Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:37:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: EOTD rules questions  (Read 1878 times)

Offline d(sqrt(-1))

• Assistant
EOTD rules questions
« on: September 28, 2012, 09:39:01 AM »
I posted the following EOTD rules questions on the West Wind forum on 7 Sept, not had a single reply, so I thought I'd try here! I haven't played yet, so my apologies if there are obvious solutions.

•Combat: A (sword) charges B (sword/pistol). If A has initiative, and charges into contact with B, on B's initiative can he use an action to fire, or is he locked into combat and unable to take actions? i.e. does B get a shot in as A approaches, and then get to use his pistol in combat, or just use it in combat? Page 36 says that any model in combat is not considered a legitimate target - even for the figure involved in that combat? It reads to me as though B would not get a shot in this case, only the combat rolls. If B had won initiative, B could fire at A at range, and then A would charge on his turn.

•Improvised Weapons: If you have a rifle etc, can it count as an improvised weapon in combat? I would think it could.

•(p52) Spine Chilling: The text says that to charge you make a Bravado check (1d10+Bravado). However the example below it seems to think that target's Bravado level is important, and also mentions a holy symbol having a Spine Chilling level equal to the target's Bravado. The text for Holy symbol on p92 doesn't say anything about this.

•(p69) Nosferatu Graf/Count: I find the text on what weapons/items are allowed a bit confusingly worded:

"The Graf can use only medieval weapons and equipment from the Nosferatu and exotic weapons and equipment lists and the generic equipment list."

Does the "Can only use medieval weapons" part apply to ALL these lists, or just some? For example, the generic equipment list has no medieval (M) items. Can a Graf wear armour? Can they use Unholy Symbols? I'm not sure on the first, but I would think they could on the second.

•(p91) Pistols in combat:

"If using a pistol in combat only one wound is resolved at pistol strength. If two pistols are used your combat attribute is reduced by one. But all attacks wound at the pistol's strength"

Does this last sentence apply to one or two pistols, or just two? It seems to me that maybe it should be only for two pistols but I'm unsure from the construction. If you are wielding two pistols in combat, presumably you get an extra dice for two weapons?

•(p91) Two-Handed weapons: Should these be medieval (M)?

•(p125) Improvement: "1 advancement roll per hero". Is that really a limit, or should it be 1 advancement roll per faction member? Obviously you have to pay the 10 shillings for each advancement. i.e. if my faction has 6 members, 2 can be Heroes. Am I only allowed 2 rolls in the post game phase, to apply to Heroes or Subordinates as I wish (max cost 20 shillings), or am I allowed 6 improvement rolls, 1 per faction member, at a max cost of 60 shillings?

•(p125) Improvement: Does a faction have to field all its figures in a skirmish? If not, then are the unused figures eligible for improvement rolls?

•(p132) Hammer Blow: The rule text says that a target is knocked back 1d5+(attacks-1) in inches. The example however talks about taking strength 3 hits for being knocked into things, which isn't mentioned in the rules text. Not sure where this comes from.

cheers,

Mark

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Re: EOTD rules questions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 11:56:20 AM »
•Combat: A (sword) charges B (sword/pistol). If A has initiative, and charges into contact with B, on B's initiative can he use an action to fire, or is he locked into combat and unable to take actions? i.e. does B get a shot in as A approaches, and then get to use his pistol in combat, or just use it in combat? Page 36 says that any model in combat is not considered a legitimate target - even for the figure involved in that combat? It reads to me as though B would not get a shot in this case, only the combat rolls. If B had won initiative, B could fire at A at range, and then A would charge on his turn.

B is locked in combat and cannot act on his Action phase. If he were on a wait and shoot action he could fire as he was charged but in the stated case A got to acxt first.

•Improvised Weapons: If you have a rifle etc, can it count as an improvised weapon in combat? I would think it could.

