Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:00:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for a ruleset for WWWII in 15mm  (Read 4604 times)

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Looking for a ruleset for WWWII in 15mm
« on: September 27, 2012, 03:33:48 PM »
Would like to hear any recommendations for WWWII rulesets for 15mm, while I've enjoyed immensely SotTR for games in 28mm, I'd like to try 15, principally to include larger armoured formations. I'd appreciate a ruleset which represented gun vs. armour with a greater degree of 'realism' than is generally present in 28mm (not a complaint, as a 28mm tabletop is pretty much point blank for tanks, so I get why the relative merits of tank armaments is less obvious at this scale).
 We seem to be pretty well served as far as miniatures go, so I don't anticipate any real problems representing most SotTR units at 15mm (though if anyone's given the matter any thought... any suggestions gratefully received).
 How about Gear Krieg for instance, (does it include any sort of vehicle/unit design rules, to allow you to create the types of mech common to SotTR, or create units such as Jaegerhunds) or can Victory Decision be used for 15mm (I had considered simply substituting inches for cm & using the SotTR rules, but it isn't completely satisfying).
I eagerly await the veils of confusion being lifted!

Offline robertsjf

• Librarian
Re: Looking for a ruleset for WWWII in 15mm
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:34:33 PM »
I enjoy gear krieg but it doesn't really have the customization you're looking for. Victory Decision would probably be a better bet as you could simply spam the developer's email for rough stat ideas on units you have in mind (Agis is very responsive).

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
    • My DeviantArt portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »
For designing vehicles in Gear Krieg, one can use the Heavy Gear vehicle design rules (free on DP9's website) or use the rules at the end of the Superscience book. Both use the Silhouette system, and are the same apart from some little quirks (like Attenuated Damage is Minus Damage per Band in HG)
Read "Alfie's Tenners", appearing in Aurora magazine!
Expand your GK forces with cardboard models, available on DriveThruRPG!http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=4773_4902
Your ad here, for a low price!

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 09:44:31 PM »
I'd go with Victory Decision, especially if you can wait for Agis to release the Gear Krieg ruleset. Mainly depends on which era (early/mid/late) you were looking at - GK tends to be 'early/mid' war. Battlefield Evolution:World at War (the rules from which ViDe came) may also be of some use - lots of GK and other stuff such as 'E series' armour (keep an eye on Kurasan, the Karkpanzer is an E10 like vehicle, and Heer 46 and Forged in Battle do the bigger E series tanks (E50 and E75)). Both systems use individual based infantry, though group fire.

Then don't forget Clockwork Goblin have a ruleset in the works - the figures that would work of SotR heavy Armour.

Offline Marauder

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 10:54:58 PM »
ViDe works for 15mm, so I don't see why any future ViDe product (Gear Krieg or generic Weird war) wouldn't also be in 15mm.

-Tim

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »
Thanks for the pointers, I was leaning toward ViDe as it seems pretty flexible. Late war was the period I was looking to use, (SotTR being set in 1949) & I realise that GK, as Nilbog stated, is early/mid war - though I'm sure units from it will prove useful.
 The Heer 46 E-series tanks are excellent, (& what tipped the scales for the whole project) & the Clockwork Goblin vehicles & armoured infantry look pretty good, I wasn't aware that they had a ruleset in the works, so we'll have to see what emerges. Does anyone know if anyone makes Centurions (ideally a MkIII) & JS IIIs in 15mm? Both are useable for the time period & I imagine Heer 46 will complete the heavy trio with an E-100 at some point (Peter Pigs Maus will certainly suffice for the moment).

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 05:28:07 PM »
I enjoy gear krieg but it doesn't really have the customization you're looking for. Victory Decision would probably be a better bet as you could simply spam the developer's email for rough stat ideas on units you have in mind (Agis is very responsive).
True I am normally answering mails or topics very fast, but spamming me is not a good idea...
 ;) ;) ;)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 05:41:29 PM »
I'd go with Victory Decision, especially if you can wait for Agis to release the Gear Krieg ruleset. Mainly depends on which era (early/mid/late) you were looking at - GK tends to be 'early/mid' war.
I am right now finishing the Victory Decision: Gear Krieg book, it will be the biggest book I have done so far, over 200 pages.
All the rules, the full background of the original Tactical game and army lists for German, British, Japanese, US and Soviet forces.
Every list will some GK “specials":
Germany: Loki, Thor, Uller and Valkyrie walkers, Tiger EXS with guided rocket, Rockettroops and Zombies
British: Cavalier and Roundhead walkers, Tesla Churchill tank, Boarhound Armoured Car
US: Longstreet and Early walkers, Helitroops
Soviet: Lend lease Cavalier and Early L1 and L2, KV-2C Heavy Tesla Tank, T-44 Nikolai Lenin tank
Japanese: ShiKi Walker and Zombies

Best thing everything will be 100% compatible with all my previous ViDe books.
So if you want to play late war, simple get the late ViDe lists you want and add some Gear Krieg models.
To get an idea you can always download the free Gear Krieg preview!

Offline Marauder

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »
Agis:

Do you need the ViDe WWII rules to play with the GK book, or is GK stand alone?

Are you still planning on a generic Weird War book for ViDe?  Will it be stand alone or a supplement?  Will it have unit construction rules?

-Tim

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 05:52:06 PM »
The Heer 46 E-series tanks are excellent, (& what tipped the scales for the whole project)
So true, I have the E-50 and E-75 on the to paint table right now, very good models.
I will also release the ViDe rules for these beast soon...

Does anyone know if anyone makes Centurions (ideally a MkIII) & JS IIIs in 15mm? I imagine Heer 46 will complete the heavy trio with an E-100 at some point.
IIRC Heer 46 will not do the E-100 since Forged in Battle have it in the pipeline.
Not sure for the Centurion, Quality Casting has a later Centurion, maybe some conversion work will help.
JS II is available from
QRF: http://quickreactionforce.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=440_441_513_645&products_id=5509
and IIRC Old Glory, I have 2 somewhere around...

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 05:54:40 PM »
Agis: Do you need the ViDe WWII rules to play with the GK book, or is GK stand alone?
Are you still planning on a generic Weird War book for ViDe?  Will it be stand alone or a supplement?  Will it have unit construction rules?
The GK books will have ALL the rules included!  :o 8) And some more, like Zombie rules, new weapons features (Guided, Haywire, Sonic etc) and and and

The generic  weird war book (2013 or 2014) will be a supplement that also includes simple construction rules. Something like pre-generated walker; light, medium and heavy and weapon options. Stuff like that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:17:40 PM by Agis »

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 05:56:55 PM »
One more thing, ViDe is 100% 15mm ready.
The system was written with individual based minis in mind scale 6mm to 32mm in mind.
The books includes also rules for multi based infantry stand that work so well that they are my favoured way to play at the moment.
So no re basing needed!!!
 ;)

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 12:46:53 PM »
Cheers Agis,
 ViDe does seem the way to go. Look forward to FiB's E-100 & thanks for the link to the JS III. As for the Centurion, the later model would have been fine, but Quality Casting actually does five Centurions, three of them being variations on the Mk III (two 20 pnd & one with the retrofitted 105mm) so you struck gold on that one!
 (They also do N Korean infantry, so I feel a Korean war project coming on.) 

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 01:36:43 PM »
The USE ME horror and WW2 rules might be worth a look.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 01:55:16 PM »
Cheers Agis,
 ViDe does seem the way to go. Look forward to FiB's E-100 ...
Just finished it and will show it tomorrow... 8)