Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:13:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: what mini company do you guys use for pirates?  (Read 7796 times)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
what mini company do you guys use for pirates?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 03:27:17 PM »
Rob_Jedi, this is brillant painting and very nice basing!

Are you painting from a black undercoat, or from a white with blacklining afterwards? Very clear colours and crisp linework!

Bases are scribed balsa, I guess?

Again, really nice pirates!  :love:  :love:

Offline monkme

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 06:02:51 PM »
Does anyone know of a Uk stocklist for Brigade?
-------------------
We're Doomed!!

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 06:35:02 PM »
Quote from: "monkme"
Does anyone know of a Uk stocklist for Brigade?

Nick at Northstar.

http://www.northstarfigures.com/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 07:22:30 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
Nick at Northstar.

That's what I was going to say, but upon visiting his site to check, I'm buggered if I can find them. They're not listed in the "shop" section any more. All the old pages still exist, but don't seem to be linked to the main site at the moment. I only have this address because I bookmarked it:

http://www.northstarfigures.com/shop/brigadegames28mm/index.html

I'm not quite sure what the situation there is at the moment, but I had the devil of a wait last time I tried to get Brigade stuff via Nick (which isn't the norm for him I must add: Brigade stuff always used to come quickly, and Great War Miniatures still do).
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 07:37:29 PM »
You folks in the other hemisphere might try ordering directly from Brigade, what with the unholy strength of your peculiar, colorful currencies relative to our American Peso. Ignore the automated shipping calculator - it's never right and you only ever get billed the actual amount.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
Good advice. The only bother I've had ordering from Lon has been a slight case of 'that pack is out of stock at the moment and there will be a short wait as we need to get some more of them cast.'

I wouldn't hesitate to go to him again. In fact I almost certainly will at some point, as I am still greedily eyeing up his A7V, which folks tell me is nicer than the Old Glory one.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 08:04:50 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
You folks in the other hemisphere might try ordering directly from Brigade, what with the unholy strength of your peculiar, colorful currencies relative to our American Peso. Ignore the automated shipping calculator - it's never right and you only ever get billed the actual amount.

I will second that, top service form brigade.

I did see some packs of Brigade pirates on sale from Chiltern, which was nice

Offline Rob_Jedi

• Librarian
    • Rob Jedi's Miniature Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 12:11:05 AM »
Thanks for that info about Brigade, I've looked at the site a few times and always been scared off by the postage.

Back to questions, the little guy wielding a ladel is a halfling pirate from Reaper.

Bases are indeed balsa wood.

Painting is either over black prime or grey.

My dark lining is usually done after I do an area I line the edge then do the adjoining area leaving the line ie: paint the shirt, then paint the belt dark then paint the belt. Generally work from dark to light anyway.

there's a fair few in progress photos in here
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Rob_Jedi/Pirates/

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 12:44:31 AM »
Sorry for the quality, my editing software decided it doesn't want to work, and the picture isn't that good anyway. It might be helpful for size comparison.

Back row: Citadel plastic, Redubt?, Dark World game plastic.
Front row: Foundry Captain Morgan, Unknown, Irregular zombie pirate, old Citadel thief.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 02:57:30 AM »
Do you have a limited budget?  If not, look at these that I've been collecting:

Regular pirates:  lots of Foundry, a few Reaper, friends have some useable Old Glory (especially special packs like the governor and henchmen or the buried treasure pack)

Female pirates:  all the Bronze Age Miniatures (for those times when the Victoria's Secret island photo shoot gets caught in a time warp in the Bermuda Triangle), a few Foundry (in with the Foundry packs), a few Reaper

Skeletal Pirates:  Moonlight 28s (nearly all of them), the pack of Old Glory zombie pirates that came with the Black Cutlass (30 figs), several Reaper (the "Ratzig" faction of some line that comes with slota bases), but I have not tried the Eureka skeletal pirates

Arab pirates:  Foundry Zanzibaris and Baluchis from the Darkest Africa line, a few Reaper as character figures

Natives:  Foundry Darkest Africa, a few Copplestone Amazon tribes, and thinking about getting a lot of Old Glory cannibals from the pirate line because these looked really good in a convention game I played last year

Chinese pirates:  Foundry Chinese pirate packs, several packs of Pulp Figures which don't have modern weapons, and I know of other people who have Old Glory Boxer figures that could be used as Chinese pirates

Soldiers:  so far a few Foundry "Early Marlburians" in the "informal" tricorne (which I usually call a floppy hat), but a friend has some excellent Dixon War of the League of Augsburg and Monmouth's Rebellion figures that really fit the bill for late 17th Century

Civilians:  an eclectic mix of Blue Moon AWI civilians, Reaper villager packs,  Reaper individual female figures which sometimes need modification to remove the fantasy elements, Foundry Mexican civilians, and whatever else I can find that might work from Old Glory or Front Rank or anybody else

Hope this gets you looking...

Warren
Sailors have more fun!