Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:20:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690455
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: stew's Brink of Battle thread, now with bad pics  (Read 3048 times)

Offline stew

• Lurker
stew's Brink of Battle thread, now with bad pics
« on: September 30, 2012, 02:44:24 AM »
I picked up Brink of Battle at Pacificon.  Gotta say that I really enjoy these rules.  I like the game play and I really like the tool kit approach to the force generation.  Over all great skrimish rules.

Course now that I'm on my own some questions came up....  : )
  And I hear this is the place for all things BoB.

For mainly period 1; if a model is armed with a spear or some other weapon with the 2-handed trait, can they also be armed with a shield? I have a lot of modules like that, but they are holding the spears in one hand.

If a model is armed with NO close combat weapon is engaged, he fights using the unarmed stats and is CBT/2?

Again, great set of rules and I am very happy with my purchase. I 'll be sure to post some AARs in the future.

-Stew
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 05:26:48 AM by stew »

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
Re: brink of battle questions
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 08:03:16 AM »
Thanks for your business and kind words!  I'm really glad you like them, and am also glad you had a good experience at Pacificon with us.  :)

Now, on to the questions: 

Spears do not have the 2-hands Weapon Trait, so you can use them in Close combat with a Shield or Buckler.  Pikes, Great Swords, Great Cleavers, and Great Bludgeons, as well as Halberds, all have the 2-hands Trait.  If you are walking around out of Close combat and have a Shield, then you get to use it toward your Armor Rating.  If you are in Close combat and want to use your 2-hands weapon, then you can't use the shield.  However, each Turn you can choose to use different weapons if your model is so equipped.  For instance, my Pikeman with a Pike & Sword can use the Pike in Close combat one Turn, then because its Unweidly, he must go to his hanger (sword) for subsequent Turns if he's Engaged in the same Close combat.

And you are correct on the Unarmed question.  CBT/2 and Low Impact, which grants your opponent a +1 to his Armor Rating.

I'm working at getting some resources together to produce some tutorial videos for the website.  I'll be sure to make many loud and farreaching announcements once those go up, which should really help with all the nuances found in the rules.

And you are correct Stew, you can post any BoB related questions here and we'll get them answered.  :)
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline stew

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 03:07:55 AM »
hmm, after reading the spear entry again, i realize that i must of failed my reading comprehension base check.   :)

but i'm still glad i asked as it lead to a more elaborate discussion of the 2 handed trait.

i have a game of BoB coming up.  i'll try to take some pictures and such. 

thanks for answering my questions.  i do appreciate it.

-Stew

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 05:30:57 AM »
No worries.  You made it with a re-roll.   lol

Can't wait to see your BatReps!

Offline stew

• Lurker
Re: stew's Brink of Battle thread, now with bad pics
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 05:37:06 AM »
so i did play another game of BoB.  this was the second.  i went large at 1000 pts and had a horde face a standard force. 

my buddy and i don't have a lot of 25/28mm historical models, but we a crap ton of fantasy.  so we set in the LoTR universe (that's lord of the rings).  so a horde of lightly armed orcs versus some more heavily armored men of the west.  we played recon.  17 models in the horde and 11 in the standard force.  so pretend it's romans fights guals or something.  :)

my wife stole the camera so i had to rely on my crappy cell phone for pics, and the game was very fun, so fun i didn't take too many shots. 

men advance up the middle

orcs flow around the sides

and the other flank

the men cut down the first orcs with ease

men push up the middle, but are overwhelmed.

it was a great game and BoB is becoming our favorite skirmish rule set.

-Stew

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
Re: stew's Brink of Battle thread, now with bad pics
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 09:18:16 PM »
Waaay cool! 

You can download the free fantasy rules at Wargame Vault. Look for Epic Heroes on their site.

Glad you had a blast!