That makes perfect sense. In our group we went a little further and gave a rifle, being a two handed weap[on, a plus 1 to STR when used ias an improvised weapon

•(p52) Spine Chilling: The text says that to charge you make a Bravado check (1d10+Bravado). However the example below it seems to think that target's Bravado level is important, and also mentions a holy symbol having a Spine Chilling level equal to the target's Bravado. The text for Holy symbol on p92 doesn't say anything about this.

When charging Spine Chilling models the Bravado check is an opposed one. You compare the scores of the two models involved and use the opposed roll chart just like if you were trying to wound.

•(p69) Nosferatu Graf/Count: I find the text on what weapons/items are allowed a bit confusingly worded:

"The Graf can use only medieval weapons and equipment from the Nosferatu and exotic weapons and equipment lists and the generic equipment list."

Does the "Can only use medieval weapons" part apply to ALL these lists, or just some? For example, the generic equipment list has no medieval (M) items. Can a Graf wear armour? Can they use Unholy Symbols? I'm not sure on the first, but I would think they could on the second.

In most cases a model can use whatever items are on its factions list. The Graf is further limited to using weapons that have the "M" or Medieval classification. This only appears on the weapons and exotic weapons lists so I think he's good using anything on the equipment lists.

•(p91) Pistols in combat:

"If using a pistol in combat only one wound is resolved at pistol strength. If two pistols are used your combat attribute is reduced by one. But all attacks wound at the pistol's strength"

Does this last sentence apply to one or two pistols, or just two? It seems to me that maybe it should be only for two pistols but I'm unsure from the construction. If you are wielding two pistols in combat, presumably you get an extra dice for two weapons?

Two pistols and you would get the extra die for two weapons. If you were using a sword and pistol you would get an extra die but it would use the sword Strength to resolve wounding[/i]

•(p91) Two-Handed weapons: Should these be medieval (M)?

Yes.

•(p125) Improvement: "1 advancement roll per hero". Is that really a limit, or should it be 1 advancement roll per faction member? Obviously you have to pay the 10 shillings for each advancement. i.e. if my faction has 6 members, 2 can be Heroes. Am I only allowed 2 rolls in the post game phase, to apply to Heroes or Subordinates as I wish (max cost 20 shillings), or am I allowed 6 improvement rolls, 1 per faction member, at a max cost of 60 shillings?

One per model. Sub ordinates have their on column on which to roll on the left of each chart

•(p125) Improvement: Does a faction have to field all its figures in a skirmish? If not, then are the unused figures eligible for improvement rolls?

I would say no, as it removes the "Risk vs Reward" factor, but I haven't read anything specific.

•(p132) Hammer Blow: The rule text says that a target is knocked back 1d5+(attacks-1) in inches. The example however talks about taking strength 3 hits for being knocked into things, which isn't mentioned in the rules text. Not sure where this comes from.

I think it is specific to the Hammer Blows dislocation effect. If the model is up against, or close to a wall it is likely it would hit the wall and take some damage.

Hope that helps. I've found that the solution that makes sense to your group is usually the correct one.

Mike

Offline d(sqrt(-1))

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 12:30:58 PM »

Great set of replies, thank you for that. I think they sound right, and as you say the group concensus is often the correct one.

I'm still unsure about Spine Chilling, but I think it's a case where part of the rule is only mentioned in an example (similarly with Hammer Blow), which is always a pet peeve of mine as you never quite know how it applies, and is easily overlooked.

Thanks again, I'll have another scan through the rules...

Mark

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »
Take a look at the opposed chart when you read the example of Spine Chilling. We spent half an hour over that one paragraph trying to figure out how they came to a result of 4 required to pass. Once we realized we needed to use the chart in this instance instead of the simpler method of rolling a modified 10 it made sense.

Offline d(sqrt(-1))

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »
Take a look at the opposed chart when you read the example of Spine Chilling. We spent half an hour over that one paragraph trying to figure out how they came to a result of 4 required to pass. Once we realized we needed to use the chart in this instance instead of the simpler method of rolling a modified 10 it made sense.

Ok. I'm glad it wasn't just me who was confused by this!