Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:44:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691112
  • Total Topics: 118374
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Inspirational: mathematical architecture  (Read 2502 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Inspirational: mathematical architecture
« on: September 24, 2012, 08:39:35 AM »
Yet another of my pet peeves being that the miniatures depicting "buildings of the future" don't really look that futuristic as a whole. Here's some that do look futuristic (tho of course they already exist so they aren't) for inspiration to those who like to try their hand at something else than boxes:
http://www.flavorwire.com/330293/10-amazing-examples-of-architecture-inspired-by-mathematics

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
Re: Inspirational: mathematical architecture
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 04:11:42 PM »
So many gaming futures are Grim Futures though.  You'd have to make those buildings, but shelled/wrecked/overgrown.  As is they'd be great for Pulp Space/Buck Rogers-type settings.

Offline zorg

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »
Those are very cool buildings, but they're much more difficult to model than regular boxes. However, I'm pretty certain I've seen parts for the Cube Village somewhere; I think it was a paper model iirc.
understanding is a three-edged sword

Offline Hildred Castaigne

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 06:10:44 PM »
Yet another of my pet peeves being that the miniatures depicting "buildings of the future" don't really look that futuristic as a whole. Here's some that do look futuristic (tho of course they already exist so they aren't) for inspiration to those who like to try their hand at something else than boxes:
http://www.flavorwire.com/330293/10-amazing-examples-of-architecture-inspired-by-mathematics
Funny, one of my pet peeves is all the steel and glass of modern buildings!  lol
But I see your point about doing something different.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 04:35:44 AM »
I think it's worth noting also, that all of those buildings are rare, one-off design studies as much as they are purpose built structures.  The cost/economics of that stuff would prevent it from being the "way of the future" unless economies changed significantly.

I love seeing different crazy architecture though. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 06:53:11 AM »
Yes I'm well awere that the buildings from the link are all one-offs but there is no particular reason to imagine that making something similar to them is going to require ever increasing resources, thus keeping them as one-offs.

---

Funny, one of my pet peeves is all the steel and glass of modern buildings!  lol
Ah so you are one of those who agree with miniature manufacturers that it'll be be nicer to have brick and mortal till the heat death of the universe? Well, if it suits you sir then why not 8)

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 07:11:20 AM »
Yes I'm well awere that the buildings from the link are all one-offs but there is no particular reason to imagine that making something similar to them is going to require ever increasing resources, thus keeping them as one-offs.

I think you have your problem there. It is not, and hasn't been for a long time, about resources.

They are swine to design. You can whip up the outline of such a building up in no time in CAD. But then you have to get the blasted thing to not leak (there is a reason why most buildings have sloping roofs) and to be wired and plumbed (difficult when you have few external walls). Lots of glass looks lovely, but can be a major pain unless oriented right, or they become ovens in summer. Plus everyone can see in, all the time.

As a person who lives in a building that is slightly different from most, I can also tell you that resale value comes into it. It's bad enough to pay way over the odds to build a house, but to then be unable to sell it because it is too personal is a real downer. Despite what they say, most people don't like unusual houses to live in. They like boring – easy and reliable boring.

Many of the world's most interesting buildings fail miserably as anything other than art. Fallingwater wasn't strong enough and nearly fell down. The Villa Savoye leaks and was hard to live in.

We have the resources to dress in pretty much anyway we want. Yet people wear the same colours, in the same styles and the same patterns. Why do you imagine houses would be different?

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 07:15:59 AM »
So you think we'll continue to live in... what exactly?

You may have a point about difficulty of design, especially if you like to assume that there won't be anything that can aid that design such as AIs. With the caveat that (1) designing is a resource and (2) some of these peculiar forms have been already designed and could thus be replicated with much less effort. Perhaps not as housing projects but for public buildings and the like.

But be that as it may...
We have the resources to dress in pretty much anyway we want. Yet people wear the same colours, in the same styles and the same patterns. Why do you imagine houses would be different?
...this clothing example is so very poor I can't led it slide. People don't wear the same colour, same styles and same patterns, not where I live anyway.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:20:12 AM by tnjrp »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 04:54:09 AM »
I think where people have real issues is when the architecture is just absurdly inappropriate. Like 40k fought in a city of 1930's brownstones, 1950's warehouses, and ruined WWII-era city blocks.

Maybe those really wild shapes are one-offs, but I've noticed that the near-future infinity-type games do at least try to have buildings and scenery that match that style (of course both the figure style and building style are usually ripped from animes and video games, but still, it at least works and is consistent).

We don't really know what generic utilitarian buildings look like in the absurd year 40,000, but I doubt it looks like a 70s block of council flats and more than todays houses look like straw huts or wattle-and-daub cottages.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 07:39:49 AM »
+1

I was tempted to add something to that but it really doesn't need anything 8)

Offline Hildred Castaigne

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 05:54:43 PM »
Ah so you are one of those who agree with miniature manufacturers that it'll be be nicer to have brick and mortal till the heat death of the universe? Well, if it suits you sir then why not 8)
I just find steel and glass buildings hideous! ;)
Also, they are a nuisance to build from scratch.

While I'm at it, this might interest you. I saw this on CNN about Dubai undergoing redevelopment.
The site for the marina is by far the best for exploring.
http://www.dubaimaritimecity.com/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:23:20 PM by Hildred Castaigne »