Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:10:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691128
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: what mini company do you guys use for pirates?  (Read 7795 times)

Offline monkme

• Assistant
what mini company do you guys use for pirates?
« on: March 04, 2008, 09:32:15 PM »
Hello there being new to the swashbuckling side of life I am in need of some advice! What make of minis do you all use and do you think that the heroic 28mms are that much of a problem using them against the slightly smaller minis?

I saw on one of the other threads that there was a comaprison picture but it only included a few companies (foundry, brigade and black cat i think?) Tho how do artizan, crusader, redoubt and black scorpion go with them? I especially like the black cat minis

As I have absolutely no pirates or their foes I want to buy a nice mix of minis from many companies and not feel restricted to just buying one range.

I hope that makes sense anyways! Thanks for the help in advance!
-------------------
We're Doomed!!

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 09:40:44 PM »
I have the Captain Morgan pack from Foundry, some plastic Citadel free company/Mordheim mercenary ones built to look like pirates, 2 plastic pirates from the Dark World game, a metal zombie pirate from Irregular (which I believe were sculpted by Mike Broadbent from Eureka), a metal one from Redoubt I think and a last metal one who is very quiet about his origins (I can't remember in other words :lol: ). They all seem to work together fine. Hope this is something like what you wanted. :?:
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline monkme

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 10:03:13 PM »
yeah it is thanks :) i like so many of the figures around but i just want to make sure they will all fit in together before i buy them!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 10:12:49 PM »
I make it a point to try to gather swashbuckling miniatures from as many companies as possible. You stop caring about the size differences after a while.

Artizan and Crusader are both a very sensible 28mm that go well together with pretty much any other figures (although some of the Crusader pirates are sculpted to look short or tall of stature). The Redoubt pirates are 25mm (whereas their Three Musketeers figures are 30mm or more). I don't have any Black Cat figures yet, so I can't help you with those.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 12:11:54 AM »
The Black Cat figures are about 35mm and designed to fit with both Reaper and Black Scorpion (who as you can guess have larger figures).

Brigade's line of swashbucklers and pirates are 28mm and fit in well with Foundry.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 06:22:50 AM »
I have lots of Foundry  Pirates done always a good place to start.  I am now into the Black scorpion (BS) pirates they are larger but very nice.  I have also found that some of the Privateer press figures (although Sci fi) work well, I love their press gangers, it has a pirate girl waging her finger in a come hither motion, only to be whack on the head and a sailor carrying a bag fill with a hapless soul bound for sea. She would make a nice companion figure to the BS girl blowing a kiss.

http://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/range.asp?the_range=PIR
http://privateerpress.com/default.php?x=products/pip41058
http://www.privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/gallery/default.php?level=picture&id=381
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 06:51:35 AM »
Hi, I intend to buy some pirates too,moveover my pirates will be the new Brigade Games Gnome Pirates as these guys look real cuties especially Lucky Lon :lol:

Good luck in your search for the figures that will fit into your collection.

Cheerio 8)

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 07:39:54 AM »
Foundry !
I still have them in my lead pile and they look good.
Björn
, ,

Offline Black Cat Bases

• Catwoman
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackcatbases.com
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 08:49:56 AM »
Hi The Majority of our figures are 31mm foot to eye, They fit in well with Black scorpian, Reaper, GW, Freebooter and Privateer Press. Keep an eye out for loads of new releases, Life is delaying these a bit, but should be out very soon and we have some cracking models.

So this isn't a total sock puppet I really like all of the above mentioned companies they all make fine products and and are nice people :lol:

Ps Bill at Musketeer makes some lovely character Pirates, Well worth a look.
Ben

Offline RJ

• Scientist
    • http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 08:58:25 AM »
I go with Foundry and black scorpion. Not mixed together tho because of the scale differance.
Check out my blog here:

http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/

Accepting painting comissions

Offline monkme

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 12:15:25 PM »
thanks for the help guys! I did get the johnny depp looking fellow from musketeer yesterday. I think im going to go with the slightly larger models I think.

The thing about using the foundry minis is the fact they are too darn expensive with postage and everything and i only like a few of the their models really.

So alas I think i'm going to be starting with a mixture of Crusader, Artizan, Black Cat and Black scorpion.

Not everyone in life are the same height anyways are they?! :lol:

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 12:25:42 PM »
Foundry, Artizan, Crusader, the new ones from a company I can't remember [but who do the Jack Sparrow-alike] and some OGs. Also Captain Wotsiname that came with the copy of LOTHS I got from North Star. Lovely figure! The vast majority are Foundry, as I got a load of them with the old cheap re-inforcement packs they used to do.

Like twrchtrwyth I have some GW figures, from when they released a mixed pack of plastic sprues to make "zombie-pirates" a while back. Haven't started them yet, but may well do once the inevitable zombie rules appear for LOTHS  :lol:

Whilst I love the Black Scorpions or, they are just too big for me to use any but a few as really big blokes. I aim to have a look & compare them to "standard" 28s in a couple of weeks. They are too good not to have any at all.

Offline Rob_Jedi

• Librarian
    • Rob Jedi's Miniature Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 01:48:28 AM »
A mix from everywhere works pretty well with pirates, only ones I've had issues with are older Foundry ones which suffer from early 90s scrunched proportions that requires surgery to fit in with more modern stuff.

this is a mix of Reaper, 7th Sea, Black Scorpion, GW and Spyglass miniatures

here's more waiting for paint, mostly Privateer Press Warmachine, Reaper, Black Scorpion and a few more 7th Sea and a dead Eureka pirate

haven't dipped into the Artizan or Black Cat ranges yet but I want to (mind you a big box of more PP stuff arrived yesterday)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 09:48:13 AM »
Rob_Jedi, who is the little guy at the front of the bottom pic? Is he he meant to be a halfling or a child? I can't quite make it out from the photo.

It's avery nice mini anyway.

Offline Strand

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 10:05:38 AM »
I use the Eureka female pirate crew and assorted Reaper female pirates as heroes to stand out.
"No, no you fools!"