Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:57:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690934
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 704
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Netflix show - Frontier  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: New Netflix show - Frontier
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 10:45:22 AM »
I have just inhaled The Expanse and have almsot finished inhaling Stranger Things on Netflix. Both outstanding. I don't think I'll be inhaling this one somehow though. Wouldn't it be nice, just once, to see a historical drama that felt real... I guess Wolf Hall was it...

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »
One of the fellows I occasionally game with worked o  HBO's aborted Lewis and Clark series. One of the things he said that killed it was the mandatory sex scenes per episode and the creative team trying to fight back.

Offline RC_Robert

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 06:29:56 PM »
The story hasn't grabbed me after watching 4 episodes.   It's not so bad I won't watch the rest.    What I hate about it is the costumes for the main characters.  Not sure when the show takes place sometime maybe between the American Revolution and the war of 1812.  But I'm pretty sure people didn't dress like they were in Assassin's Creed.

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 07:24:31 PM »
Ah yes. The rule of cool on costumes, remember! Hoods? Leatherwork? Gotta look badass, that's the most important thing!

Offline admiraldick

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 09:42:16 PM »
I'm currently on Ep3. The first tried to do more than it should, so felt cheap. Now that they are all in one location it feels better. The costumes of some characters are pretty jarring, but that doesn't have to ruin a show (Vikings and Black Sails are both great shows inspite of their costume choices).

It's reminicent of Turn and Klondike. An interesting time and setting for a tv show. I'm not sad its been made. I suspect this season will be a bit weak, but I think a second season will allow it to find its feet.

Eitherway, now I want to play a skirmish game based on it.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 09:50:30 PM »
The story hasn't grabbed me after watching 4 episodes.   It's not so bad I won't watch the rest.    What I hate about it is the costumes for the main characters.  Not sure when the show takes place sometime maybe between the American Revolution and the war of 1812.  But I'm pretty sure people didn't dress like they were in Assassin's Creed.

I've been trying to work out when it's set.  I'm not that well up in uniforms from this period.  The HBC soldiers look like AWI era troops but then they had a couple in stovepipe shakos.  I thought they were several decades later?

Offline admiraldick

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 08:10:25 PM »
I know we're not all fans of the show, but I still think this might make a potentially interesting wargame. So I'm curious; how would you play it?

What rules would you want to sue for the setting? My feeling is that they ought to be small scale skirmish rules, somewhere between 10 and 40 models. My gut would say using Warhammer Historical Legends of the Old West/Legends of the High Seas adapted for the setting. But would something like Chosen Men work? Would Warlord's Black Powder be a decent starting place? Perhaps an adaptation of SAGA might work well.

Also, what models would you use for each of the major factions? The Hudson Bay Co. and Americans are pretty well catered for because of the abundance of ARW models. The Aboriginal peoples should be reasonably easy as well because there are various popular conflicts that could yield models. But what of the Scottish Low River Co.? Would Jacobite Rebellion models be too far out?

What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear them.

Offline michaelsbagley

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 09:29:35 PM »
Please keep in mind that I have not watched the show yet (and may not)...

But a quick read of the premise on Wikipedia has the show about the North-West Fur trade, particularly about the Hudson's Bay company's monopoly....

Now if they are trying to give any real nods to history, that would likely put it in the 1780s or 1790s, almost exactly between the American Revolution and North American War of 1812.

The "promo" image of Mamoa with a bunch of antler handled knives convinced me early it would not be historical, and any nods to real history would be superficial at best. While antler handled knives are a historical thing, those forked antler handles would almost be more of a threat to the wearer of them than the potential target of them.  o_o
If I knew who the evil genius was, I wouldn't need a diabolical plot to find him...

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 11:12:34 PM »
I watched some of it today.
Can't say I plan to watch anymore.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 11:53:43 PM »
Game of Thrones meets Turn - except that it has none of the best bits of either and nothing on it's own to offer.

(And I'm loosing interest in Taboo too!)