Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:47:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Quick question about Norman heraldry  (Read 4892 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Quick question about Norman heraldry
« on: September 29, 2012, 09:43:41 PM »
Right lads, this one's yours...

I have been looking at Norman shield designs and was wondering if they had any sort of household or livery system.

Its not really a period I know much about, but I'm inferring from what I've seen that aside from shields and flags there wasn't much to identify who was in who's service.

Does anyone know if there was a tradition of men at arms or retainers using their lord's colours or badges to identify them at that point in history? Or did people just tend to use their own and paint whatever they felt like on their shields? Obviously at that time there were no surcoats to display arms on, but surely there was some way to recognise friend and foe if they had lost their shields in battle.

Wasn't there? Wouldn't that be sensible?

This is bothering me more than it should, Morrisons have a special offer on real ale so I am slightly drunk and obsessive... sorry...  lol 

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: Quick question about Norman heraldry
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 10:01:09 PM »
As far as I'm aware this seems like a fairly grey area. I had the same dilemma when painting mine and I couldn't find much compelling evidence either way. Ultimately I decided it would be logical for them to share common shield designs or colours as a way of identifying each other but as I said I couldn't find solid evidence for this.

I've read several novels set during the Norman period and they included common designs so I figured that I would just go with it too.

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paul´s Bods
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 10:15:53 PM »
It´s a good question. The bayeux tapestry shows some "ephemeral personalised" shield designs (dragons and the like)but as far as I know the system of heraldry wasn´t brought into full effect until later
http://www.heraldry.ws/heraldry/index.html
I knew the truck didn´t want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paul´s Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 02:08:17 PM »
I'm not certain either, but I don't think there was a formal heraldic system in use at that time, it was largely a case of choosing your own personal 'avatar', which was then represented on your shield and banner... which led to a need to formalise things due to duplication.

I'd imagine it was very confusing as far as the identification went... presumably the body of men running towards you shouting something foreign would hint at which side they were on though.

;)

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Þorsteinn á Heiðini
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »
To echo what has been said no the Normans during the conquest had no sense of heraldry. The first instance of heraldry being used as a family idea in Anglo-Norman culture was Henry II adopting the leopard from his fathers arms and making them the Norman ducal (thus English royal as well) arms. That was not until the 12th century.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 05:30:33 PM »
Thanks chaps, that's about what I expected and nice to have it confirmed.  :)

So does that mean then, if I want to field a force comprising Baron Odo de Bodo and his retainers, the Baron would have his own colours (for want of a better word) and the soldiery would be able to make up their own? Or would they refelct his arms in some way, maybe a simplified version like half blue, half white instead of a white dragon on a blue field?

Or should I just make it up and go with whatever looks good?  :D

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 05:41:07 PM »
Or should I just make it up and go with whatever looks good?  :D

This  :D

I've seen (I believe on here several years ago) someone paint all his Normans in the same unit with matching shields; colours if not designs, and it looked wrong  :?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »
Their unifying colour would be 'chainmail' surely?  :D

I don't know, I would think their appeal would be their irregularity and lack of conformity. How that worked out for them in real life is a poser though...

:?

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 06:46:46 AM »
I'm not certain either, but I don't think there was a formal heraldic system in use at that time, it was largely a case of choosing your own personal 'avatar', which was then represented on your shield and banner... which led to a need to formalise things due to duplication.

I'd imagine it was very confusing as far as the identification went... presumably the body of men running towards you shouting something foreign would hint at which side they were on though.

;)

I suspect that at least three different languages were spoken by the William's forces alone at Hastings...

I suggest just googling some images from the Bayeux tapestry as well. Most of the shields seem to depict stylised crosses.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 09:17:57 AM »
I suspect that at least three different languages were spoken by the William's forces alone at Hastings...

None of them would be English though, so it still works... sort of.  :)

Good call on the Bayeux Tapestry though and I might add that there are loads of pics of Norman wargame figures, with some quite fantastic designs, on Google Images. Not a 'historical source', but worth seeing how someone else did it.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 08:39:06 PM »
Thanks for the input, all. Very useful.  :)