday night.  Definitely good inspiration.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 03:08:05 PM by DFlynSqrl »

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 04:36:15 PM »
Nice work.  Really like the colors on the serape on the fellow all the way to the left.  Viva Villa!
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 02:08:10 PM »
I was talking to the guys from Brigade Games the other day. Because I am looking at building up a force for Pershing expedition, and they told me that they should be releasing some Federal troops by the end of the month. And Will look at making mounted troops after that.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 03:40:07 PM »
@DoctorPete Thank you very much.

@commissarmoody  That's great news.  I really like the Brigade sculpts.  I'm currently painting my Federales from the Old Glory line.  Not the same quality of sculpts and poses but still pretty nice overall.  I'll look forward to having more units from Brigade in the future.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 03:50:10 PM »
That is pretty cool, I was wondering how well the old glory mins stood up to the Brigade sculpts.

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 10:10:12 AM »
Dflynsqrl

love what you have done with my figures.....great paint job, the brigade

games figs look cool to!!. ;)

regards
Ged
www.gringo40s.com
www.gringo40s.blogspot.com
and 28mm ranges

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 11:45:51 AM »
Thanks Ged.  They were great to paint.  I hope you get back to the Mexican Revolution soon and make some more figs.

Rod

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 03:36:24 PM »
Rod

im on it my friend.............immersed in 28mm figures as we speak...

Maximillian........Mexican Revolution.......loads!! ;)

regards

Ged
www.gringo40s.com
www.gringo40s.blogspot,com
and 28mm ranges

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 12:07:32 AM »
I like your stuff.This is an interesting period. I have been playing Red Dead Redemption, which is set during the Mexican revolution. Another good source of inspiration- although I doubt there is even a passing resemblance to history. Still, it makes me think that this period might be suitable for a skirmish game.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 01:07:30 AM »
I played Red Dead Redemption when it first came out.  I forgot all about it being right there on the border.  Yeah, that did have some good inspiration for scenarios.  Thanks for the reminder!

I think the Mexican Revolution has a lot of potential for skirmishing gaming.  Big battles, small skirmishes and even more "adventure" oriented smaller scale stuff. 

Adventure examples: 
1) You have gun smugglers bringing guns into Mexico dodging US Cavalry patrols... who were tipped off by the same people who just sold the Mexicans the guns and ammo.
2) Tribes of indians out doing their own thing (Yaqui's and Tarahumara are some examples), sometimes they join the rebel armies. 
3) The city of El Paso has international spies and secret conferences between different factions and nations taking place here and there. 
4) Rebel factions that are working together but not always with the same goals. 
5) Indians often speak of a lost Spanish Mine hidden in the hills

There's lots of different directions you could go (like most wars...).  I started out with the intention of doing the Pershing chase of Pancho Villa, but was really grabbed by the events of the 1913-1914 portion of the Revolution.

Rod